Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: 2.3 discussion: should the Mediator be in? and others  (Read 2320 times)

May 22, 2017, 02:36:50 PM

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
2.3 discussion: should the Mediator be in? and others
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »

so, first off, this is a suggestion/discussion for 2.3, not 2.2

now with THAT out of the way, on to the Mediator

the Mon Calamari Mediator Battlecruiser is one of the most weirdly represented off all Mon Cal ships. due to it's only size comparison is Viscount is at least twice as large as it, it has had a large variation of Designs, specs, and purposes. while others disagree, here is my opinion:

Mediator is a warship at best only 50% of the size of Viscount, but, rather than 8,500 meters long, it is Probably closer to 6,000 meters long. it's role, as i envisioned it, is a Carrier/Battleship that also serves as a Task force command vessel. rather than to slug it out with Imperial SSDs, it would be built to wipe out SDs and Battlecruisers it faced.

a reasonable armament i see would be 3 times that of the ISD I/II, plus extra anti-fighter weapons, and a hangar for 16 squadrons(more than the endurance, i know, but is is also 4 times longer, plus with even more mass. with strong armor, customary mon cal Shields, and NR ingenuity, while not designed to destroy it, it would be able to Hold off a Bellator for others to destroy it.
 potential shape design would be like this:
http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/33/32884/thumb_620x2000/Mon_Calamari_fleet_gathering.jpg
or this:
http://media.moddb.com/cache/images/mods/1/19/18461/thumb_620x2000/Mediator1.jpg
both times largest ship in photo

while this might not happen, due to 2.3 redoing EoTH ground, as well as second touch for warlords/imperials, and possible additional Hapan units, this may not happen, however, it brings me to my next point.

in the NJO compilation mod for ICW, LegostarwarsEU came up with a brilliant approach to the build bar overload problem for the NR, which could be carried over: there is a NR membership build with is required to build a group of 8 or so core units, while all planets have indigenous(local units) on them. if carried over to ICW, this would fix buildbar overload, plus allow for any units people may want to add, and give better representation for the elements of the NR
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 22, 2017, 04:02:46 PMReply #1

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
Re: 2.3 discussion: should the Mediator be in? and others
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 04:02:46 PM »
The New Republic already have three powerful capital ships in the Nebula Star Destroyer, MC90 and (supposedly, from 2.2) Republic Star Destroyer, topped by the most powerful non-deathlaser SSD in the mod (Viscount).  The mod is already top-heavy with SSDs of various type and I don't see any benefit to adding more, especially when the Mediator has nothing more than a vague approximation of length to go on (no technical description or artwork) and serves no useful role other than "moar ship plz".
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

May 22, 2017, 04:29:36 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 04:29:36 PM »
^

in the NJO compilation mod for ICW, LegostarwarsEU came up with a brilliant approach to the build bar overload problem for the NR, which could be carried over: there is a NR membership build with is required to build a group of 8 or so core units, while all planets have indigenous(local units) on them. if carried over to ICW, this would fix buildbar overload, plus allow for any units people may want to add, and give better representation for the elements of the NR

Our approach is that if we're filling more than the entire build bar at once we have too many units. We're partially addressing it through research, we usually haven't been fans of location-locking units. If you tie too much stuff to pre-req planets, you're hamstringing the AI, and requiring the presence of certain planets in every GC/their starting forces for them to have a viable roster. That's probably less of an issue in the NJO period where the NR/GFFA is consolidated, but it's especially problematic in early-ICW where they tend to be very separated. If you tied Mon Cal ships to Mon Calamari, they'd have literally no access to capital ships for most of their forces, and would pretty much just be a mass of Quasars and Nebulon-Bs until Era 3-4.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 04:32:38 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 22, 2017, 06:02:27 PMReply #3

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 06:02:27 PM »
that isn't what i was think. in addition, while they are all SSDs, i was think about spreading their roles out

in regards to the NR SSDs, i was think it would line up like this:
Lusankya/Guardian: massive bastion of Firepower, with between 12-18 squadrons. 30 pop
Viscount: lessened firepower, higher shields/armor and more hangars, with up to 24+ squadrons. 33 pop
Mediator: Star Destroyer hunter/Self sufficient patrol vessel, with 16 squadrons: 16 pop

then, because there are no NR battlecruisers, it goes to
Endurance: 7 pop, is carrier with 12+ squadrons
Nebula: 4 pop, is advanced destroyer, but has less fighters
Republic: slightly weaker Nebula

and, the Mon Cals:
Home One Type: earlier heavy capital ship, comparible(i think?) to ISD 2
MC90: better version of liberty

and the other two

by comparison, the imperial factions all have a 8-12 pop battlecruiser to tie the SDs to the SSDs
since i'm on empire, here would be their list

Executor: massive, standard SSD, 12-18 squadrons. 30 pop
Vengeance: slightly less powerful, little cheaper, comes with long-range weapons to keep the balance, and to strike from farther away. 12 squadrons. 29 pop
sovereign: Siege Dreadnought: superlaer, plus some concussion missiles, and a few turbolasers, but the rest of the armament would be defense. 36 squadrons. 32 pop
Eclipse: buffed up Sovereign, with more offensive weapons. 58 squadrons. 36 pop
Bellator: half an Executor. with 50% firepower, armor, shields, and hangars, it is a cheaper SSD

as for mediator, it would be at earliest a Era 4 warship, though more likely an era 5 warship, meant to tie down choke points and be a defense warship, though can also double as a Task force leader

for my second suggestion, i said build the NR membership structure, but that isn't necessary. the core tech, as i imagine it, would be at Era 1

X-Wing, Y-wing, A-wing, CR-90, Marauder Corvette, Nebulon B, MC80 Liberty, and another capital ship. supplemented by local Fighters, Corvettes, Frigates, Cruisers, and Capital ships. the core tech would advance as the eras went on as well, with the old stuff(Marauders, Libertys, Nebulon-Bs, and Y-wing) and would be replaced with the MC90, Nebula, Endurance, E-wing, K-wing, and others

as for indigenous units, the Mon Cal cruisers, at leat the smaller ones and Mediator would be a bit more Wide spread then Mon Cal, with mediator(if added) being Core tech. so, in the Mon Cal region, you would find more vessels as well.

i thought of adding this idea more when you mentioned that the Hapes stuff for ASC 1.2 would be added back into ICW, and this way you would be able, as the NR, to use them as well(though maybe not for playstyle/they should have all the same stuff reasons)

but, also, i wanted to here others thoughts on this as well
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 06:36:13 PM by DarthRevansRevenge »
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

June 06, 2017, 04:05:10 AMReply #4

Offline Rogue66X

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 04:05:10 AM »
Is the guardian even accessible to the new republic ? I haven't seen a video of it or any mention of it being in the game for them till now

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!