Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Suggestions for 2.1  (Read 266922 times)

October 21, 2012, 12:20:57 AMReply #200

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for 2.1
« Reply #200 on: October 21, 2012, 12:20:57 AM »
Are you sure Enc? I thought that was the video with you, Kalo and I that we didn't actually release because of certain reasons.

PS. I do plan to get to some other suggestions directly but for the past few days I've been posting mostly from my phone since I've been busy, and it's a pain to do research/long posts from a phone, but I have been reading everything. I'm not trying to ignore anyone.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 04:03:01 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 21, 2012, 09:10:49 AMReply #201

Offline mynameisyou

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-14
  • I'm not saying anything...Crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 21, 2012, 09:10:49 AM »
Add the Ssi-ruu.

October 21, 2012, 10:33:47 AMReply #202

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +33/-11
  • Did I mention GROUNDBREAKING?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 21, 2012, 10:33:47 AM »
Are you sure Enc? I thought that was the video with you, Kalo and I that we didn't actually release because of certain reasons.

No suh,

Add the Ssi-ruu.

One fairly big issue with that is that modelling and animating dinosaurs isn't exactly easy. I think Corey would agree it's a bit beyond our current capabilities at least to the extent of the ground side of things.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 10:35:41 AM by Enceladus »

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

October 21, 2012, 10:55:30 AMReply #203

Offline mynameisyou

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-14
  • I'm not saying anything...Crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 21, 2012, 10:55:30 AM »
then have there droids on the ground and there ships in space.

October 21, 2012, 11:05:40 AMReply #204

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +33/-11
  • Did I mention GROUNDBREAKING?
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »
Skimping out on a faction of dinos wouldn't do them much justice.

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

October 21, 2012, 06:40:31 PMReply #205

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 21, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Some quick additions for the PA that would fill a role could be B1 Battledroids as cheap infantry from former CIS worlds and AT-TE since they were used in outer rim campaigns by the Empire and some probably fell into the hands of the PA.
The problem with the B1 is that the PA's infantry already are the most numerous and worst as it is, the B1's are even farther in the same part of the spectrum. We'd only potentially include them as part of the whole CSA thing, since most of them ended up there.

The AT-TE is something we've said we want to do in multiple places, including several times in this thread, however there's some issues with actually making the art assets for it.

And for the NR, would ULAV or T-16 Skyhopper be pointless additions or serve a role?

The U-LAV is another vehicle we used to have but which got cut. In general it was just underwhelming. Two blasters at the front with the turret at the back, and with its limited firing arc there was just never a reason to build it instead of the T2-B  (and I imagine the Freerunner's presence now would make it even worse). We could technically use it for Zsinj as well, but we'd have to overcome that general feeling of uselessness it came with.

The T-16 would just be kind of redundant. We already have the Snowspeeder and the V-Wing for the NR for air vehicles, and it would just be a worse one of those for whatever era it ended up in.

Quote from: Singularity
-Dauntless-class heavy cruiser
-Bulwark-class battle cruiser
-Liberator-class cruiser

The main problems with the Liberator, Bulwark and Dauntless tend to be their obscurity. It's kind of limited, and pretty minor, but from what we know they're essentially filling the same roles as multiple other ships the NR already has, and the NR essentially has a full space roster in every era so putting them in means taking something else out, in the case of the Liberator and the Dauntless. We considered doing the Dauntless for 2.0 and may do it for 2.1, but it's a pretty low chance.

With the Bulwark, it's a balance thing as well as a relevence thing. They must have been very rare, but they're also about 2500 meters and as powerful as a Praetor, so it's not the kind of tool we want to give the NR early on.

I'd say some pretty similar things about the Imperial fighters you've suggested as well. The main challenges with the IR/NR at this point is avoiding oversaturating them as opposed to finding more stuff to give them. They're relatively complete as is, with a considerable amount of variance between eras. There's a lot of stuff we *could* add as far as they go, and certainly a bit more room for some different ships for some of the IR eras (I'd say 4-5 are a bit too similar
at this point) but I'm not sure that more fighters really have a place within the faction. Some of the stuff, ie the TIE AVenger could have a place within the PA however.

-RTT

I'm not actually sure what this refers to. Link?

PA:
-Correllian Gunship (DP90)
Not sure why they'd need or have this.

PA:
-Victory-II Class Frigate
There's really no information on what this did, what its size was, etc since all of it came from Battlefront and is therefore completely out of whack with anything that would make sense in the rest of SW. All it really is is a weirdly sized design at this point.

