Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Submod announcement: GCW in TR  (Read 7102 times)

July 30, 2017, 07:30:38 PM

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Submod announcement: GCW in TR
« on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:38 PM »
This mod is a custom modification and was neither created nor is it supported by the Thrawn's Revenge team. The Thrawn's Revenge team is not responsible for any negative effects from installing these files nor can they be held responsible for fixing any issues which arise from them.

So I've been extremely interested in creating a submod for ICW for quite some time now. However I could never really decide if I wanted to make an extremely small submod like adding different ships to different factions or go big with it. So what I have decided to do is create a medium sized sub mod for ICW. Just simply called GCW. So yes it would be similar to the base game just with a TR twist.

So whats going to going to be inside this submod? Well for starters it'll only have the Empire and Rebellion (obviously [I am open to maybe a creating a third faction probably an inactive pirate faction. But that all depends how much I learn about EAW modding]). For now it'll only include one GC, most likely a 50 planet sandbox.

The tech system will probably work in a hybrid type of system. Each tech level will work in a similar matter as eras (see description down below), but instead of killing the leader of the empire to advance the time period. The empire simply has to tech up to advance. So as an Imperial player you have to make a choice, "Do I want to gain access to way better equipment, but also allow the rebellion to gain my older equipment, or stay at a low level and attempt to fight it out with the rebellion?"

I really don't have a time line for this, since I have no knowledge of modding what so ever it all depends on how I progress with that. I am hoping to at least get half way down before university starts back up.

For now here's a rough idea on how I think the tech system will work out.

Tech level one the empire will have access to ISDIs and Venators as capital ships. While the Rebels will have old CIS tech and a limited amount of MC ships. This will represent the time between 3 and 4

Tech level two will be around episode four; so, this time around the rebels begin to lose the majority of their CIS equipment and begin getting neb Bs, more access to the MC line and x wings. While the Empire gets ISDIIs, VSDIIs and they lose the Venator.

Tech level three will be after episode four. Rebels can gain access to a limited amount of Venators due to the Imps retiring them and gain other smaller craft. At this point the rebels should have access to the entire MC line that has been created to this point. The empire at this point gets TIE Defenders and SSDs starting out with the actual executor hero.

Tech level four: Episode five time period. I don’t know what came about around this time so this will be a work in progress. However, the empire can begin constructing generic executors and heroes who have them.

Tech five is basically episode six. At this point the empire as full access to its fleet an assortment of battlecruisers and access to the Bellator. The rebels can also build a limited number of imp ships to counter act this. Again, still trying to figure out what the rebels get in these eras. Though what is for certain is that the rebels will have a very big supply of bombers and fighters in order to counter act the production of SSDs, this will also go perfectly with the captured imp ships.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 09:23:42 PM by Mr.Puerto »
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

July 30, 2017, 09:15:42 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Submod announcement: GCW in TR
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 09:15:42 PM »
Good luck.

While I have no interest in learning to mod, nor the time if I wanted to, if you need something tested quickly since we're in the same timezone, I could do that for you.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 30, 2017, 09:23:19 PMReply #2

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:23:19 PM »
Yessir I will take you up on that offer. For now I have to get unit lists planned out and find tutorials.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

July 30, 2017, 09:51:07 PMReply #3

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 09:51:07 PM »
so, i have a suggestion.

look on moddb list of FoC mods, there should be a Republic Assault: the Clone Wars mod. click on it, then go to articles. there is in there an article that shows you what to do to code in additional tech levels.

now, for my suggestion. Add it on to TR. push the start date of TR back to 1 BBY, and have the war start there. if you do that, and Corey sees this, after 2.3 we may see another expansion on it for 2.4... or the 2.3 update(or a massive submod) could be redo EoTH and add the Galactic civil war
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

July 31, 2017, 03:01:44 AMReply #4

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 03:01:44 AM »
so, i have a suggestion.

look on moddb list of FoC mods, there should be a Republic Assault: the Clone Wars mod. click on it, then go to articles. there is in there an article that shows you what to do to code in additional tech levels.

now, for my suggestion. Add it on to TR. push the start date of TR back to 1 BBY, and have the war start there. if you do that, and Corey sees this, after 2.3 we may see another expansion on it for 2.4... or the 2.3 update(or a massive submod) could be redo EoTH and add the Galactic civil war
Personally I don't think the TR team is going to a Galactic civil war version.

In any case, I want to make my own version of the GCW as a giant sandbox. Tech levels one through five is perfectly fine for me. Also with what Republic Assault is doing the AI will not be able to advance in tech level after the tech level 5. I want to have ai in my sub mod to work.

Thank you for the suggestion however.

July 31, 2017, 04:55:05 PMReply #5

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »
Corey said that some ideas like convoys were considered for a potential later version. Maybe, maybe not. But if so, you could get a situation where certain features that allow a single GCW 'era' to be made, could end up in the mod for other reasons and just have to be put together in a particular way.

For example, if convoys, partisans raising units in enemy territory, and the ability to place worlds behind a barrier of neutral planets could be done (the former two in a GC- maybe bacta war?), then you'd get the ability to make an insurgency, with a late-game twist making those original planets accessible.

