Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Awakening of the Rebellion Tips  (Read 20498 times)

May 21, 2017, 10:39:18 AM

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Awakening of the Rebellion Tips
« on: May 21, 2017, 10:39:18 AM »
So I finally decided to try out AotR, and suffice it to say I am rather lost. Obviously completing missions is an important thing, but everything else is rather confusing. For example, as the Empire over Kuat it shows the icons to build VSDs and the ISD, but they're grayed out. For that matter, as the Empire I can't seem to build anything. What exactly do I need to do to progress tech for the factions? Also I'm definitely open to suggestions on strategies.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 21, 2017, 11:25:02 AMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Awakening of the Rebellion Tips
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 11:25:02 AM »
You probably need to research the next tech level.  But research it on a heavily fortified planet, becuase if you lose the researched tech level, you lose the ability to build from that tech (STUPID).

For that amongst mutiple other reasons, I just can't play this mod.  The galactic view they shrunk everything, but instead of then condensing it so you can see more onscreen at once...noooo...we'll leave everything where it is so it's actually much LESS useful than the base game.  Overall, IMO, this is one of the FEW mods that actually manage to make the game WORSE than the base game.  There's just so many poor choices in the design that it's absolutely horrid, I actually rate this mod BELOW the Alliance mod with all the crazy Fanon designs and incorrect designs and incorrect specs.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 12:49:39 PM by tlmiller »
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 21, 2017, 02:47:29 PMReply #2

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2017, 02:47:29 PM »
while that is your opinion, Bullet and Crew are working on that problem and others

as for me, AoTR is one of the highest quality mods i've seen.

however, some tips:
completing missions is important, as is tech levels. keep these heavily fortified. Tech levels are confusing, because all that is is more blueprints, you            advance to the next tech through completing story missions
   save your starting ships and units: everything in this game is EXPENSIVE. use your heroes as much as you can.
   Empire: move all the starting Destroyers in two groups: 1 on the west side of the core, 1 on the east. defend all your territory. Fortify ALL your planets as much as possible, and have as many imperial agents as possible to deal with smugglers: you need the cash. defend Kuat, get the warship blueprints AND a capital ship shipyard: you will need it. send your economic heroes around as much as possible to help fortify. Commanders and landing platforms on planets are your best defensive friends(they give you TIE fighters), as are shields and turbolaser towers. build up more destroyers, and complete the story misssions you have. Take Allyeun and Hoth and you get Executor, build the DS2 and you advance to Tech 4, giving you new destroyers, Arc Hammer, DS2, more heroes, and more power. eliminate ALL corruption and conquer and hold each outer rim sector once you can. Target Black sun first, then the rebels

Rebels: story missions, Mon Calamari, negotiations, and fighter spam. hold Kuat, Coruscant, and corellian at any time plus other missions and you advance to tech four and become the NR. get mon mothma to mon calamari ASAP, as she will let you get FREE Mon Cal cruisers from time-to-time

can't give much help for Black Sun
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 21, 2017, 03:18:34 PMReply #3

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 03:18:34 PM »
Corey is doing a playthrough on the black sun, so you can check that out. Honestly you should try the GC without the Black Sun (as the Empire), though I think you can't progress in story after you build the DS2. It gives you a good understanding of the mod.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 21, 2017, 04:11:34 PMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »
One of the big problems with AotR, that makes it a little inaccessible is that there doesn't appear to be much documentation on what stuff actually does. It may exist in the original German version, i'm not sure, but there's not much for English. I'm less familiar with the specific tech requirements of the Rebels and Empire, but I did sorta figure out how the basic gameplay loops seem to work, which I think would apply regardless of faction.

The main thing I would suggest is go hunting for their shipyards and tech centers, since the AI doesn't seem to rebuild them once they're done. Most of your military power seems to also come from your station+heroes as well, especially as a function of power to credit value. One of the big effects of ships being expensive and taking a long time to build is that bomber swarms become a lot more powerful, especially for the Black Sun and Rebels, because they're relatively low-risk, high reward, and a lot of the strategy is having to play through hero spawn timers. Because the shipyards don't tend to get replaced, and ships are super expensive, the AI will typically rely on fleets of heroes, plus a bunch of small frigates, Carrack/Assault Frigate size and under. Playing as the Black Sun, I don't believe I fought a single non-garrison capital ship that wasn't a hero besides one or two Allegiance classes at the start, and Rebel fleets were fairly similar. Lots of maurauders and small Corellian stuff.

