Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: 2.2 Ability Preview: Capturing Ships (With FAQ)  (Read 15238 times)

November 15, 2017, 09:27:24 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
2.2 Ability Preview: Capturing Ships (With FAQ)
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »
A few days ago, I released a video showing one of the new abilities Pox has been working on for 2.2, unit boarding. We've held off on posting this in other usual news sources because I wanted to take some time to respond to some of the more common questions that go along with it, which I'll be doing after the video:

Although it was specifically mentioned in the video that the exact numbers (success chance, unit price) you were seeing were not the actual numbers and instead just to make it as easy as possible to get the video showing the basic mechanics, one of the primary concerns raised by people was about balancing. First, I want to re-iterate that the boarding units will be expensive, in both credits and pop cap, typically similar to a capital ship in both areas. This is not a unit you will be spamming and trying to do so would be an incredibly bad idea. Your success chance with boarding is almost nothing if the target ship is anywhere near full health, and your boarding shuttles are incredibly vulnerable- successfully capturing an enemy ship will require something of a concentrated effort, and after you've captured the ship, it will typically be very heavily damaged- something you will need to protect, not something you will be using to help you win that engagement. we're also considering turning off major subsystems after a successful boarding (as you'll only have a skeleton crew).

So, other FAQ:

1. What can be captured?

The typical rule of thumb will be ships between 500 meters and 2000 meters will be capture-able. There will be some exceptions, but that's essentially how it works. This includes things like Hapan Battledragons, Star Destroyers and most things in between. This does mean SSDs will not be boardable in this way.

2. Who will have this ability?

Right now, the New Republic, Duskhan League and era 2 Remnant have it, with era 5 Remnant being another possible candidate. It's undecided how far it will go beyond that.

3. Does success chance change between ships?

Success chance is currently based on proportion of total ship health, so it does take more actual damage to get larger ships down to any given success chance, but in terms of overall percent it is the same. Capturing ships is currently fairly difficult as it is, but if it ends up being too easy, this is one potential area we'll be examining.

4. Can you tell your ships not to target the ship while it's being boarded?

Currently no, however making ships invulnerable while being boarded is something we're considering.

5. What's the cooldown? Is the boarding shuttle removed after being used?

Currently we're undecided whether we're going to use a direct cooldown, a limited amount of tries for the ability per shuttle in any given battle, or both. Currently, the shuttle is not removed after successfully (or unsuccessfully) being used. While removing them for a successful boarding may sound like it makes it less powerful, in practice, they're quite fragile, quite expensive and because of the pop cap value they take up, keeping them in the battle afterwards makes more sense in keeping the attempt to capture a ship a primary focus of a battle, instead of something you just incidentally do.

6. Will fighter compliments reflect the new or the original owners?

Currently they stay with the original loadout, but this is something I'd like to change for the first patch post-2.2. It shouldn't be an especially difficult one to make, but there's certain other variables I want to change to certain fighter loadout situations, and it makes more sense to implement it all at once than doing piece by piece.

So, hopefully that gives you an idea of how the ability works. If you still have questions feel free to post them here, on the video comments, or in our official discord channels on the CGB Coalition server: https://discord.gg/t3WJugG

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

November 18, 2017, 02:09:40 PMReply #1

Offline StarBornMichaelh165

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-6
  • Long Live the United Species Republic.
    • View Profile
    • www.YouTube.com
Re: 2.2 Ability Preview: Capturing Ships (With FAQ)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 02:09:40 PM »
Now this Ability is going to be important and interesting to use when people want to make a Roleplay in the mod. But anyway two questions I now have is Will the transport be able to board Alliegnse's Sacetor's and Perator 2's abd any other ships that fit with the ability?
Greetings my people and welcome to the United Species Republic. Come and join the Republic that is not Like any Republic you never know before come join today. Oh and check out my YouTube and my Fan Fiction Profile OK Everyone.
 [img] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Pictures/my%20photos/Conqueror_superlaser.jpg [img]

November 18, 2017, 03:59:38 PMReply #2

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 03:59:38 PM »
Now this Ability is going to be important and interesting to use when people want to make a Roleplay in the mod. But anyway two questions I now have is Will the transport be able to board Alliegnse's Sacetor's and Perator 2's abd any other ships that fit with the ability?
"500 meters and 2000 meters" is the length that you'll be able to capture as it says in the description. So no you'll not be able to capture those ships.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

November 19, 2017, 01:52:11 PMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 01:52:11 PM »
Grand theft spaceship
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

November 21, 2017, 11:26:28 AMReply #4

Offline demcalves

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 11:26:28 AM »
I'm guessing from LUA scripting boarding ability, for the outcome of either a successful boarding attempt, you are using a random number generator? If so there is a lot of creativity with logic that you can take advantage of to make different outcomes. for example when the number between 0 and n is greater than n/2, boarding is successful, less than n/2 and boarding is not successful, if number = n then the ship is made neutral and anybody can capture it again, and if 0 the ships main reactor is set off and the ship is destroyed, including anything nearby!

