Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: New Unit Ideas  (Read 9597 times)

July 30, 2017, 03:28:42 PM

SilverShadow32

New Unit Ideas
« on: July 30, 2017, 03:28:42 PM »
First off, I would just like to say I love this mod!  I have played this more than the actual game! 

There are a few ships I think would be an awesome add to this game. For the Pentastar Alignment, the Assassin-class Corvette (for the System Patrol Craft role), the TIE Avenger, and the Assault Gunboat.

Some ideas for ground units from Dark Empire for the Empire and Pentastar Alignment: X-1 Viper and the Shadow Droid.

Could the Liberty-class Mon Calamari Cruiser be given Heavy Turbolaser Cannons?  I noticed the ship seemed under-powered when I would take it against a Carrack Cruiser.  I know the Reef Home (Wingless Cruiser) has that armament, but that ship has more starfighter squadrons to back that ship up.

Lastly, I noticed that the T1-B hovertank has no shields active when playing them. They do have shields and in the identification of this tank, it says they have shields, but they are not active.  Will this be fixed in the next upgrade?

July 31, 2017, 05:06:48 PMReply #1

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Re: New Unit Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2017, 05:06:48 PM »
Can't comment on all of this (never managed to use the T1-B), but the team has added alot of new units and is concerned about a clogged build bar.

I'd argue for shadow droids to be unique to the eclipse and cause a reduction in enemy combat effectiveness due to fear (negative combat anti-bonus?), but to be honest, the team may not have the time for anything as complex as that.

Certainly, with fighters there are only so many types that can be put in- the avenger and assault gunboat might only duplicate an existing craft.

Not to say these aren't good suggestions, mind! Always liked the shadow droid's look.  :)

July 31, 2017, 11:40:49 PMReply #2

Offline Jesse220

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2017, 11:40:49 PM »
More Capital Ships for the New Republic.

August 01, 2017, 12:16:31 AMReply #3

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 12:16:31 AM »
More Capital Ships for the New Republic.

The NR already has the MC80 Liberty, the MC80b, the MC80 Home One (added in 2.2), the MC90, the Endurance, and the Nebula, plus they might be getting the Republic-Class Star Destroyer in 2.2. I think they're doing fine on capital ships. I'm not against more NR ships, but as it stands they've got a pretty full roster.

August 01, 2017, 02:57:14 AMReply #4

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 02:57:14 AM »

The X-1 Viper would be a nice add. The Shadow droid is cool but that's just another fighter, so I don't think it's a priority to add. We already have the TIE Droid after all.

For the NR capital ships, my wish is fulfilled with the Home One. At last a battleship for the NR, albeit a small one but early on. I am also happy we may have the Republic-Class Destroyer.

August 01, 2017, 11:06:17 AMReply #5

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 11:06:17 AM »
you will. look back at the demo rundown, and it is shown as new content for NR, but for time after the demo
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

August 01, 2017, 10:05:54 PMReply #6

Offline Jesse220

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2017, 10:05:54 PM »
I think the Chiss could use some behemoth Walkers like the empire's AT-AT

August 02, 2017, 02:21:58 PMReply #7

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 02:21:58 PM »
who knows what the new ground army of the EoTH will look like in 2.3
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

August 02, 2017, 02:45:57 PMReply #8

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 02:45:57 PM »
I think the Chiss could use some behemoth Walkers like the empire's AT-AT

I don't think so. The Chiss don't use the same design philosophy as the Empire. The Chiss aren't trying to intimidate, they're trying to keep out all sorts of threats to the galaxy. They would probably be using the "function over form" design philosophy. If the Chiss had a large walker, I think it would look more like a heavily modified AT-TE than an AT-AT.

August 02, 2017, 06:50:53 PMReply #9

SilverShadow32

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 06:50:53 PM »
I was thinking the Shadow Droid could be used as an atmospheric fighter, since the Imperial side does not have anything similar to the V-Wing or AirStraeker.

August 03, 2017, 09:30:06 PMReply #10

Offline Jesse220

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 09:30:06 PM »
I don't think so. The Chiss don't use the same design philosophy as the Empire. The Chiss aren't trying to intimidate, they're trying to keep out all sorts of threats to the galaxy. They would probably be using the "function over form" design philosophy. If the Chiss had a large walker, I think it would look more like a heavily modified AT-TE than an AT-AT.

Well it could be a different design for the Chiss. Even with strong Armour and powerful laser cannons

August 04, 2017, 07:24:17 PMReply #11

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 07:24:17 PM »
The Viper would be difficult to make and implement for the IR. In general, our approach with ground changes isn't going to be piling more units in, and instead trying to improve or flesh out what's already there. You're more likely to see units like that removed than added unless they bring something new to the table.

Shadow Droids are an eventual possibility (for space, not for land) but the Remnant already has so many fighter options it's not a particularly high priority.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 06, 2017, 01:50:11 PMReply #12

SilverShadow32

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
What about the use of the TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat in place for the clone wars era starfighters for the Pentaster Alignment? Or possibly the Assassin-class Corvette in place of the System Patrol Craft.

August 06, 2017, 02:05:34 PMReply #13

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 02:05:34 PM »
What about the use of the TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat in place for the clone wars era starfighters for the Pentaster Alignment? Or possibly the Assassin-class Corvette in place of the System Patrol Craft.

I don't know about the TIE Avenger and Assault Gunboat (though I wouldn't mind having the Avenger) but the IPV for Pentastar is most likely being replaced by the Raider-Class Corvette.

August 11, 2017, 11:30:42 AMReply #14

SilverShadow32

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 11:30:42 AM »
One last idea: Could the Corellian Corvette be given a turbo laser and the Corellian Gunship given the current role of the Corellian Corvette in the game.  The way the Corellian Gunship is now has never been that effective and it is supposed to be an anti-starfighter ship.  Giving a turbo laser to the Corvette would make it more accurate to the actual role of the ship in the Star Wars universe.

August 11, 2017, 01:10:56 PMReply #15

Offline t78

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »
"Giving a turbo laser to the Corvette would make it more accurate to the actual role of the ship in the Star Wars universe."

Hmm... Giving it a long range turbolaser weapon that slowly one-hits fighters from afar would allow it to wear down swarms without having the all-conquering capabilities of the lancer or ipv.... It could complement NR fighters rather than replace them and force the NR player to rely on high-quality fighters instead.

August 11, 2017, 04:50:24 PMReply #16

SilverShadow32

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 04:50:24 PM »
I was thinking the Corvette would be better used supporting the capital ships by engaging the medium and light ships while the capital ships focused on the heavier vessels.  The gunship could be used as an anti-fighter screen instead of the corvette, as the gunship's current configuration does little damage to fighters.

August 11, 2017, 05:00:47 PMReply #17

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 05:00:47 PM »
The Corvette is one of the best anti fighter ships in the mod. Giving it one or a couple turbolasers would make it utterly useless.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

August 11, 2017, 05:53:58 PMReply #18

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »
The Corvette is one of the best anti fighter ships in the mod.

Indeed. Second only to the IPV in terms of pure anti-fighter goodness.

August 12, 2017, 08:26:56 AMReply #19

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2017, 08:26:56 AM »
Part of why the CR90 is set up how it is is because they were very versatile, and tended to be outfit in many different ways, so we went with what would make them useful. As others have pointed out, a turbolaser version of them would be pretty much useless. There's still plenty of units which don't quite have that niche, but this is an area where we had the opportunity to counteract that, so we took it. Stuff like the DP20 (concussion missiles) is typically meant to take on smaller groups of fighters faster than the laser-based ones, which tend to take fighters out more slowly but also more consistently.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!