Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Poll

Which Goverment would you live and serve under?

Empire/IR
8 (53.3%)
Rebellion/NR/Terrorists
7 (46.7%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Rebellion/NR Vs Empire/IR which would you live under?  (Read 23565 times)

May 24, 2017, 11:05:52 PM

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
Rebellion/NR Vs Empire/IR which would you live under?
« on: May 24, 2017, 11:05:52 PM »
So I thought about maybe what would I want to live under.

The some what corrupt but powerful Empire?
Or the chaotic Corrupt NR?

My vote is Empire since as long as I do my part I would feel safe especially when Pealleon Called the shots. I also want to live out my fantasy commanding a simple ISD or Raider Corvette.

IN THE NAME OF THE EMPIRE!!!!
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 24, 2017, 11:09:59 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Rebellion/NR Vs Empire/IR which would you live under?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2017, 11:09:59 PM »
Was there any doubt what I'd choose?  Give me Kaine/Pelleaon/Thrawns/even Dalla and I can live in the Empire without any major issues.  Palp's I would definitely have my reservations, but IMO, still better to follow a Sith than Jedi IMO, even if I disagree with a lot of said Sith's beliefs.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 24, 2017, 11:23:52 PMReply #2

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2017, 11:23:52 PM »
At least the New Republic isn't xenophobic and does not support slavery. Those are flaws too big to look over when choosing sides. The Remnant may be better than the GE, but the NR is still the better option at the end of the day.

EDIT: Regarding the poll, the Rebels/NR are not terrorists. They don't use terror tactics, that's the Empire.

May 24, 2017, 11:56:10 PMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2017, 11:56:10 PM »
They sabotage and kill agents of the legal government and it's citizens to push their agenda...nearly the definition of terrorists.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 24, 2017, 11:59:26 PMReply #4

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2017, 11:59:26 PM »
EDIT: Regarding the poll, the Rebels/NR are not terrorists. They don't use terror tactics, that's the Empire.
Blowing in up a military space station
Posing as pirates attacking the world of Halmad
intentionally causing violence

And it is more brutality then fear with the empire. I mean yes the empire is using fear but so dos batman. Is batman a terrorist? NO.

But to the point the Empire is a more stable regime and not all imperial leaders agree with the tactics the empire uses like Yularen, Pealleon, Dalaa, and Thrawn
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 25, 2017, 12:20:48 AMReply #5

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2017, 12:20:48 AM »
Blowing in up a military space station
Posing as pirates attacking the world of Halmad

Both military targets. The Rebels never intentionally targeted civilians, unlike the Empire.

intentionally causing violence

Against oppressive Imperial military targets.

And it is more brutality then fear with the empire. I mean yes the empire is using fear but so dos batman. Is batman a terrorist? NO.

No, but Batman doesn't murder and enslave innocent people. Batman makes the criminals fear him, the Empire makes its citizens fear it.

But to the point the Empire is a more stable regime and not all imperial leaders agree with the tactics the empire uses like Yularen, Pealleon, Dalaa, and Thrawn

That's the problem with the Empire. Despite various leaders disagreeing with their actions, there's nothing they can do about it without having direct control of the Empire.

