Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Randomized Z-Layer  (Read 7319 times)

June 01, 2015, 02:49:52 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Randomized Z-Layer
« on: June 01, 2015, 02:49:52 PM »
Most of what we're doing is currently not very visual, hence the lack of screenshots, but we've got some stuff going on in the background.

We (by we I mean Pox) have been working on a script to randomize the levels ships jump in on, so each instance of a ship class isn't always on the same level. This has been done previously in other mods with some story scripting that cycles between unit variants, but those tend to limit the possibilities, wouldn't work super well with era changes, and also tends to make selection a hassle. This alleviates those problems. It may have unintended side effects if larger ships end up in the middle, but we've chucked all Supers under everything else so that shouldn't be an issue, and that's what testing is for.

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 01, 2015, 03:59:47 PMReply #1

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Randomized Z-Layer
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:59:47 PM »
I confess myself very excited for this development.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 03, 2015, 04:30:40 PMReply #2

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 04:30:40 PM »
This is going to be a very cool feautre, space battles will look even better now!
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

June 03, 2015, 04:44:38 PMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 04:44:38 PM »
Yeah, this will make space battles extremely cool looking.  No longer be able to actually command things because be in cinematic mode all the time.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

June 04, 2015, 06:23:06 AMReply #4

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 06:23:06 AM »
That'll definitely affect tactics, not being able to rely on dropping frigates on top of capital ships for cover and local firepower.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Also, how does it work when selecting a ship as a reinforcement?  For instance, if I select a ship to drop in, see it's coming in on a level I don't want it to (say, the top level), deselect it without bringing it in, and select it again, will it be coming in on the same level as the first time (top level) or will it randomize again?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 06:25:53 AM by Pali »

June 04, 2015, 10:33:09 AMReply #5

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 10:33:09 AM »
That'll definitely affect tactics, not being able to rely on dropping frigates on top of capital ships for cover and local firepower.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

I may understand this wrong, but  movement class should still remain the same, even if z-layers are randomized. So stacking should still be possible. And if ships are set to randomize roughly at certain levels, cap ships may still be placed under frigates.

June 04, 2015, 12:21:04 PMReply #6

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 12:21:04 PM »
Also, how does it work when selecting a ship as a reinforcement?  For instance, if I select a ship to drop in, see it's coming in on a level I don't want it to (say, the top level), deselect it without bringing it in, and select it again, will it be coming in on the same level as the first time (top level) or will it randomize again?
I'm sure Corey or Pox will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the reinforcement shadow will show you the z-layer the ship will be on.  As I understand the reinforcement shadow will just show the default level for that ship and then it will spawn at a random level when you actually bring it in.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 04, 2015, 03:39:13 PMReply #7

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 03:39:13 PM »
I may understand this wrong, but  movement class should still remain the same, even if z-layers are randomized. So stacking should still be possible. And if ships are set to randomize roughly at certain levels, cap ships may still be placed under frigates.

Yes, but relying on it would no longer be possible.

I'm sure Corey or Pox will correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think the reinforcement shadow will show you the z-layer the ship will be on.  As I understand the reinforcement shadow will just show the default level for that ship and then it will spawn at a random level when you actually bring it in.

That could potentially cause problems, couldn't it?  Say I've got an ISD, and I want to drop in a VSD, and I put the reinforcement shadow over the ISD to drop the VSD on top of it, which the game would currently allow without trouble... and then the VSD comes in on the ISD's plane, having them occupy the same space.  How would that be resolved?

June 04, 2015, 04:14:37 PMReply #8

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2015, 04:14:37 PM »
Yes, but relying on it would no longer be possible.

That could potentially cause problems, couldn't it?  Say I've got an ISD, and I want to drop in a VSD, and I put the reinforcement shadow over the ISD to drop the VSD on top of it, which the game would currently allow without trouble... and then the VSD comes in on the ISD's plane, having them occupy the same space.  How would that be resolved?
Correct me if i'm wrong but surely as they are two different ships surely the VSD will just slide into the ISD we have this "problem" already with the eclipse where you can get smaller ships inside it.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

June 04, 2015, 05:13:04 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2015, 05:13:04 PM »
It handles the VSD being on the same plane with the ISD the exact same way ut handles an ISD being on the same plane as an ISD.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 04, 2015, 10:07:59 PMReply #10

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2015, 10:07:59 PM »
It handles the VSD being on the same plane with the ISD the exact same way ut handles an ISD being on the same plane as an ISD.

That was my guess, but my question is about the reinforcement shadow and how it relates to what plane the ship will come in on.

At current, if I have an ISD and select a VSD reinforcement, the shadow can be placed over an ISD and the VSD can jump in on top of it.  Under the randomized system, will that shadow reflect which plane the VSD is jumping into (i.e. the shadow turns red and won't let it jump in if it's coming in on the ISD's plane)?  And continuing that, if the shadow does reflect the plane it's coming into, when I deselect the VSD and reselect it, does the plane randomize again, or is the VSd fixed on that plane for the battle?

June 05, 2015, 01:23:23 AMReply #11

Offline Pox

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2015, 01:23:23 AM »
The layer is randomized after the ship jumped in.
What this system does is basically making the ship invisible while it jumps in on its regular height, then spawns an invisible dummy unit on a random z layer and then forces the ship to jump in again on the new layer, this time visible of course. So the reinforcement shadow just shows at the ships regular z layer and you have no control over on which layer it's going to jump in.

June 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AMReply #12

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2015, 03:11:33 AM »
Thanks Pox, that's what I was wondering about.  So I'm guessing that it's prevented from picking a z-layer that already has a ship in that spot then, so my hypothetical VSD reinforcement called in with the shadow over my ISD would definitely end up on a different layer than the ISD - it wouldn't fail to jump in or glitch into the ISD's location.  Correct?

June 05, 2015, 05:33:17 AMReply #13

Offline Pox

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +10/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2015, 05:33:17 AM »
Hmm...probably....?

The script doesn't prevent that. However, the z layer of the spawned dummy unit is relative to the regular z layer of your unit. So I think units should usually not end up glitching through each other, at least not more than in the base game.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!