Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Poll

Should we expand the Admiral's Lounge to have chats like the lounge

Yes
2 (50%)
No
2 (50%)
A Grand Admiral's Lounge with a unqiue chat for hardcore fans instead.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Author Topic: A idea involing the Admiral's Lounge  (Read 1687 times)

February 17, 2018, 09:09:23 PM

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
A idea involing the Admiral's Lounge
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:09:23 PM »
So recently i thought about the Admiral's Lounge. Its nice how it works and all. I like that the more dedicated fans get access to behind the scenes stuff.
But i have notice some problems with it:
1. People have been exploting the Lounge for the soul reason of getting access to stuff like the Beta tests. This somewhat bothers me.
2. All it serves as is a access pass to stuff behind the scenes.

I personally think it should be expanded so we can have a personnel chat for the Admirals and beyond to discuss stuff in a more hardcore fasion. For Example in this chat people like Lord Xizer, Dave, Mr.Puerto, and me who are hardcore fans can discuss things in a more hardcore manor and maybe we could make it where the admirals can have a version of the chat box that only they can access. This would give the idea of being member of the Admiral's Lounge a much more fun and interesting idea.

Alternatively we could have a Grand Admiral's Lounge with all the same stuff except the testing stuff(unless Corey wants to change how internal testing is done.)
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

February 18, 2018, 04:51:56 AMReply #1

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
Re: A idea involing the Admiral's Lounge
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 04:51:56 AM »
So recently i thought about the Admiral's Lounge. Its nice how it works and all. I like that the more dedicated fans get access to behind the scenes stuff.
But i have notice some problems with it:
1. People have been exploting the Lounge for the soul reason of getting access to stuff like the Beta tests. This somewhat bothers me.
2. All it serves as is a access pass to stuff behind the scenes.
People always try to cheat past controls like post-gates, and honestly this week hasn't even been that bad.  And on such a small and generally quiet forum (there's normally never more than a handful of discussions going on at a time) it can be hard to genuinely build up a high post count.  That's partly why the AL has such a low barrier of entry anyway (originally Admiral rank required 125 posts).  We also don't want to overly punish those infrequent posters who are equally invested in the mod (particularly now there are such diverse ways to engage, e.g. ModDB, Discord, Corey's Youtube channel).

When I joined (in the mists of time now) it took me a month to reach the current threshold for the Admiral's Lounge, and three months to reach the actual threshold.  And looking at the forum stats the forum was almost twice as busy that year as it has been in any year since (including last year and so far this).  EDIT: Even after 11+ years of the forum there are only about 60 people who would have access to the original post-rank required for the AL, let alone going higher.

I personally think it should be expanded so we can have a personnel chat for the Admirals and beyond to discuss stuff in a more hardcore fasion. For Example in this chat people like Lord Xizer, Dave, Mr.Puerto, and me who are hardcore fans can discuss things in a more hardcore manor
I don't think the post-gated MO and AL subforums are the place for this.  Just because someone hasn't posted much doesn't mean they aren't a "hardcore" fan or would be interested in reading, or contributing to, lore discussions.

and maybe we could make it where the admirals can have a version of the chat box that only they can access.
No can do.  Pretty sure the plugin only supports one global chatbox on the forum.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 06:40:48 AM by Slornie »
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

February 18, 2018, 06:36:50 AMReply #2

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 06:36:50 AM »
I don't post on this forum nearly as much as some people, and I'm pretty far from the rank of a Grand Admiral, but I hardly see how it makes me less of a fan.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

February 18, 2018, 07:15:29 AMReply #3

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 07:15:29 AM »
I don't post on this forum nearly as much as some people, and I'm pretty far from the rank of a Grand Admiral, but I hardly see how it makes me less of a fan.

It doesn't - I may hold the rank, but I don't at all think that I am a more valuable contributor to this forum than you are, and someone like kucsidave has quite literally gone from being a brand new forum personality to a vital team member just in the time period covering me being counted as an "admiral"-level or better poster - he's contributed to the mod a significantly, massively greater degree than I have in a fraction of the time that I've been a regular participant on these forums (which has been what, 5 years or so now?  Longer?).  Simple post counts have never been how the team here have judged community contributions, at least not from my perspective.  At best I give semi-regular feedback, and that's somehow enough that I was offered the position of an official beta tester, and I'm not going to even try to pretend that I've lived up to that title as well as I'd have liked to... so I can promise that simply being labeled a grand admiral, or a tester, by the forum software is NOT how one should judge the quality of their contributions to discussions here.

It may not mean much, Tierce, but as far as I'm concerned you and I are of equal rank. :)

I don't think a separate chat for admiral's lounge-rated members is needed, nor do I think it would bring much in the way of benefits.  As someone who is not on Discord, and whose primary interactions with the Thrawn's Revenge community occur here on this forum, I certainly have a bias toward supporting community activity based around this forum and its chatbox and other social amenities (private messages, levels of forum access, etc.)... but, cognizant of that bias as I am trying to be, I fail to see how a separate chat/forum would benefit the mod in any significant way.  What would it add that cannot already be supported by the current forum?

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!