Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Need Advise, (Got Fired)  (Read 2952 times)

December 23, 2016, 06:27:34 PM

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Need Advise, (Got Fired)
« on: December 23, 2016, 06:27:34 PM »
Hello all, well I just got fired from my job today (A server, I've been working there for a year) and now I'm wondering what is the next step. What should I do to keep moving forward? If you were wondering I got fired because full time employees need more hours. I'm currently a College Freshman, so I don't know much about anything so any advise will be helpful.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

December 23, 2016, 06:42:27 PMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Need Advise, (Got Fired)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »
well, the oversimplified version:
Choice A: Find a new job and keep on doing what you did so far.
Choice B: Don't get a job and focus all efforts to studying, reaching better marks than you would working since you have more time to study.
If you need money to pay for school you can get a loan, though it is not recommended. Why start your life with a debt.
Try to speak with your family. I am sure they can think something out.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

December 23, 2016, 07:51:47 PMReply #2

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:51:47 PM »
well, the oversimplified version:
Choice A: Find a new job and keep on doing what you did so far.
Choice B: Don't get a job and focus all efforts to studying, reaching better marks than you would working since you have more time to study.
If you need money to pay for school you can get a loan, though it is not recommended. Why start your life with a debt.
Try to speak with your family. I am sure they can think something out.
First of all thanks for the advise!
I think I am going to attempt to do Choice B, then later when I personally need money find a job at the local college or join a military program and attempt to get a siphon. And I have talked to my family and they really want me to find a job. Right now I just want to get opinions from everyone if that makes sense. People that are older (like my family) and people that are somewhat similar minded and toward my age group (which is here)
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

December 24, 2016, 04:52:51 AMReply #3

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 04:52:51 AM »
choice B got many more advantages than A, the only disadvantage being the loss of money.
You can tell your family and try to convince them that way, that if you have no job, you can from one side, have more time to learn and don't have to study to big exams while at work which the employers never really like and have more time to sleep and relax.
Believe it or not, if you are tired your mind works up to 17% worse than when you are well rested and had some r&r.
Also for college a huge advise:
Do NOT try to learn like you did in High School. you will have much much more to learn and much harder stuff to learn. if you want to learn all in one sitting you're going to burn your brain out and forget half of it before you'd need it. First of all, pay much more attention during class and make more notes.
The brain remembers about 30% of what you hear and deemed important, 50% of what you write down and deem important and up to 60-70% of what you actually read.
Also try to make your notes aesthetically pleasing. if it is well organized and good to look at, your brain might store more info. best thing you can do is that after you took notes during class rewrite them onto your computer and print it so you can get it everywhere. that it actually the best way to do it, but it is barely doable next to a job. and while you rewriting it onto your computer, you're reading it over again so you will remember it even more.
I think if you present these facts to your parents they will be much more likely to lean towards that B choice.
it is much more effective in a student's standpoint and this way you will be able to get a better job later.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

December 24, 2016, 12:45:52 PMReply #4

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 12:45:52 PM »
choice B got many more advantages than A, the only disadvantage being the loss of money.
You can tell your family and try to convince them that way, that if you have no job, you can from one side, have more time to learn and don't have to study to big exams while at work which the employers never really like and have more time to sleep and relax.
Believe it or not, if you are tired your mind works up to 17% worse than when you are well rested and had some r&r.
Do NOT try to learn like you did in High School. you will have much much more to learn and much harder stuff to learn. if you want to learn all in one sitting you're going to burn your brain out and forget half of it before you'd need it. First of all, pay much more attention during class and make more notes.
The brain remembers about 30% of what you hear and deemed important, 50% of what you write down and deem important and up to 60-70% of what you actually read.
Also try to make your notes aesthetically pleasing. if it is well organized and good to look at, your brain might store more info. best thing you can do is that after you took notes during class rewrite them onto your computer and print it so you can get it everywhere. that it actually the best way to do it, but it is barely doable next to a job. and while you rewriting it onto your computer, you're reading it over again so you will remember it even more.
I think if you present these facts to your parents they will be much more likely to lean towards that B choice.
it is much more effective in a student's standpoint and this way you will be able to get a better job later.

This is all excellent advice. In addition, does your college have any student worker positions? For example, I started working as a tutor at the college's tutoring center, and now actually opened up a real position there once I graduate, as well as private tutoring contracts. College sites that use student workers are usually very flexible when it comes to days and hours (as they understand the primary focus of a student is learning), and while the starting pay may not be great, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

December 24, 2016, 10:26:19 PMReply #5

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 10:26:19 PM »
Wow this is really good advise. Luckily my parents really want me to have a job however they're not unreasonable, plus I have set money on the side just for this situation. I would really love for more time to study and such. Also the advise on the notes, I will start doing this more often, I really think I struggled in my Russian class because I was still stuck on the high school mindset and couldn't organize my notes.
Anyway thank you for the great advise!

December 24, 2016, 10:29:34 PMReply #6

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 10:29:34 PM »
This is all excellent advice. In addition, does your college have any student worker positions? For example, I started working as a tutor at the college's tutoring center, and now actually opened up a real position there once I graduate, as well as private tutoring contracts. College sites that use student workers are usually very flexible when it comes to days and hours (as they understand the primary focus of a student is learning), and while the starting pay may not be great, it's better than a sharp stick in the eye.
My college has a huge amount of student worker positions, however there was a min wage increase in my state so I don't know if they will be hiring during that time. I might be able to tutor for high school but College? I don't think i'm that smart. Thanks for the advise though!

December 27, 2016, 11:19:08 AMReply #7

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 11:19:08 AM »
Depending on the country you work in the military may pay off your debt or give you free college. I have a friend who worked as IT in the U.S army and he gets into college with all things payed for.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!