Ultimately, what ended up being effective for me was grouping a fleet around a defensive station, using the fleet+ the station to kill off their hero fleet, and then you'd have that hero respawn cycle to expand almost unopposed and fortify before the heroes come back. Once you have a fleet superior to their hero fleet, they can't stop you. For the Rebel AI, this is a Home One-centric fleet, for the Empire, it's the Executor, Arc Hammer, Needa and Brandei. The result can be fairly challenging, especially when unfamiliar with the systems, but overall, if you're looking to customize fleets and use them when it still matters as opposed to trying to navigate around your stations and hero spawns, it may not be for you.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 04:15:45 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 21, 2017, 04:15:31 PMReply #5

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 04:15:31 PM »
as for the documentation thing, this will get fixed for 2.7, as Bullet has been making sure that happens when he joined the team
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 21, 2017, 06:58:24 PMReply #6

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:58:24 PM »
as for the documentation thing, this will get fixed for 2.7, as Bullet has been making sure that happens when he joined the team
I hope so, that mod is so confusing. All my playthroughs as the empire and I have never once gotten any battlecruisers or any designs above ISDII
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 21, 2017, 07:32:57 PMReply #7

Offline Kad_Venku

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 07:32:57 PM »
There was indeed a lot of documentation and tutorial-like How-To-Get-Started topics on their (German) forums, but with the group dissolving when the Early Access of that stillborn game they wanted to make arrived, the forum and with it all documentation was lost, so it's not even a matter of translating, but reconstructing the developer information and user-generated content.
But as someone who's played AotR more than any other mod, first in German, later English, I've to admit that there has been a lot of information lost in translation.

May 21, 2017, 09:16:39 PMReply #8

Offline Avarice1987

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 09:16:39 PM »
As the Empire.

target first the Black Sun. First Stepos are Allyuen and Hoth, you have the Exekutor with Piett and Vader with the Devastator After this. If you have Conquer 40 Planets, Thrawn Return with the Admonitor. You must Save every Destroye, Don't Lose a Capital Ship at the Beginning  Phase.

Use Hit and Run Tactic against the Shipyards of Mon Cal. Use the Tie Scout to clear out the Position of the Yard, than reinforce near of the Structure and Destroy it. After this Retreat. You will see a good effekt if you attack the Yards all 20-30 Weeks, the Rebels can't build fast Capital ships and the AOTR AI does not Cheat Money. I Like the High Costs for the Ships in this Mod, very realistic Atmosphere.

In The Coming Version some of the Bugs you say will be fixed.

May 21, 2017, 09:22:29 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2017, 09:22:29 PM »
Capital ships and the AOTR AI does not Cheat Money.

This isn't strictly true. They don't have as high a multiplier (though they still have one- 1.5x on normal, 2.0 times on Hard), but they also have higher guaranteed cash drops and significant credit reserves. They also unfortunately seem to neglect to spend what money they do have on larger ships or re-make the larger stuff they lose, which sorta contributes to what I was saying where the biggest threats are the hero fleets, since they end up getting a ton of easily-killed frigates in the Marauder range.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 21, 2017, 11:30:30 PMReply #10

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2017, 11:30:30 PM »
AotR would be better if the hero deaths were permanent. One of the reasons why ICW would always be a superior (General Delvardus) mod to anything, for me, is that Corey and Co. actually had the balls to do that, which significantly influences gameplay. And the said lack of a wikia on AotR is disappointing, I couldn't even find it in German, which I speak a little. Without the playthroughs on youtube I would have no idea on how to play the mod at all.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 22, 2017, 12:23:38 AMReply #11

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 12:23:38 AM »
I never found it that hard to understand.  Just play it on easy as each faction, building x on a planet and letting it get attacked to learn what each thing does.  Once you've learned, quit the game and go to the next faction.  I found it quite easy to learn to play the mod doing that.  Never got past the Empire because of the previously mentioned fact that I think it's the worst mod I've ever played, but if you take 1 game to just play around with things it's not very hard to learn.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 23, 2017, 02:01:26 AMReply #12

Offline Avarice1987

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2017, 02:01:26 AM »
Its a Mod for Veterans.

In german:

Es ist ein Mod für Veteranen, welcher sich auch an den Romanen konzentriert. Zum einen wir die Schwäche der Rebellen zu beginn gut dargestellt, zum andern die macht des Imperiums. Gegen die KI gibt es nichts zu meckern.
Und ja, eines der Features damals war, dass die KI keine Schiffe mehr ercheatet. Wie ich schon sagte: Hit&Run taktik zu Beginn als Imperium. Ihr müsst den Rebellen die Werften bei Mon Calamari zerstören und dort alle 20-30 Wochen immer wieder eine Hit&Run Flotte hinschicken. ABer vor allem muss der Imperiale Spieler so schnell wie Möglich Hoth und Allyuen erobern um an dei Exekutor heranzukommen. Baut am Anfang 2 Verbände auf, ignoriert die Rebellen und schaut das ihr den Thyferra Sektor und den mandaloresektor der BS abnehmt.

Der Mod ist Fordernd und nichts für Spieler, welche von Mods mit 4000 Credits pro Sternenzerstörer verwöhnt sind. Der Mod ist wirklich auf Realismus ausgelegt, es soll also Wehtun, wenn mann einen Sternenzerstörer oder Mon Cal verliert, weil  das Geld hat man zu Beginn nicht wirklch gleich zur Hand.

July 08, 2017, 03:55:34 AMReply #13

Offline Snafu3

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 03:55:34 AM »
The space battles in AoTR aren't too bad, and I really like the effects. Although, some of the textures could use some work. The GC's are practically unplayable for me though. They're too cookie-cutter in design and really static in replayability. I mean, every map is just a variation of a circle in the center and a few planets on the outskirts. It just feels really, really lazy.

March 25, 2018, 05:49:59 AMReply #14

Offline Laimis

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2018, 05:49:59 AM »
hey how to recruit imperial officer. can find where the academy is.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!