Say, the rebel planets are behind a neutral barrier of CSA planets (so you have the pop count that allows forces to be raised). When the rebels get enough money and raise enough forces to conquer imp planets, the empire 'annexes'  the CSA planets, and they become imperial territory, forming a bridge to rebel heartlands. You then have to defend the original rebel planets as well as your later gains. This then segues into era one (one and a half?) of ICW.

Of course, if two out of three of those features were to make it in then it would still be impossible, let alone if only one or none got in.

For your mini-mod idea, did you have any ideas as to who controls what territory at the start?

July 31, 2017, 07:07:37 PMReply #6

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:07:37 PM »
well, Yavin, Hoth, and Mon Calamari have to go to the rebels. i can't remember any other rebel territory though
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

July 31, 2017, 08:44:00 PMReply #7

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 08:44:00 PM »
For your mini-mod idea, did you have any ideas as to who controls what territory at the start?

I'm not too sure quite yet, again I still have to figure out modding and such, however the stereotypical rebel planets will be there. Maybe more of the outer rim than usual, it depends how I decide to balance it. For example do I want the rebels to have control over more planets than they usually did? Or do I want to keep it at normal level and have them start out with a larger force.

Of course the Empire is going to control all of the core and mid rim.

August 01, 2017, 04:09:05 PMReply #8

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »
Small thought:

What if the rebel's territory started out as nothing but choke-points? Quite literally a line of planets that the empire has to fight their way up. This would certainly suit the outer rim and the rebels could defend such places easily with an inferior force.

Instead of a large force, what about a force that can replenish itself much quicker than the empire can? Not sure how that would work though.

August 01, 2017, 10:09:49 PMReply #9

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2017, 10:09:49 PM »
Small thought:

What if the rebel's territory started out as nothing but choke-points? Quite literally a line of planets that the empire has to fight their way up. This would certainly suit the outer rim and the rebels could defend such places easily with an inferior force.

Instead of a large force, what about a force that can replenish itself much quicker than the empire can? Not sure how that would work though.

Well at that point the rebels would be surrounded on all fronts if I'm understanding correctly. Also considering that rebels were always ill equipped. A quick replenishing force would be opposite of the what the rebellion is. Thanks for the suggestion though

September 11, 2017, 09:13:47 PMReply #10

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »
A quick update:
Life came at me real fast so I have been lacking in the mod development. However I have been playing around with TR files and figuring them out. Once I have figured out how to build a GC I'll start with that first. I am also attempting to learn how to 3D model so I can either; put in models for ships that are not included that I would like to see, or eventually phase out TR's models with my own.

September 11, 2017, 09:26:01 PMReply #11

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2017, 09:26:01 PM »
Have you found a copy of 3dmax 6,7, or 8?  Those versions are REQUIRED for being able to export to the alamo format that FOC uses.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

September 11, 2017, 09:43:04 PMReply #12

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2017, 09:43:04 PM »
Have you found a copy of 3dmax 6,7, or 8?  Those versions are REQUIRED for being able to export to the alamo format that FOC uses.
Not yet, but I think it shouldn't be too difficult to get. However that is for wayyyyy down the line so I'm not going to worry about it at the moment

September 11, 2017, 10:01:27 PMReply #13

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2017, 10:01:27 PM »
Hehe, the most up to date version that can be used was released 12 years ago.  At this point it's been impossilbe to obtain legally for YEARS, and even going to less legal methods is getting to be hard due to age.

September 11, 2017, 10:29:11 PMReply #14

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2017, 10:29:11 PM »
Well I'll cross that bridge when I get there I suppose, if not I'll just keep TR ships

September 12, 2017, 09:38:05 AMReply #15

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 09:38:05 AM »
i wonder if Petroglyph will patch the game again too fix that problem... that would be nice

March 13, 2018, 07:45:13 PMReply #16

Offline DemonKingDan

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • We're the Spark that'll burn down the First Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 07:45:13 PM »
I would love to test this mod, it sounds really interesting. I like how you're mixing in Legends stuff like how the Rebels had the Modified Providence-Class Destroyer (Rebel One) and at least 1 Lucrehulk (used against the First Death Star before the Battle of Yavin, the battle was a major disaster by the way). I think this sub-mod would become really popular and make Thrawn's Revenge even MORE popular in the mean time! If you need testers, sign me up!
DemonKingDan, King of the Demons

April 20, 2018, 08:17:00 PMReply #17

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 08:17:00 PM »
I would love to test this mod, it sounds really interesting. I like how you're mixing in Legends stuff like how the Rebels had the Modified Providence-Class Destroyer (Rebel One) and at least 1 Lucrehulk (used against the First Death Star before the Battle of Yavin, the battle was a major disaster by the way). I think this sub-mod would become really popular and make Thrawn's Revenge even MORE popular in the mean time! If you need testers, sign me up!
Thanks! Now that TR is updated and uni is going into summer break for me, I'll probably start up work for the sub mod again. So I'll be posting a "news update" in late May, once I get my summer plans nailed down.

April 24, 2018, 08:24:07 PMReply #18

Offline DemonKingDan

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • We're the Spark that'll burn down the First Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2018, 08:24:07 PM »
Sounds good sir! I'll be waiting for it, and if you still need testers, just PM me or something! I'll be available, I'm sure! Good Luck with the mod!
DemonKingDan, King of the Demons

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!