Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Dev Diary #5: System Failure  (Read 4157 times)

January 08, 2014, 09:33:35 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Dev Diary #5: System Failure
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:33:35 PM »
...Dev Diary #5: System Failure...
In the previous updates, we've talked about some general playstyles for the three factions (Imperial Remnant, New Republic and the Empire of the Hand) and shown a lot of their ingame assets.
This update covers one of the more important gameplay changes we've made so far.

...Progress Report...
With the release of Imperial Civil War, I've been able to shift my focus to Ascendancy, so real life aside progress should pick up a bit more. Currently I'm working on implementing the tech tree of the Imperial Remnant (22 of their research options are in as of now), as well as some of their abilities and remaining units. During that process we'll work on preliminary balancing, after which the mod will be in an at least semi-playable state. Once we go further down that road, we'll have some more updates about the specific units, abilities and research options. We've also started an official wiki for the mod, accessible by clicking that link as well as from the forums which will most likely take the place of a manual for the mod. It's entirely empty right now, so feel free to add information to it.

...System Failure...
One of the problems with Sins is that until a ship dies, it has the same capabilities at 1% health as it does at 100%. We aim to address this. The numbers are still very much up in the air and will certainly shift around as we go along, but under our current system, there are certain points at which ships will lose some of their functionality. The first area is in damage; as it is in the mod right now, if a ship drops below 50% of its health, it will begin to do only 50% of its damage. Depending on how, if at all, this impacts performance, I'd also like to put similar downgrades at 75% and 25%. We will also ideally have impacts on ship speed and other aspects of its performance, but this will again depend on how system stress tests with it go, and how it feels to play with after more testing. Having the game run properly and be fun ultimately takes precedence over any other considerations.

...A Million Voices...
Another thing which will have degrading performance as they get damaged in the mod are planets. More specifically, planets which have been attacked by the Galaxy Gun will have their ability to continue existing severely limited. I wanted to show a video of it, but we'll probably wait until more of the GFX are done for it

When playing base Sins, one of the most annoying things to us was that the late game just descends into a series of random, essentially meaningless superweapon shots, we are mitigating that. First off, the Imperial Remnant will be the only to have this kind of interplanetary cannon. We're also making the effect much larger, and the frequency much lower to reflect that. The Galaxy Gun is capable of destroying a planet entirely, however the cooldown on that is going to be extremely high, as well as the cannons themselves being far more rare.

That's all for now, thanks for reading. As always, feel free to join the discussion on our forums if you have any suggestions or just want to talk about the mod. We've started a daily screenshot thread there, in which we (ideally) post a screenshot every day. I've lapsed for several days now, but intend to post several to make up for it.

...Follow the mod...
Forums - ModDB - Facebook - Twitter - Steam Group
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:29:32 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 08, 2014, 10:32:09 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Diary #5: System Failure
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 10:32:09 PM »
Galaxy Gun + Mon Calamari = match made in heaven.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

January 08, 2014, 11:59:47 PMReply #2

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:59:47 PM »

Yep.  I get the feeling that weapon will be a good counter to the Empire's likely weak position in late game.  Other factions will have superior units by then and the Empire needs a late game option.  I would avoid the "Capital Victory" condition in those cases.
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

January 09, 2014, 10:54:59 AMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 10:54:59 AM »

When we do the video I can probably make that happen...
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 19, 2014, 12:57:55 PMReply #4

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 12:57:55 PM »
I would avoid the "Capital Victory" condition in those cases.
The ability could be made such that it can't target capitals in Capital Victory, so that might not be an issue.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!