PA:
-V-Wing
Something we're considering, depending on how their fighters feel later on.

PA:
-ARC-170
Effectively does the same stuff as the TIE Hunter, so unless we pushed the Hunter a bit further down the Era line I don't think we'd do it.

PA:
-V-19 Torrent
Something we're in the middle of doing right now.

PA:
-AT-AR
Same animation stuff.

PA:
-SPHA (artillery)
Their scale and function would make them really clunky in EaW, and also the whole hailfire thing brought up by other people. The whole weird beam situation doesn't really help.

Add the Ssi-ruu. then have there droids on the ground and there ships in space.
The Ssi-Ruuvi are a faction we've always liked and wanted to do, but without the actual Ssi-Ruuvi themselves it would be pointless. We can't really have a faction like that without infantry and with nothing but some small astromech-looking droids on ground, especially when their inclusion would necessitate a new GC build entirely around them. It just wouldn't be fun. It'd be like if we did the Yevetha in BFC without any infantry and their only ground unit was a nerfed AT-ST, an you could only play as the NR, so we won't be doing the Ssi-Ruuvi in Imperial Civil War. On the other hand, the era progression code was done in a way that also takes into account a faction called SsiRuuvi.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:34:35 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 21, 2012, 08:20:23 PMReply #206

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 21, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »
Well, I've been gone a while, but I'm back with some more suggestions

1) I saw some suggestions about adding the T-16, and you are right, it would be useless for any of the factions. However, given that they were a common civilian item (I think), they could be part of the garrisons that spawn from indigenous dwellings.

2) I have also seen suggestions about adding the ARC-170. One way to add it would be to (as you said) only make it available in certain eras because it is very similar to the TIE Hunter. You could make it a heavier fighter with stronger shields, a rear gun, and torpedoes. However, this would come at the cost of maneuverability and speed. At a certain era (say, era three) a switch could be made to the TIE Hunter, which would be faster and more maneuverable but have less shielding and no torpedoes.

3) For the IR & PA, the Maw Installation. It could give you some kind of weapon or shield bonus as well as give you specialized fighters. For example, the PA could build TIE Avengers whereas the IR could create my favorite ship the Missileboat. Also an idea as to an effect the Maw could have: it could take retreating units extra time to plot a safe course through the black holes (say 5-10 seconds).
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

October 22, 2012, 12:38:08 AMReply #207

Offline bisszy4ever

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • Keep the Peace
    • View Profile
    • 501st Legion Mod DB
« Reply #207 on: October 22, 2012, 12:38:08 AM »
Im not sure if you read this but what about the original AT-ATs for PA like during the Clone Wars?

Also what about the Lormar-class Refinery Station for mining in space?

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Lormar-class_Refinery_Station

Belarus-class medium cruiser

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Belarus-class_medium_cruiser

Torpedo Sphere

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Torpedo_Sphere

« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 07:30:21 AM by bisszy4ever »
The 501st Never Run!!

A Member of the Imperial Alignment (Formerly the Postastar Alignment)

Allies of the Shadow Post Empire

October 22, 2012, 10:44:37 AMReply #208

Offline Singularity

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • Never trust a bartender with bad grammar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 22, 2012, 10:44:37 AM »

I'm not actually sure what this refers to. Link?

These things: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Reconnaissance_Troop_Transporter

Could act as a quick, but weaker version of the juggernaut

And I like the sound of fighters like the TIE Avenger being added to the PA.

October 23, 2012, 12:56:27 PMReply #209

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 23, 2012, 12:56:27 PM »
Honestly the Torpedo Sphere looks awfull it's just a sphere wich fires proton torpedos. If it's add ok but I won't use it
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

October 23, 2012, 03:16:44 PMReply #210

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 23, 2012, 03:16:44 PM »
Torpedo Sphere

See comments by Corey on superweapons to find out why this is a terrible idea.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

October 23, 2012, 04:49:02 PMReply #211

Offline bisszy4ever

• Brevet Admiral
  • Keep the Peace
    • View Profile
    • 501st Legion Mod DB
« Reply #211 on: October 23, 2012, 04:49:02 PM »
Honestly the Torpedo Sphere looks awfull it's just a sphere wich fires proton torpedos. If it's add ok but I won't use it

See comments by Corey on superweapons to find out why this is a terrible idea.

Yeah it is a bad idea.
The 501st Never Run!!