May 25, 2017, 03:03:27 AMReply #6

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2017, 03:03:27 AM »
Empire, of course. Basically what TLMiller said, I share his opinion. As for NR, part of the reason why the "Alliance to Restore the Republic" wanted to "restore" it, was to bring back its corrupt ways, which eventually happened. People like Borsk Fey'lya benefited much more during the rule of the NR, than he ever would in the Empire, humanocentrism aside. And just look at what the NR was comprised of. What was Han Solo doing, before becoming the hero of the Rebellion? He was delivering drugs (spice) for a druglord/mobster (Jabba). And that's just one example. Also, think about this: there were more than 2 million people aboard the first Death Star, including families of the entire crew. So hundreds of thousands of women and children. While on Yavin 4, which was an uninhabited world, there were only several thousands of rebels, all of whom were soldiers. So, if Yavin 4 was actually destroyed, as planned, there would be a lot less innocent lives lost, and also the Galactic Civil War would be over then and there. As it happened, though, the Alliance continued to destabilize the galaxy, and to challenge imperial rule. If anything, they were the aggressors in the conflict. Later, during the NR years, the NR was always fighting in wars against someone, namely because many factions didn't trust their political regime and government. With imperial rule the galaxy wouldn't crumble the way it did, the war would end earlier, a lot less people would die, including the civilians. Yes, the Rebels/NR never purposely attacked civilians, but much more people died as result of their direct actions, as opposed to the Empire, who were the custodians of peace and order in the galaxy, while most of the NR members were ex-criminals who became influential people all of a sudden, under the new regime. Much like what happened in Russia when the communists took over. I'm exaggerating a little, but it's a lot closer than you think.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 25, 2017, 04:08:09 AMReply #7

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2017, 04:08:09 AM »
If I had to choose only between the two it would be the NR. I rather not live under an Empire that subjugates people.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 25, 2017, 07:36:48 AMReply #8

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »
Both military targets. The Rebels never intentionally targeted civilians, unlike the Empire.
No, but Batman doesn't murder and enslave innocent people. Batman makes the criminals fear him, the Empire makes its citizens fear it.
Wraith Squadron Intentionally targeted Halmad's population by:
Robbing Banks
Blowing up spaceports
Attacking airfields in urban centers
Hijacking simple merchants who were selling to the Empire
stealing fighters

And you miss understood the batman thing
Batman use fear tactics against the crooks he fought
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 25, 2017, 10:08:51 AMReply #9

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2017, 10:08:51 AM »
1. get out all who say the NR were terrorists. BOTH sides didn't do well, but the rebels didn't build superweapons(how many did Palpatine and his successors make?), the didn't support slavery, they didn't BOMB THE CRAP OUT OF PLANETS BECAUSE THEY WOULDN'T OBEY EVERY SLAVE LAW IN THE BOOK, and when the wanted to restore the republic, they wanted a democracy like the Republic SHOULD have been. however, Borsk Feylya screwed it up by carring only about himself and his home.... and destroyed the NR in the process. but the Alliance wanted the democracy back, not the corruption. corruption was one thing they tried to clear OUT of the governments.

now, the empire? until Daala/Pellaeon came around, they were UNDOUBTEDLY Tyrants/Terrorists, with the exception of Kaine. they blew up planets, enslaved any non-human, and focused on spreading terror to get what they wanted.

now, as for who i would live under? i would carve my OWN democratic empire out, with some democracy(like the Senate and Courts), but with the military/administration being in my hands/that of the supreme commander, elected/appointed by the senate
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 25, 2017, 10:31:52 AMReply #10

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2017, 10:31:52 AM »
Depends for me, Imperial Remnant under Pellaeon, the Alignment under Kaine and the Empire under Thrawn I would be very content to live in, but I'd hands down turn against a maniac like the Emperor or Vader who rule through fear and intimidation for their own benefit. I never viewed the NR as terrorists and a lot of their people were worthy of honor and respect, Bel Iblis, Cal Omas, Wedge, Mon Mothma and Leia. There were good senators as well as bad ones. The corruption would sicken me but I can respect that they give more freedom to their citizens to determine their own fates.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 25, 2017, 11:32:00 AMReply #11

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2017, 11:32:00 AM »
I dislike the Rebels/NR, but I agree that we shouldn't label them as terrorists, that wasn't my point. They utilised the tactics which worked best against a superior enemy, and managed to win, which is a respectable achievement. I might not like them, but I do respect them. Simply referring to them as terrorists only is a bit immature, imo.

