Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Youtubers and Google VS WSJ  (Read 4005 times)

April 03, 2017, 05:01:39 PM

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
Youtubers and Google VS WSJ
« on: April 03, 2017, 05:01:39 PM »
If you been living under a rock the WSJ has been posting articles that are Slanderous and false about Youtubers and Google.
And many youtubers are "declaring war on the WSJ".  Now I'm interested to here what anyone thinks since it seems maybe(and I hope this isn't right) that maybe Donald Trump was on to something with the "Fake News" from major media outlets.
(NOTICE: be respectful of peoples opinions please. We aren't Reddit or 4chan. We are civilized men and women)

"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

April 03, 2017, 07:49:32 PMReply #1

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
Re: Youtubers and Google VS WSJ
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:49:32 PM »
news channels tend to use emotional words and only really mention the side of the story that helps their argument. It's mainly for ratings when they write articles like this and all media outlets have some form of political biased. A lot of journalists are honest people and a lot of journalists are out there to get some good ratings. Just take what they say with a grain of salt and if you're really interested go online and look for any information they forget to mention, or look more closely at the actual article they wrote and look for details that they make sound minor and you'll generally get the full story. Usually they just stretch the truth a little rather than outright lying. Its rare for them to full on slander somebody.

April 04, 2017, 02:13:49 AMReply #2

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 02:13:49 AM »
news channels tend to use emotional words and only really mention the side of the story that helps their argument. It's mainly for ratings when they write articles like this and all media outlets have some form of political biased. A lot of journalists are honest people and a lot of journalists are out there to get some good ratings. Just take what they say with a grain of salt and if you're really interested go online and look for any information they forget to mention, or look more closely at the actual article they wrote and look for details that they make sound minor and you'll generally get the full story. Usually they just stretch the truth a little rather than outright lying. Its rare for them to full on slander somebody.
I mean you kind of have to admit that what happen to pewdiepie what messed up. What they did was take Jokes and take them out of context.
And one problem is when they are called out for this they cant punish for their wrong.
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

April 04, 2017, 03:47:13 AMReply #3

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:47:13 AM »
I mean you still had a guy using the N word in a video and still had ads on it, I don't really think google or Youtube is that incompetent to design some sort of automated system to make sure those type of named videos don't get ads on them. The fallout from the WSJ article was going to happen eventually, everyone saw it coming, that's why you see a huge popularity of streamers, merchandise from the youtubers themselves and so on. That's why as a youtuber you have to diversify your profile to prepare for this exact situation, any smart big youtuber out there would tell you that. However, if you are a small youtuber you're basically screwed unless Youtube can come back from this PR nightmare which spoiler alert it probably won't. It doesn't really matter, WSJ is still a somewhat legitimate news source just because one reporter or two reporters decided to go on a scorched earth strategy with Youtube doesn't mean its the view of the WSJ. For example, the Star Wars property is completely ran by two companies (EA subcontractors and LucasArts) but its under the branch of Disney. Disney doesn't intervene and take creative control over Star Wars and EA doesn't (really) take control of its developers. Convoluted example aside its not really "Fake News" Hyperbole News probably, plus Trump as no right to speak about Fake News when he has Steve Bannon on his team.   
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

April 04, 2017, 10:20:48 AMReply #4

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
Convoluted example aside its not really "Fake News" Hyperbole News probably, plus Trump as no right to speak about Fake News when he has Steve Bannon on his team.   

I just wish people wouldn't only look at the news as their source of information, especially if they decide to use it during a debate.
But enough politics, the point is essentially that a few bad journalists go for good ratings or to further personal agendas while many of them are trustworthy.

April 04, 2017, 02:18:20 PMReply #5

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 02:18:20 PM »
I just wish people wouldn't only look at the news as their source of information, especially if they decide to use it during a debate.
But enough politics, the point is essentially that a few bad journalists go for good ratings or to further personal agendas while many of them are trustworthy.
Exactly you have find more sources than the news, and yeah good journalism is dead at this point
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

April 05, 2017, 12:08:55 PMReply #6

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
We aren't Reddit or 4chan. We are civilized men and women

Are there any women here, really, lol? Sorry, I don't actually have anything to say on the topic.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

April 05, 2017, 12:59:55 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 12:59:55 PM »
Yes, there definitely are women here.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

April 05, 2017, 01:14:34 PMReply #8

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2017, 01:14:34 PM »
Yes, there definitely are women here.

I didn't mean to be insensitive about it. Sorry if my previous post created such an impression, I just have a weird sense of humor which more often than not only appears funny to myself.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

April 05, 2017, 02:12:06 PMReply #9

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2017, 02:12:06 PM »
I didn't mean to be insensitive about it. Sorry if my previous post created such an impression, I just have a weird sense of humor which more often than not only appears funny to myself.

Wasn't taking it as being insensitive, I was just assuming that you didn't know we actually did.  Honestly, the first several years I just assumed everyone was men because while I know there ARE women who are star wars fans, I had never actually MET one, thus I just assumed everyone here was a male.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

April 05, 2017, 02:19:50 PMReply #10

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
That was exactly my thinking. But I am still relatively new here, at least when it comes to posting, so I might yet meet a female SW fan in my lifetime. I tried to convert my ex into the SW religion, but to no avail.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!