Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Patch Status  (Read 8162 times)

April 27, 2014, 04:10:07 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Patch Status
« on: April 27, 2014, 04:10:07 PM »
We mentioned that we wanted to get a patch out relatively early in February, but there were a few things which delayed that. The first was our website going down for several weeks. More importantly, there were only a few minor issues that would have been addressed, whereas the more major changes have required some other developments. As it is, there are five main things the patch will attempt to address when it comes out.

1. Many of you may be familiar with the unit selection bug in FoC; this is an issue which, when a certain amount has happened in a GC, causes the game to stop letting you select and control your units, making the game unplayable. As this was an issue with the base game, there's nothing mods can do to fix it directly. However, Pox has been working with Fregge on a new tool to rectify this issue by editing save files, which you can download by clicking here. With respect to the patch, this opens up a few possibilities for us. One of the reasons we've had to disable the AI of different factions in several GCs was to mitigate this issue. Now that it's not an issue, we're exploring the options of re-enabling galactic AI for several minor factions.

2. In the Era-Progressive GC's, there's also an issue where if a faction is destroyed before an era change, the game will crash. We're experimenting with some things to address this issue as well. The tough part here is that there are so many possible combinations and it takes a few hours of playing to get to the point where you'd experience it, so this is something we'll be keeping track of after the patch to see if it is in fact resolved.

3. We're still experimenting with getting the New Republic into the Imperial Civil War GC as a playable faction. There are issues with making them use the proper story files in this GC for reasons we haven't been able to determine, so we're still working on that.

4. There is currently an issue with the multiplayer lobby because of an old entry in gamecontants which references a server message that Petro took down years ago. It's a simple issue to fix (replacing http://www.petroglyphgames.com/eawmotd/ with http://216.120.238.87/EAWMOTD in GameConstants.xml) however Gamespy is shutting down, so fixing this doesn't really solve anything. Several mods have started promoting the use of the tunngle Virtual LAN service as an alternative, so we're gonna jump on that as well, with details here.

5. Finally, there are a few unit visual updates and optimizations we'd like to get into the mod for this patch, especially on the side of the New Republic. These include the Assault Frigate, CR90 Corvette, and Bothan Assault Cruiser. Possibly the Nebulon-B as well. I've also been playing with the idea of adding one of the new EotH units from Ascendancy into ICW, however since it's more of a utility ship it's harder to say whether it'd even be useful in ICW.

This should be coming soon. I'll get some screenshots of the last bit up as we go.

-Corey
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 04:55:29 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

April 27, 2014, 06:03:22 PMReply #1

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
Re: Patch Status
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 06:03:22 PM »
1. Many of you may be familiar with the unit selection bug in FoC; this is an issue which, when a certain amount has happened in a GC, causes the game to stop letting you select and control your units, making the game unplayable. As this was an issue with the base game, there's nothing mods can do to fix it directly. However, Pox has been working with Fregge on a new tool to rectify this issue by editing save files, which you can download by clicking here. With respect to the patch, this opens up a few possibilities for us. One of the reasons we've had to disable the AI of different factions in several GCs was to mitigate this issue. Now that it's not an issue, we're exploring the options of re-enabling galactic AI for several minor factions.
I like the sound of being able to have the minor actually working along side the majors it's been something that a lot of people have wanted for so long, this would be a great thing when the patch comes out. Good job
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

April 27, 2014, 07:14:31 PMReply #2

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 07:14:31 PM »
Agreed, it's so much fun now to play the large GC's knowing that upon freezing, just exit the game, unfreeze, go back in and continue...ROCKS!!

My wife, not so happy with it.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

April 28, 2014, 12:51:44 AMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 12:51:44 AM »
This is glorious news indeed!
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

April 28, 2014, 11:28:40 AMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 11:28:40 AM »
We're not sure what the long term effects are. If somebody can manage to get the freeze in Art of War or Imperial Civil War (the GC) twice, and use it both times, that'd be helpful.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

April 28, 2014, 12:47:19 PMReply #5

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:47:19 PM »
We're not sure what the long term effects are. If somebody can manage to get the freeze in Art of War or Imperial Civil War (the GC) twice, and use it both times, that'd be helpful.

Ill see what i can do. If this works perhaps the old AoW with the Yevetha and Hapans will be reappearing and the Warlords will be not just canon fodder for the main AIs

April 28, 2014, 03:04:13 PMReply #6

Offline Thrawnizator

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • Very Handy Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 03:04:13 PM »
Splendid, fantastic news! I can't thank You enough that it is finally fixed. It was so frustrating to play and mod (or mod and play whichever way you like it). Still I stuck with couple mods in hope that issue will be resolved. Better late than never, it's finally here!

Unfortunately must wait day or two for download as probably whole FoC modding community attempts to download The Fix and moddb went AWOL as a result. Waited 8 years, will wait day or two more.  ;)

December 08, 2015, 01:13:49 PMReply #7

Offline Finesoul

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 01:13:49 PM »
Yes, Finally!!!

December 08, 2015, 01:14:19 PMReply #8

Offline Finesoul

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 01:14:19 PM »
 :) :) :) :) :)

December 09, 2015, 09:07:30 AMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2015, 09:07:30 AM »
Will be good to see the minor factions up and at em again

December 09, 2015, 02:57:48 PMReply #10

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2015, 02:57:48 PM »
This was a year and a half ago...

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!