Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Ascendancy General Information Thread (And Ask the Makers Anything 2.0)  (Read 89417 times)

October 09, 2012, 08:27:44 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
This topic will be (hopefully) maintained as a general repository for information about Ascendancy. If you have a small question that doesn't quite warrant a full topic discussion, feel free to post it here as well.

1. What is Ascendancy?
Star Wars: Ascendancy is a total conversion for Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion with the aim of recreating the post-Endor Star Wars galaxy in a new platform. It is being created by the team behind Thrawn's Revenge: Imperial Civil War for Star Wars: Empire at War: Forces of Corruption.

2. Which factions will be represented in the mod?
Since the aim is to recreate the Star Wars galaxy after the Battle of Endor, the two main factions in the mod are the New Republic (formed out of the Rebel Alliance) and the Imperial Remnant (one of many groups formed out of the Empire after the death of the Emperor). The third playable faction is the Empire of the Hand. Although these three will be the only ones available in the first release, we do intend to expand it as we go. More information on this will be provided as we go.

3. I've heard of the Remnant and New Republic, but what's the Empire of the Hand?
The Empire of the Hand is a canonical faction set up by Grand Admiral Thrawn in the unknown regions before Endor, making its first appearance in the Hand of Thrawn duology and most recently joining Jag Fel's Imperial Remnant faction in the Fate of the Jedi series. Because of the sparsity of canon sources for ships used by this faction, many of them are designed in house. We include this faction both as a reflection of Thrawn being the main focus of our mods, and as a way to eercise our own creativity while still working within the Star Wars universe. With every other faction we stick strictly to the source material, this faction gives us opportunities to expand.

4. Will any aspects of the original game be maintained?
None of the original factions or units will be preserved, and as many art assets as possible will be remade to fit with the aesthetic of the mod and the Star Wars universe.  We also will not be maintaining the same scaling and balance conventions used by Sins; not every faction will have the same roster, not every faction will have the same roles filled, and there will not be such an emphasis on hard countering between units (where one ship does one function and you need a specific other ship to counter it).

5. When will the mod be released?
We will not release the mod until it's ready. We update pretty consistently, and have a large amount of the work done, however we do not have a set release date.

6. Can I test it?
Our testing process will be more thoroughly outlined later, but based on our experiences with ICW, it will most likely be as follows: Around a month before completion, we will put out a public call for tester applications, from which we'll take about 10-20 people. We'll then have a month or so of closed testing with that group, and finally after that month release an open beta. If you want to get involved in these steps, just keep an eye on one of our profiles somewhere (Sins forum thread, our site and forums, ModDatabase, Twitter, Youtube, Facebook; you have a lot of options) and you'll see an announcement eventually.

7. Why make this mod when Requiem and Sins of a Galactic Empire exist?
We're aware that other Star Wars mods currently exist for Sins of a Solar Empire, and we don't want to step on anyone's toes, but we also want to make our mod the way we want to make it. It doesn't make sense for us as a team to merge with another one when we already have so many of our own assets, and after years of working together on various projects, our own team dynamics. The bottom line is that this is a mod we've wanted to do for years, and have been laying the groundwork for it for much of that time, so we have our own visions for what we want to do. We'd be perfectly happy to cooperate with the other teams in some way, however part of the fun of modding for us is making the mod itself within this team, which is something we're not willing to give up. The end result is that while these mods are technically within the same universe, the focuses and methods being used will all be different, so each mod will have its own style.

8. Where can I get more information on the mod? Or see more fancy screenshots?
Just track us on any of our profiles. We can be found at:
Our site and forums: http://gutr.swrebellion.com/forums/index.php (We'll have a proper site up for Ascendancy soon)
Mod Database: http://www.moddb.com/mods/star-wars-ascendancy
Youtube:
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Thrawns-Revenge/20781119569

We also post frequent extra content between news posts on our forums for members and people who have over 50 posts on our forums to reward those contributing to the mod with their ideas and discussion, so if you're looking to find things before they're officially announced, please join the forums.

For Imperial Civil War Fans...
1. What is the relationship between Ascendancy and Imperial Civil War?
The best word to use is interdependent. Ascendancy is benefiting from a lot of the work done for Imperial Civil War, but the reverse is also true. The Mon Calamari models, for example, were done for Ascendancy but have made their way into Imperial Civil War, as will be the case with many of the model updates we do for Ascendancy.

We know there are several people disappointed about the ramp down of production on ICW and might think we're just abandoning it to work on Ascendancy. This isn't true. We reached the decision that we were happy with where Imperial Civil War is at, and aside from a few things we intend to add in 2.1, it was finished regardless of whether or not we did Ascendancy. However, with Ascendancy, it will get updated with the aforementioned models.

