Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: School kills everything  (Read 9376 times)

January 15, 2017, 07:21:26 PM

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
School kills everything
« on: January 15, 2017, 07:21:26 PM »
school kills everything
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

January 16, 2017, 12:31:52 AMReply #1

Offline Razoredge

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
  • Make the Hand Great again
    • View Profile
Re: School kills everything
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 12:31:52 AM »
Make the Hand great again

January 16, 2017, 03:07:23 AMReply #2

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 03:07:23 AM »
school kills everything
thats right
No, it isn't. You only say it because you never had to work in 12 hours a day and pay th ebills, make food (the normal stay alive stuff) next to it.
Being in school is actually a sweetass time. enjoy while it lasts
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

January 16, 2017, 08:47:06 AMReply #3

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 08:47:06 AM »
you work TWELVE HOURS A DAY!!!!?!?!??!?!??! that sucks. my dad only works 8 a day, unless he gets called to stay
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

January 16, 2017, 11:53:53 AMReply #4

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 11:53:53 AM »
you work TWELVE HOURS A DAY!!!!?!?!??!?!??! that sucks. my dad only works 8 a day, unless he gets called to stay
That is life in my country. At least if you want to pay the bills, have monay for food and some extra to spend left.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

January 16, 2017, 12:02:27 PMReply #5

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 12:02:27 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

And I would like to add in that my mother worked as safety management and worked 40 hours a week + driving to other states weekly with a minimum of 6 hour travel time.

She told me to go to college so that I don't get a job like that.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 12:04:40 PM by Helix345 »

January 16, 2017, 12:24:54 PMReply #6

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 12:24:54 PM »
If you don't mind me asking, what do you do for a living?

And I would like to add in that my mother worked as safety management and worked 40 hours a week + driving to other states weekly with a minimum of 6 hour travel time.

She told me to go to college so that I don't get a job like that.
I actually work in logistics. And it's not the sit in an office type of work.

January 16, 2017, 01:01:49 PMReply #7

Offline Razoredge

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2017, 01:01:49 PM »
No, it isn't. You only say it because you never had to work in 12 hours a day and pay th ebills, make food (the normal stay alive stuff) next to it.

i know that school is not the hartest thing in live ,but if you make exam it is hard because you must learn a lot.

January 16, 2017, 01:06:49 PMReply #8

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2017, 01:06:49 PM »
that's what i meant. work, you can work around because you know your schedule. school, in America, you have to do Classes, Extra work, and homework, BEFORE anything else.

January 16, 2017, 01:09:16 PMReply #9

Offline Razoredge

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2017, 01:09:16 PM »
that's what i meant. work, you can work around because you know your schedule. school, in America, you have to do Classes, Extra work, and homework, BEFORE anything else.

i life in germany but it is the same.

January 16, 2017, 03:34:10 PMReply #10

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2017, 03:34:10 PM »

This is absolutely true. Once school ends is when everything dies.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

January 16, 2017, 07:46:10 PMReply #11

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2017, 07:46:10 PM »
school kills everything
Also jumping on what Kucsidave said, I had a Server position (part time) and went to University full time, while also helping my sick dad around the house. I know its a "I climbed uphill both ways" type of situation but yeah enjoy your time as a Sophomore (second year), even though I had rough time dealing with personal things that year it was super easy compared to now. I don't mean this in a aggressive tone, just letting you know to enjoy the easy days.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

January 17, 2017, 12:54:48 PMReply #12

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2017, 12:54:48 PM »
alright whatever. i'll have no more time, true, but it will be with(i'm assuming) future kids and family

January 17, 2017, 06:19:42 PMReply #13

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2017, 06:19:42 PM »
I live in the US, I'm hundred percent sure school is tougher in pretty much every country. In high school its very easy to make extra time, granted that also depends on how well you absorb the material from your classes. I thought I had no time in high school as well, but looking back that was a load of BS, I was just lazy and didn't want to study. I knew people in high school who worked a part-time job and maintained a higher than 4.0 GPA. I don't know your personal situation, and your educational system, however just know high school is an easy time, but it doesn't mean you have to enjoy all of it. I dislike my high school time, due to a whole mess of issues, but I do miss the free time I had, and the easy learning material.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

January 18, 2017, 09:30:49 PMReply #14

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2017, 09:30:49 PM »
High school was arguably the easiest education I ever had (I switched from private school in elementary to public high school). That being said, there are people who genuinely struggled with it. People like me just glide through and go to college, but I had friends who worked way harder and got a lot less for it. I'm not sure if some Americans are just SIGNIFICANTLY stupider than people in other countries, but (I could be wrong here but at least comparing to japan) I also would like to mention that high school is mandatory for longer in america than in other countries. So some people may have a family business to take over and thus stop trying in high school, leading to poorer test grades, leading to dumbing down the curriculum.

January 19, 2017, 12:40:52 PMReply #15

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2017, 12:40:52 PM »
High school was arguably the easiest education I ever had (I switched from private school in elementary to public high school). That being said, there are people who genuinely struggled with it. People like me just glide through and go to college, but I had friends who worked way harder and got a lot less for it. I'm not sure if some Americans are just SIGNIFICANTLY stupider than people in other countries, but (I could be wrong here but at least comparing to japan) I also would like to mention that high school is mandatory for longer in america than in other countries. So some people may have a family business to take over and thus stop trying in high school, leading to poorer test grades, leading to dumbing down the curriculum.
Well I don't think the whole problem is American students, though it is part the problem. American Teachers are also a massive problem in most states. Also no national unity in terms of education is also a huge problem on why American students can not even compare to nations like Japan. I mean there are still schools that teach creationism in science class, not that there's anything wrong with believing in that, it just has no place in the science class room. And sadly race is a big factor as well, if you're a minority you are more likely to be put in a suffering school with no budget, or educational standards than a white child of the same age. That's due to the fact that a lot of minorities live in poor conditions, for the same reason they couldn't get a proper education, which of course doesn't lead to good jobs and so on and so forth. 

January 19, 2017, 02:14:48 PMReply #16

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2017, 02:14:48 PM »
The fact that we go to school based on location is somewhat strange.

January 19, 2017, 02:37:28 PMReply #17

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2017, 02:37:28 PM »
If you were to change that now it would basically screw up everything, plus we don't have the proper infrastructure to send students to schools on their educational level if they live extremely far away. The system works okay for the US were everything is super far apart and there's a bunch of empty space. Since Japan is around the same size as the UK and a huge population, then the system of sending students to the best schools for them works.

January 19, 2017, 05:51:37 PMReply #18

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »

Not really.  It fits in with local funding of public schools, which charitably can be viewed as leaving areas the local control to fund their own schools as they deem fit and uncharitably can be viewed as rich white people not wanting to pay to educate poor brown people.  The idea is that your kids go to the schools your taxes are paying for, so you have an incentive to maintain them.  The problem is that plenty of districts are largely made up of low-income households, resulting in gross inequalities in available funding so that some US schools are state of the art with computers for every student and some schools can't properly heat themselves in the winter.

January 19, 2017, 06:45:19 PMReply #19

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2017, 06:45:19 PM »
Essentially, since public schools are funded by income tax, the surrounding populace's houses directly correlates to the school's funding. If we made a system where you paid income tax, picked the school you wanted to go to, and then paid (or received a reimbursement) of the difference in your income tax and the school area's income tax (and also paid for bus fairs), then this would arguably make schools far more competitive when it comes to attracting students to their area, possibly increasing the value of American education.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!