January 18, 2018, 05:06:02 AMReply #5

Offline Taessi

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 05:06:02 AM »
 The boarding and taking the ship is awesome.

What happens if the ship you are boarding dies before you get it? 

Do you need to keep building new units for the boarding ship?  Or does it just auto replenish?

How many times can 1 boarding ship board in a battle?

Can you swarm the enemy with all boarding ships and take over the enemy completely?

Thank you, taessi

January 18, 2018, 12:06:24 PMReply #6

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 12:06:24 PM »
so does this mean the remnant can capture advance NR ships?
Also since Era 2 is the Empire in its prime how will it be handle in FTGU?
Can AI use and if so could this turn into a fleet commander problem?
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

January 18, 2018, 12:23:41 PMReply #7

Offline Ordo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 12:23:41 PM »
Do you have any test results yet for how AI uses the ability?

January 18, 2018, 02:59:51 PMReply #8

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 02:59:51 PM »

I thought Era 3 was the Empire's starting point in FTGU. Admittedly I've not played as them but I seem to recall all of the FTGU Remnant guides saying to build Sovereigns which are a Era 3 ship.

January 18, 2018, 09:13:55 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 09:13:55 PM »
What happens if the ship you are boarding dies before you get it? 

Then it's just dead.

Do you need to keep building new units for the boarding ship?  Or does it just auto replenish?

How many times can 1 boarding ship board in a battle?

Right now it's 5 attempts per battle, and the ship is not consumed afterwards.

Can you swarm the enemy with all boarding ships and take over the enemy completely?

You could try, but it wouldn't work out well for you. They're fairly fragile ships, the success isn't guaranteed, and the success chance is based on remaining health. Boarding tends to require a fair bit of effort to do it successfully.

If they're around when the Remnant ends up having boarding ships, then yes.

FTGU is era 3, but for the NR and Yevetha FTGU it won't be any different than normal.

Do you have any test results yet for how AI uses the ability?

The AI doesn't use the ability yet, and we don't know that we'll ever make it do so. It's a lot more micro-y than other abilities.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 09:17:15 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 19, 2018, 02:30:44 AMReply #10

Offline Taessi

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2018, 02:30:44 AM »
Thank you for the wick reply Corey.  It sounds like a blast!

January 25, 2018, 03:03:34 PMReply #11

Offline fireball900

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2018, 03:03:34 PM »
I can finally have my New republic use old Star Destroyers. I can even have - *gasp* - gravity well generators!

February 14, 2018, 08:40:33 AMReply #12

Offline Jagen Eripsa

• Brevet Admiral
  • Corellian Prince-Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Universe
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 08:40:33 AM »
It looks like a great feature. :)
It reminds me of the last mission of FoC's campaign ... A great moment! Having ISD with New Republic's color will be a pleasure too! ^^
Will they be entitled with the logo on the flanks like Lusankya?
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all." - Grand Admiral Thrawn

February 14, 2018, 10:03:33 AMReply #13

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 10:03:33 AM »
No, there are no model changes for captured ships, that would require a separate script to hide and unhide different meshes depending on affiliation

February 14, 2018, 11:18:54 AMReply #14

Offline Jagen Eripsa

• Brevet Admiral
  • Corellian Prince-Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Star Wars Universe
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 11:18:54 AM »
OK, understood, thanks for the answer! :)
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all." - Grand Admiral Thrawn

February 14, 2018, 03:53:44 PMReply #15

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
Yeah, it's not an impossibility in the future, but it's too much work to do in the short term.

February 14, 2018, 10:37:43 PMReply #16

Offline Schräge Musik

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2018, 10:37:43 PM »
Do captured ships count as population on the galactic map?

If so, is it possible to exceed the pop cap by capturing ships?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 10:41:47 PM by Schräge Musik »

February 14, 2018, 10:38:24 PMReply #17

Offline Schräge Musik

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2018, 10:38:24 PM »
I imagine that this could be relevant in smaller fleets sometimes.

February 14, 2018, 10:47:43 PMReply #18

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 10:47:43 PM »
Yes, that is possible

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!