2. What about the Pentastar Alignment? And the Hapans?
Part of the appeal of Imperial Civil War is the interaction with all the different factions in the galaxy, in part intentionally modeled on the Total War series as well as the Sins of a Solar Empire series. Therefore, it's not something we intend to give up. However, for efficiency and organizational reasons, we're only focusing on the three main factions for the first release. We do intend to include several of the factions we did for ICW in Ascendancy at some point, and maybe a few that weren't, but they will be after the first release.

If you have other questions not answered here already, please feel free to ask them.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 10, 2012, 11:45:03 AMReply #1

Offline yutpaeksi

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +13/-3
    • View Profile
The SOASE engine is a pretty drastic departure from the EaW one, and this is both good and bad. One of the major differences is the subsystem (hardpoint) damage system in EaW. Ships in SOASE just have a shields bar and a health bar, and until the ship runs out of HP, it's at full fighting power. Is there anything that can be done, or you're planning to do, to change that in Ascendancy?

How are ion cannons being handled? There is already an ion shot ability in vanilla SOASE, but its use is quite different from canonical and ICW ion cannon fire.

I'm looking forward to Ascendancy, I'm sure the TR team will do another great job as they already have with ICW.
"That's not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja

October 11, 2012, 08:59:25 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
The SOASE engine is a pretty drastic departure from the EaW one, and this is both good and bad. One of the major differences is the subsystem (hardpoint) damage system in EaW. Ships in SOASE just have a shields bar and a health bar, and until the ship runs out of HP, it's at full fighting power. Is there anything that can be done, or you're planning to do, to change that in Ascendancy?
We can try to play with debuffs based on health, but I'm not sure if that'll yield too much.

How are ion cannons being handled? There is already an ion shot ability in vanilla SOASE, but its use is quite different from canonical and ICW ion cannon fire.
The effect from Ion Cannons we're goingfor would be more the ICW style.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

October 15, 2012, 05:20:46 AMReply #3

Offline bisszy4ever

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • Keep the Peace
    • View Profile
    • 501st Legion Mod DB
How will relations work like will the EotH have a better relation with the IR then the NR?
The 501st Never Run!!

A Member of the Imperial Alignment (Formerly the Postastar Alignment)

Allies of the Shadow Post Empire

October 15, 2012, 10:35:53 AMReply #4

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
For ion cannons, does Ascendancy plan to use them as actual ship weapons (ex. vanilla EaW's ion cannons), ability-based weapons, or both?

There is already an ion shot ability in vanilla SOASE, but its use is quite different from canonical and ICW ion cannon fire.
It's pretty easy to make a weapon that only hurts shields, like the ship-based ion cannons in EaW.

October 15, 2012, 07:24:20 PMReply #5

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
They're still part of the primary armament of many ships, so in general they're going to function like they do in EaW, however we'll probably also try to work in some system disruption.

October 17, 2012, 10:17:50 PMReply #6

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
A passive OnWeaponFired would work for that. It'll be interesting to see what you guys come up with, seeing as it's next to impossible to get a proper "apply this only if ship X has no shields" buff going; tried one in the past.

October 19, 2012, 11:22:33 AMReply #7

Offline mynameisyou

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-14
  • I'm not saying anything...Crap
    • View Profile
can you make the lasers shoot mutipul targets like in phoenix rising

October 19, 2012, 03:25:27 PMReply #8

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Are planetary weapons like hypervelocity guns going to be included?
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

October 25, 2012, 05:15:56 PMReply #9

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
Sorry for the double post, but I have couple questions.

First, will the colonizing ships be able to land marines on enemy ships to either destroy or capture them?

Second, knowing that you guys are sticking to canon armor, the Galofree will be quite less powerful than its counterparts. Maybe you could make the Bantha class transport a researchable advanced colonizer for the NR.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

October 25, 2012, 07:31:12 PMReply #10

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Are planetary weapons like hypervelocity guns going to be included?

Ideally, yes.

First, will the colonizing ships be able to land marines on enemy ships to either destroy or capture them?
We may have some ships that do that, but not the generic transports like these.

Second, knowing that you guys are sticking to canon armor, the Galofree will be quite less powerful than its counterparts. Maybe you could make the Bantha class transport a researchable advanced colonizer for the NR.

I don't think the difference would make it worth the research. Sure it's a little weaker, but part of your job is to keep it safe, which the New Republic fleet is pretty well suited to.

October 26, 2012, 09:50:03 PMReply #11

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
OK, cool.

One more question about flagships. Are you going to have several different flagships for each faction on a randomized? For example, the NR could have either Ackbar in Home One or E'tahn Abaht in his Endurance Class, the IR could either have Thrawn in the Chimaera or Pellaeon in the Right to Rule (I know this ship is a little outside the game's timeline, but the NR has BACs, so I thought it would be fair).
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

October 26, 2012, 09:53:26 PMReply #12

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
I don't think it can be randomized.