October 23, 2012, 05:29:30 PMReply #212

MawDrallin

« Reply #212 on: October 23, 2012, 05:29:30 PM »
I have a few more suggestions to add for 2.1. They are:

*Ye-4 Gunship --- As seen in Star Wars Galaxies, these are similar to the Sentinel-class Landing Craft, and piloted by elite fighter pilots. These are effective fighter killers, with several turrets mounted across the hull. They could be used by either the Pentastar Alignment, since the Ye-4 is a SFS product, or the Imperial Remnant in Era 4, as many of these ships were kept around the Kessel system.
*Crusader-class Gunship --- First seen in FOC and later appeared in LotF: Revelation, the Crusader originally served as part of Admiral Daala's fleet during her campaign against the New Republic, and following that the IR purchased several more of the cruisers. Not only would this ship be good against fighters and bomber, but also comes equipped with a point-defense system capable of taking out missiles. These could be used by the IR in Era 4 and possibly Era 5.
*Shadow Droid --- Utilized by the Dark Empire, these terrifying fighters were piloted by the disected brains of mortally wounded TIE pilots, and were powered by the Dark Side of the Force.

*Warrior-class Gunship --- Part of the New Class project, these ships could serve as a replacement to the CR90 and DP20 in Eras 4 and 5 for the New Republic. However, a redesign of the ship would have to be done, because currently a Gamorrean would be prettier than that ship.
*Proficient-class Cruiser --- A CEC Cruiser better armed than the KDY Nebulon-B, the Proficient was found across NR Battle groups before the New Class Project, thus the cruiser could be placed in Era 1, 2, or 3. But, a new model would be needed on a fresh design.

October 23, 2012, 06:11:22 PMReply #213

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 23, 2012, 06:11:22 PM »
Talking about drois why not adding for the IR the x-1 viper droid?

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

October 24, 2012, 03:17:36 AMReply #214

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2012, 03:17:36 AM »
1) I saw some suggestions about adding the T-16, and you are right, it would be useless for any of the factions. However, given that they were a common civilian item (I think), they could be part of the garrisons that spawn from indigenous dwellings.

I'm not sure if that would add much other than frustration. Even with the expanded number of units which can target them, air units can be a bit of a hassle and I'm not sure where would have them as indigenous. I could see them being put into those secondary structures which spawn units when captured, or, like we did with the units that spawn from those in the first place, add them to the Pentastar as opposed to the New Republic.

2) I have also seen suggestions about adding the ARC-170. One way to add it would be to (as you said) only make it available in certain eras because it is very similar to the TIE Hunter. You could make it a heavier fighter with stronger shields, a rear gun, and torpedoes. However, this would come at the cost of maneuverability and speed. At a certain era (say, era three) a switch could be made to the TIE Hunter, which would be faster and more maneuverable but have less shielding and no torpedoes.

Well the thing there is still trying to maintain the fact that they are still Imperial, so the more TIE presence the better, and the less that is directly representative of the Republic the better as well. If we're already doing the other Republic units that we are, I'm not sure if we want that many more of them when other units not already used by the IR fit it just as well, though I'd have to check again. We (the team) are honestly pretty conscious of the overlap as it is and don't want to go too far with it. We'll talk about it but of all the Republic content, it's probably the unit I'd be most wary of adding (Short of putting the stormtroopers in old Clone Trooper armour).

Im not sure if you read this but what about the original AT-ATs for PA like during the Clone Wars?
Honestly don't see the point. Those were limited prototypes and the PA would definitely have had the real AT-ATs anyways. Funtionally they're not too different from the AT-AT so they'd have to be a replacement instead of an addition, and on top of that they're visually less appealing so there's really nothing going for them.

Also what about the Lormar-class Refinery Station for mining in space?

Not sure what use this would be, either.

Belarus-class medium cruiser
This abortion of a ship has always confused me. For one thing, the armament is drastically worse than the ship it was supposed to be a modernized version of. For the second, it doesn't look like what it should considering what it was. That being said, I'm not eager to put in another ship which somehow manages to be simultaneously bigger and yet only moderately more powerful than a Nebulon-B, except without fighters.

Torpedo Sphere

We thought about this for Daala before, but there's a few problems with it, not the least of which is the difficulty of making it not look terrible.

These things: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Reconnaissance_Troop_Transporter
Could act as a quick, but weaker version of the juggernaut

Doesn't really fill the same role. From what I can see it's about the size of a T2-B with a bit less power, but as a transport it'd be pretty ineffective. At most it could carry a single squad.

