Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Story_Campaign_Underworld_Tutorial.lua  (Read 2978 times)

August 23, 2017, 08:43:03 PM

Offline demcalves

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Story_Campaign_Underworld_Tutorial.lua
« on: August 23, 2017, 08:43:03 PM »
For those who did not know, FOC was suppose to have the boarding action feature. In the underworld tutorial, this feature is seen when the player hijacks the Supreme Strategists Venator. I want to make use of the lua script but it I have ran into the problem that the source code is encrypted. I have come to two solutions but no result in getting the lua written in something parse-able.

1. Installing map editor allows the source files for the scripts to be unencrypted, but the subject lua file is in a Story folder which is not present in the installation

2. Using Lua Tools from http://modtools.petrolution.net/tools/Lua , however I cannot get the luadisasm.exe to work in command prompt

my second solution is a little more difficult to work, but I would be interested if someone can get there hands on this folder

Hope this made sense

August 23, 2017, 09:51:39 PMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Story_Campaign_Underworld_Tutorial.lua
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 09:51:39 PM »
I'll see if Pox knows of one, but I'm pretty sure there's not a viable way to decrypt the FoC story LUA files.

Also, if you're planning to use it as an ability, that kind of boarding wouldn't really do any better than any of the other control changes in the game (ie the Eclipse in the last mission, or how we do Katanas in that mission)- you still need the extra step of getting it back to the galactic map.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 24, 2017, 01:08:58 PMReply #2

Offline demcalves

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:08:58 PM »
Thanks,

I also realized that if one could theoretically combine the boarding step from the katana mission to change the factions, and then combine it with the step to getting back into the galactic mode used for the single retreat mechanism and that would be the boarding ability, in a nut shell.

Another thing I've done before is use Tyber's Bribe ability to take the ship over, which also works, but it still requires the galactic step. It would also need code to restrict its use so that it only triggers on ships with destroyed engine hardpoints

From the tutorial, they made Tyber's shuttle board after the venator cruiser's engines were destroyed, so if I were able to find a away to create a return function that gets an enemy ship that has lost its engines, I can have a shuttle that would go in and board it. Once the engines are destroyed, I would have an arrow that points over the ship with a pop up saying the ship can be boarded.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:17:39 PM by demcalves »

August 24, 2017, 05:39:58 PMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 05:39:58 PM »
We already have made a boarding ability, so waiting for the retreat code to make a boarding ability isn't really super necessary :P.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 24, 2017, 06:10:53 PMReply #4

Offline demcalves

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 06:10:53 PM »
 :blank: Ah darn, just when I tried to be creative, but that's pretty awesome to hear!  ;D

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!