Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Mr.Puerto Reviews EAWRE!  (Read 1268 times)

January 29, 2017, 07:03:32 PM

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Mr.Puerto Reviews EAWRE!
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:03:32 PM »
(This is my opinion and does not represent the Thrawn’s Revenge team).
Hello everyone, well as the title suggests I'm going to be doing a series of mod reviews, why, I don't know just because I feel like it.  What are my Qualifications, well I've been playing mods and games for years, that's pretty much it. I’m going to be looking at the mods from a gamer's perspective, and judge these mods as if they are actual products you have to pay for, I think reviews end up being better if you judge them like that. (note I will be doing a review on Thrawn's Revenge and Ascendancy at a later date, this mod is just fresh on my mind)

So my first review will be on Star Wars Empire at War Remastered

So let's first start out with the words of the description "mod that wants to keep the original FoC experience, just with improved graphics and higher funfactor, while adding a few units to keep it interesting."
Let's take a look at graphics: The graphics are really good, way too good, basically the game absolutely cannot run the high-quality graphics, and ships. One fight and the game just shuts down, I have a high end PC and this happens to me. The mod Author has said to download this fix that allows you to bypass the 4GB limit coded in the game. However, it doesn’t work for the Steam version or the Gold edition of the game, and it will break your game! It only works on the GOG version and I rather not buy another version of the game or pirate the GOG version. Otherwise everything looks great.

New Units: This mod adds a good number of new units, replaces old units, and remasters everything I’ll give a few examples
“Overlord” (Bellator) replaces the Executor Super Star Destroyer
Legacy-Class Star Destroyer
Lucrehulk-Class Battleship.

Gameplay: Nothing too new with game play since this is supposed to be a remaster that’s to be expected. One thing I do like are the turrets and hardpoint system in this mod. Turrets track their targets and move to adjust their aim, which is a personal preference but it looks absolutely amazing and you get a Star Wars feel to it. However, instead of having the ship cluttered with hardpoints, they have turrets that are not included as hardpoints/main-weapons so even if most of the hardpoints are destroyed they still have some combat capability. I really enjoy this feature, as it allows ships to have the firepower they have in cannon while not cluttering the ship up with green out of place hardpoints.

Now finally the author/team. I was debating whether or not to include this or not but I feel like it is necessary. If a mod has a good team (or person) backing it then it’ll be a good mod, and so on and so forth. This is my opinion and does not represent the Thrawn’s Revenge team. (I put that in there since I’ll be posting these reviews on the forums). Jeroenimo from what I can tell (reading comments from him I’ve never talk to him) is a good guy at heart, but he does get a little angry sometimes when people keep asking him for technical support that he has already talked about. Which I’ll accept since it would piss anyone off doing that over and over again. I just had to highlight it.

Verdict: EAWRE is a representation of what the EAW series could’ve been if it would’ve been continued. While the Mod does have faults here and there it is not too many. I give it 8.5/10.
My next review will be Thrawn’s Revenge! Let me know what I can improve on and if you like this review.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/empire-at-war-re

“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!