I just don't think they fared well as a political regime, so I would rather live under the Empire, with more stability and safety. I would probably not be saying this if I wasn't human, though, I recognize that.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 25, 2017, 03:06:43 PMReply #12

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 03:06:43 PM »
Someone spends a lot of time on the subreddit The Empire Did Nothing Wrong.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 25, 2017, 04:24:05 PMReply #13

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 04:24:05 PM »
there were more than 2 million people aboard the first Death Star, including families of the entire crew. So hundreds of thousands of women and children. While on Yavin 4, which was an uninhabited world, there were only several thousands of rebels, all of whom were soldiers. So, if Yavin 4 was actually destroyed, as planned, there would be a lot less innocent lives lost
And what about Despayre and Alderaan?  Yes the populace of Despayre were criminals, but their sentence was life imprisonment on a penal colony, not death.  And that's without going onto the many other atrocities deliberately committed by the Empire, including Caamas and Krytos.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

May 25, 2017, 04:47:33 PMReply #14

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 04:47:33 PM »
that was my point
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 25, 2017, 05:34:23 PMReply #15

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2017, 05:34:23 PM »
For all that the NR govt. was called corrupt, the word applies far more to the Imperial government.  Every Moff was incredibly rich and used their positions to benefit themselves, often at the expense and pain of their citizens.  They almost never make decisions based on anything close to the public good, but are laser-focused on maintaining or growing their own power.

Democracies will have corruption, that is a brute fact of human affairs - but dictatorships have significantly more because they lack internal, systematic checks on the power of state officials.  NR all the way for me.

May 25, 2017, 06:52:09 PMReply #16

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2017, 06:52:09 PM »
A. The Rebellion was not a state of government. The Rebellion was a movement to create a new government. Unless that Corellian Treaty or whatever lebeled themselves as government.

B. The metholody of a terrorist does not lable them terrorists. It is the intent of that metholody. They seek to inspire fear and they do so through wide media attacks on military and civilian buildings. Many politicans who drum up non-existant threats in spectular conferences and bombastic speeches are the same thing, trying to incite terror. The Rebellion sought to UNDO the terror the galaxy lived in. There's a reason the Death Star was called a Terror Weapon and the Tarkin Doctrine called for rule by fear. Seriously. The Empire were the terrorists, and the tryanists.

C. The Empire destroyed planets, the New Republic didn't. Stupidly high taxes on both sides, but I don't lose my entire planet because the guy next door complains.

D. Batman is in fact, a terrorist. He made himself so effective at fighting crime to inspire fear into criminals to destroy crime as a way of making a living in Gotham. And around the world. This is best shown in the Arkham series where the stealth "Predator" segements, the better you do, the more terrified the goons are. In Arkham Knight, the more destruction you wreak on the Arkham Knight's Militia, the more terrified they are, and it involves attacking paramilitary bases.

May 25, 2017, 07:12:56 PMReply #17

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
Terrorism is one of those words that truly doesn't have a definitive definition. However, I don't think that the general Rebellion was terrorist group, that's just playing into the supposed "in depth" look saying the Republic/Empire is the US and the Rebellion is Al-Qaeda or the Taliban. It's a nice thought but leave it in middle school English class.

May 26, 2017, 12:27:08 AMReply #18

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2017, 12:27:08 AM »
Here is a question to prove it.
If a country uses a fear tactic against terrorists does that make them terrorists?

And Another question.
Is subjugation terrorism? that what the Empire does right? they do major imperial occupation of worlds that SUPPORTED the terrorists of the confederacy!

And As Tyber Zahn said about the NR "I always wanted to own a senator" this explains their corruption and incompetence.

I rather Die in My raider corvette serving the EMPIRE then KNEELING TO THOSE NEW REPUBLIC DOGS!
LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!! !
LONG LIVE THRAWN!!
LONG LIVE PEALLEON!!!!
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 26, 2017, 01:26:42 AMReply #19

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2017, 01:26:42 AM »
To be fair the Empire's first act as a government was to kill an entire religious order responsible for solving countless disputes and defending the innocents.

Also, if we are going by the NR's tactis making them terrorists, the Empire used the same tacits on them, so yes, using terror tactics on terrorists makes the second party terrorists as well.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!