Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Ability Demo  (Read 9676 times)

June 13, 2013, 05:15:11 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Ability Demo
« on: June 13, 2013, 05:15:11 PM »
One of the abilities available to the ISDI and ISDII, in all its beautiful low-res tech demo glory.

Keep in mind, this is all preliminary. I'm having some trouble making it work against capital ships, but it works on everything else so far.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:19:23 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 13, 2013, 05:21:28 PMReply #1

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Ability Demo
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:21:28 PM »
I wonder how much power you have to divert to the foward batteries to stop an ISD from ramming into you.

June 13, 2013, 05:29:00 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 05:29:00 PM »
Well ideally you would only start using this when it's about to die.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

June 13, 2013, 05:59:44 PMReply #3

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 05:59:44 PM »
Very nice, quite an imperial touch if you ask me.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

June 13, 2013, 06:19:35 PMReply #4

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 06:19:35 PM »
RAMMING SPEED.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

June 13, 2013, 06:43:35 PMReply #5

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2013, 06:43:35 PM »
Can it be done in ICW? for example the eclipse could ram those small frigates with little damage to shields and it would also make a difficult choise between destroying an enemy ship with a damaged one or save it for the next battle.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

June 13, 2013, 06:47:43 PMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 06:47:43 PM »
No, EaW abilities are essentially unmoddable.

June 13, 2013, 11:48:59 PMReply #7

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:48:59 PM »
Kamikaze!
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 14, 2013, 12:22:18 PMReply #8

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 12:22:18 PM »
How come the ISD vanished and then reappeared in the middle of the space-doughnut before kersploding?

Also, how many cases of ramming can people name in the Star Wars universe (deliberate or accidental)? :P I think I've got six (film and EU).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:25:23 PM by Slornie »
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 14, 2013, 12:39:42 PMReply #9

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 12:39:42 PM »
It didn't disappear. The icon to select the ship disappeared on contact. Yet the model still kept going I thought.

June 14, 2013, 03:46:55 PMReply #10

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 03:46:55 PM »
And couldn't it be done on the other way? What if you have the eclipse/sovereign wich were both ships that are more than capable of ramming most ships with barely suffering any damage. Couldn't it be used as a ram too?
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

June 14, 2013, 04:29:13 PMReply #11

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 04:29:13 PM »
Slornie, the model got past the point where Sins renders it and replaces it with the HUD pip, but since we don't have them in yet it disappeared. Hence the camera adjustment. If it's going fast enough, it'll just fly straight through and explode.

As for the Eclipse, that would end up being overpowered, and the way the ability is done is too finickky to look right on a larger ship doing it that way.

June 18, 2013, 11:53:57 PMReply #12

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2013, 11:53:57 PM »
Always love the innovative ideas guys! Especially in terms of not simply porting over ICW abilities. I assume this will be a balance issue, but how powerful is the ramming? For instance, does ramming an ISD into a Praetor destroy both ships?
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

June 19, 2013, 12:34:50 AMReply #13

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2013, 12:34:50 AM »
Looks cool. will the ship follow the target or just fly in a straight line and hope for the best?
How do I even

June 19, 2013, 12:54:25 AMReply #14

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2013, 12:54:25 AM »
It's something that's going to need adjusting as we go, so anything I say is more tentative than usual. We want this to be a sort of last-ditch thing for an ISD (20% health or less), so if it's at the point where the damage you get is worth more than what you'd get out of the ship, it's too strong. We don't want to turn ISDs into something you build just to ram into things (even though that's been 90% of what I've been doing has been spamming ISDs to ram into things). Still have to solve the issue where it doesn't do damage to capital ships though, which is annoying.

And it's a targetted ability. If it just happened passively that would be annoying as hell for regular movement.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2013, 02:47:44 AM by Corey »

June 19, 2013, 05:19:58 PMReply #15

Offline Zeron

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-11
  • The Galaxy Abhors The Lack Of Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 05:19:58 PM »
I'd say that it should completely wreck most unshielded things, but from what I know it wouldn't quite do as much as you'd think it would to shields. The Executor got rammed by 3 ISDs going hyperspace speeds once and didn't even budge. Then again we also saw several ISDs lost to asteroids so hmm. Although I guess that's most gradual wearing down than one direct hit. So it would probably ruin the shields, but by that point they've already deflected it enough away to minimize damage.

June 19, 2013, 05:36:12 PMReply #16

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
Should also note that the Executor is significantly higher mass and armor plating than stanadard ISDs. So any remaining shock is probably absorbed. Durasteel is still a pretty amazing metal especially when Mediator Classes can absorb nukes inside their hulls just by adding the extra plating internally

Astroids and ships of similar sizes would be wrecked pretty hard regardless of shields incase of collisions.

I'd imagine an ISD ramming something in its size range to cause fatal if not signifcant damage regardless while superships are the only things capable of absorbing the hits without too much of a problem. Then again this would be very problematic against your own capitals. When they could just ram ISDs into your high level capitals for easy kill.

Can't you make the ability if it's targetting not able to select capital ships as a target then if this is going to be an issue?

June 19, 2013, 05:39:01 PMReply #17

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 05:39:01 PM »
Well ideally I'd like to fix the no damage issue rather than just make capitals not a valid target. After all, they're the main thing you'd want to ram.

June 19, 2013, 06:21:07 PMReply #18

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 06:21:07 PM »
Just an idea: maybe make there be a warning to the player whose ship is being rammed that "An enemy ship is heading directly towards us," to alert the other team and give it a chance to react.

A couple other questions. Will the ship continue firing when this ability is activated, and can it be cancelled once it is activated?
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

June 19, 2013, 06:24:11 PMReply #19

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
You'll get the exact same notice you'd get if you were really getting rammed; a large enemy ship is barelling towards you. The ship does still fire, and it can be deactivated.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!