*Crusader-class Gunship --- First seen in FOC and later appeared in LotF: Revelation, the Crusader originally served as part of Admiral Daala's fleet during her campaign against the New Republic, and following that the IR purchased several more of the cruisers. Not only would this ship be good against fighters and bomber, but also comes equipped with a point-defense system capable of taking out missiles. These could be used by the IR in Era 4 and possibly Era 5.

My understanding of this was that it was referring to events during the LotF series as opposed to the previous stuff. In any case, 2 individual Crusaders doesn't seem like a reason to replace something as iconic as the Lancer.

*Warrior-class Gunship --- Part of the New Class project, these ships could serve as a replacement to the CR90 and DP20 in Eras 4 and 5 for the New Republic. However, a redesign of the ship would have to be done, because currently a Gamorrean would be prettier than that ship.

We wanted to do this for 2.0 (and actually previous versions) for eactly the reasons you stated, but the last part has always been the issue.

*Proficient-class Cruiser --- A CEC Cruiser better armed than the KDY Nebulon-B, the Proficient was found across NR Battle groups before the New Class Project, thus the cruiser could be placed in Era 1, 2, or 3. But, a new model would be needed on a fresh design.

Like you said, it doesn't have a design which is a big issue, and has the armament of a ship about a quarter of its size so it would be a bit useless.

October 24, 2012, 05:28:58 AMReply #215

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2012, 05:28:58 AM »
The EotH in earlier eras, their ships of the line below capital class lack a lot of punch. The Kariek's damage is on the low side, then there's nothing until you get to a Chaf destoryer, which is closer to a capital ship in cost and stats. The Nuruodo frigate and Warlord Gunships help fill this gap in the later eras, but in the beginning portions of EoW and AoW, they could really use another vessel. 

Now I know that adding completely new designs for the EotH is a lot of work, but how about something Imperial in the earlier eras? Strike cruisers, for instance, would certainly help fulfill this role in early EotH fleets. While building full fledged ISDs might have been tough for Thrawn to push out there, building a frigate might have been more realistic/possible. Or for ideas for a ship, a design that combines elements of the Strike Cruiser (like how the Nssis incorporates TIE elements) would fit in well.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

October 24, 2012, 10:23:11 AMReply #216

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2012, 10:23:11 AM »
For the imperial warlords could you give them the possibility to build the light factory, it's very borgin to only face a lot of stortroopers

October 24, 2012, 03:18:19 PMReply #217

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 24, 2012, 03:18:19 PM »
The EotH in earlier eras, their ships of the line below capital class lack a lot of punch. The Kariek's damage is on the low side, then there's nothing until you get to a Chaf destoryer, which is closer to a capital ship in cost and stats. The Nuruodo frigate and Warlord Gunships help fill this gap in the later eras, but in the beginning portions of EoW and AoW, they could really use another vessel. 

Now I know that adding completely new designs for the EotH is a lot of work, but how about something Imperial in the earlier eras? Strike cruisers, for instance, would certainly help fulfill this role in early EotH fleets. While building full fledged ISDs might have been tough for Thrawn to push out there, building a frigate might have been more realistic/possible. Or for ideas for a ship, a design that combines elements of the Strike Cruiser (like how the Nssis incorporates TIE elements) would fit in well.

In short, this gets back to what I was saying about the Kariek before. We do plan on adding a new unit or two to fill that gap between Kariek and Chaf, but I don't want to do it with an Imperial ship; it'd feel tacked on. In any case the Strike Cruiser is a bit closer to the Kariek than the new ship would be.

For the imperial warlords could you give them the possibility to build the light factory, it's very borgin to only face a lot of stortroopers

They do have their own vehicle factories, however in most GCs they don't have an active AI because the number of active factions would cause the freeze way earlier, so in those GCs they can't and don't build anything.

October 24, 2012, 03:38:33 PMReply #218

Offline bisszy4ever

• Brevet Admiral
  • Keep the Peace
    • View Profile
    • 501st Legion Mod DB
« Reply #218 on: October 24, 2012, 03:38:33 PM »
Infantry smaller or AT-ATs bigger.
The 501st Never Run!!

October 24, 2012, 03:45:51 PMReply #219

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 24, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
Infantry can't be smaller because the terrain and most nature stuff is all scaled to them, and AT-ATs can't be bigger because you'd get severe pathfinding issues.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!