October 27, 2012, 10:52:43 PMReply #13

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
Ok, just thought it would be cool for some randomization. Another question, what will make up the planetary militia. Will that be dependent on what faction the planet was allied with in canon?
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

October 31, 2012, 12:05:46 AMReply #14

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
We're still working out how we're going to handle starting positions.

November 03, 2012, 07:47:28 AMReply #15

Offline fileosoft

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Ascendancy General Information Thread (And Ask the Makers Anything 2.0)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2012, 07:47:28 AM »

True, it is not directly possible with SOASE but it become possible if you think outside the box... let me explain how...

Normally, in the mod, you will have the entity, mesh and texture file for the flagship... the trick is to create some type of dynamic mod... let say that in your mod directory, you create a new directory called "random"... inside these new directory, you create two new one called "even" and "odd"... in the "even" directory, you place the entity, mesh and texture from the  "Ackbar's Home One" ... in the "odd" directory, you place the entity, mesh and texture from the "E'tahn Abaht's Endurance Class"... the entity, mesh and texture name need to be identical in both the "even" or "odd" directory...

Now, you create a "randomize.bat" file. These file need to be launch one single time before a new game... the ".bat" will check the time, control the parity of the second ( by example ) and copy the content of the "even" or "odd" directory in the right game directory ( gameinfo, mesh, textures )...

Well, there is a catch !!! The method work well for single player but not for multiplayer where checksum of mods activated need to be identical... so, random feature ( run the .bat file ) can only be something used for single player...

Now, it is possible to make something more complex... by example, content of directory A copied if second are 0,1,2,3 ( 40% chance ), directory B copied if second are 4 ( 10% chance ), directory C copied if second are 5,6,7 ( 30% chance ), directory d copied if second are 8,9 ( 20% chance )...

I have mod SOASE since before the original release of the game and believe me, same if other modders or the game devs say that something is impossible, it is not always true... during the beta of the original game, i have mod it so that missile and torpedo can be shoot down... since, i was able to make animated mesh, moving texture, stealth effect ( glass like ship ), break the harcoded 50k poly limit by model, render over 6.25 million poly onscreen without slowndown ( http://www.love-from-russia.be/g4_swarm-6.25_million_poly.avi , 125 golan 4, non canon model made for a other Star Wars mod, mobile star base with over 200 weapons hardpoint, with animated part, greatly inspired from canon model like force harvester/galaxy gun/medical station/trade federation droid control ship/etc )...

Point is that i am ready to help if Corey Tream hit some "brick wall"... i will try to make the impossible become possible ( not always working )... i am a modeler/texturer but i am short on free time for modeling due to real life but i am ready to share years of experience with SOASE modding if help is needed... the "thrawn's revenge" mod is my prefered mod and it will please me to see something with equal or more quality on SOASE.

November 04, 2012, 05:06:31 AMReply #16

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 05:06:31 AM »
Yeah, we've talked about some batch file related stuff in the past with ICW but considering how often I have to do tech support for people with just a basic installation process I try not to complicate it too much. Especially considering the mod is more oriented towards multiplayer, it may present too much of a barrier for most people compared to the small reward you get, especially considering there's other ways to work in other important characters if we so choose.

Point is that i am ready to help if Corey Tream hit some "brick wall"... i will try to make the impossible become possible ( not always working )... i am a modeler/texturer but i am short on free time for modeling due to real life but i am ready to share years of experience with SOASE modding if help is needed... the "thrawn's revenge" mod is my prefered mod and it will please me to see something with equal or more quality on SOASE.

Thanks, we definitely appreciate it.

November 24, 2012, 08:19:55 PMReply #17

Offline AdmiralDaala

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2012, 08:19:55 PM »
Just found this project and had to register, i just wish i could offer any help but guess that has to wait till open beta...i got lots experience in mod using in quite alot games as well as modding those mods to my delight ;D

My problem is mainly im quite new to Soase itself (bought it for Sins of a Galactic Empire which is based on a old Homeworld 2 mod i loved;) ), and havent really looked into its mod-abilities so far atm im still testing/playing the mod to its heart, already got some things id like to change but its a rather complex mod/game...but seems kinda modfriendly game to me, guess i will be spending a lot of my future time with this game^^

But after reading Coreys appreciation to fileosofts post i realized i cant offer much in the way he did besides some basic photoshop and lua skills i can offer quite a rare thing and thats time and at least 10 years experience in modding games, be sure to get lotsa feedback/bughunting from me after openbeta start -_^

December 19, 2012, 04:56:12 PMReply #18

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 04:56:12 PM »
I look forward to this!
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

January 02, 2013, 04:06:53 PMReply #19

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
What is Ascendancy doing for planets? Custom, or are you integrating another mod, such as the SW-oriented Novus Universum?

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!