Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Dev Diary #4: New Republic  (Read 4388 times)

December 03, 2013, 11:45:40 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Dev Diary #4: New Republic
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:45:40 PM »
Sorry for such a long hiatus, but this semester had us all pretty busy, and before that we were focusing on the ICW beta (the full version of 2.1 should be out soon, for those who follow both mods). With the release of 2.1 and me having some time off of school, we should be able to get a lot more done.

...History...
"Does the warmaster truly wish a disquisition upon the New Republic's perverse system of government? It has to do with a bizarre concept called democracy, in which ruling power is given to whoever is most skillful at directing the herd instincts of the largest masses of their most ignorant citizens." - Nom Anor

Initially founded as the Rebel Alliance, the New Republic was formed in the aftermath of their victory at the battle of Endor. Directly inspired by the Galactic Republic, the New Republic was created to bring democracy back to the galaxy. Under the careful eye of the Chief of State and her inner council, a new Galactic Senate was created to give representation to all planets under their banner. While initially quite successful, the true establishment of the New Republic as a galactic power came after the capture of Coruscant, once the seat of democracy under the Galactic Republic, and subsequently heart of the Empire. Increasingly seen as the legitimate ruler of the galaxy, the New Republic worked within its large sphere of influence to hunt down and absorb many of the Warlords that had formed out of the Empire's fracturing. Many challenges  and 21 years later, the threat of the Yuuzhan Vong forced the leaders of the New Republic to realize that their government was not going to be able to properly handle new threats. With the support of the Imperial Remnant and Hapes Consortium, the New Republic was reorganized in the Galactic Federation of Free Alliances. Unifying almost the entire known galaxy, the Galactic Alliance was able to successfully defeat the Yuuzhan Vong and bring peace to the galaxy for a time.

...Playstyle...
"Appearances and perceptions are important to the New Republic. And properly so. The Empire rules by force and threat; we rule instead by inspiration and leadership." - Mon Mothma

As with the other factions, the technology and playstyle of the New Republic reflects their ideology. The projection of the New Republic's power relies heavily on its ability to spread its message of freedom and democracy. This means that one of the primary goals of the New Republic is to spread and fight within their sphere of cultural influence, as they gain substantial combat bonuses from fighting within their own sphere of influence, and conversely are less effectively able to engage in enemy territory. The spread of their culture also incites uprisings on enemy planets, slowing production. Because of their alliance with the Hapans, the New Republic is able to deploy small fleets of Hapan ships.

"It's just that, after every major victory, I hope the fighting is over. But it'll never be over. Even after we defeat the Imperials, there will be someone, another threat to peace." - Wedge Antilles

Although the New Republic starts off at a disadvantage with their capital ships, they quickly gain access to some of the most well-rounded (pun intended) ships in the mod, such as the Nebula, MC90 and Endurance. Despite their smaller total ship count, the individual versatility of these ships allows the New Republic to field multiple fleets without limiting their effectiveness. The option to build a single super ship, the Viscount, is available to them in the lategame. As in the Rebellion, the New Republic also relies on its ability to exercise fighter superiority.

...Unit List...
Fighters: A-Wing, B-Wing, E-Wing, K-Wing, X-Wing, Y-Wing
Light Frigates: Gallofree, Neutron Star, CR90, DP20, Sacheen, Hajen, Quasar, Nebulon-B
Heavy Frigates: MC40a, Assault Frigate, Bothan Assault Cruiser
Capitals: MC80 Liberty, MC80B, MC90, Nebula, Endurance
Titan: Viscount
Flagship Victory: Home One

Don't forget to vote for us in MotY by going to our MDB pages for Ascendancy and Imperial Civil War!

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:09:21 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 03, 2013, 11:56:46 PMReply #1

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Diary #4: New Republic
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:56:46 PM »
Very nicely done (per the usual), I am curious as to how the small Hapan fleets are going to be implemented? Since they are not in the unit list I assume some sort of research option? Also, would it be possible for local forces (or whatever would fit) to join the New Republic forces if they are attacking a planet within it's culture radius?
How do I even

December 04, 2013, 12:03:15 AMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:03:15 AM »
You're correct, it'll be tied to research. You won't be able to build them individually, however one of the later tier research options for the New Republic is an alliance with the Hapans, which gives you a decent sized fleet of Hapan reinforcements at your capital. It's useful a) when you think Hapan ships are cool which they of course are or b) when you need ships really fast and don't have quite the industrial capacity you need at that moment.

It's sort of based on the concept the TEC and Vasari have with their annoying as hell random ship spawns and Returning Armada, but instead of being perpetual it's a one-off event (although we may do multiple tiers of it) which we think removes the toxic elements of how Sins did "free" (so to speak) ships. The local support thing you're talking about would be a bit too close to what the current TEC tech is, and while it seems fun on the surface it turns into a minor annoyance for 6 hours.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 04, 2013, 12:19:01 AMReply #3

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:01 AM »
Nifty, That multiple tiers sounds like it'd be cool without being too toxic, perhaps make each tier have a small(ish) amount of ships and each tier afterward have slightly more and/or higher quality ships? Though changing ship types on the tiers might be redundant, given the grand total of 2 ship types they have.

How do I even

December 04, 2013, 01:55:02 AMReply #4

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:55:02 AM »
Quite an interesting idea. This shall make my foes all the more enjoyable to annihilate.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

December 04, 2013, 01:09:07 PMReply #5

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 01:09:07 PM »
Though changing ship types on the tiers might be redundant, given the grand total of 2 ship types they have.
I live in perpetual hope that someone like Slevered or Corey will do a mod-treatment for the Beta-class cruiser (no canon design).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 01:12:04 PM by Slornie »
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

December 04, 2013, 07:08:57 PMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 07:08:57 PM »
Keep dreaming.

Because of the lack of ships, and our desire to keep under the memory limit, the difference would just be numbers with the possible exception of maybe having Star Home at some point.

December 06, 2013, 06:47:48 PMReply #7

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 06:47:48 PM »
Another random question came to mind, assuming you're keeping the capital ship leveling up will there be room for specialization for the ships, or will it mostly be stat updates?
How do I even

December 06, 2013, 10:05:42 PMReply #8

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 10:05:42 PM »
I live in perpetual hope that someone like Slevered or Corey will do a mod-treatment for the Beta-class cruiser (no canon design).

From what little it says, why bother?  MUCH smaller than a Nova cruiser, which is itself a small cruiser, probably just a corvette.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!