Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The 2.2 Manifesto  (Read 16862 times)

August 02, 2016, 02:41:13 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
The 2.2 Manifesto
« on: August 02, 2016, 02:41:13 AM »
Information has been a little bit sparse on 2.2 and what it actually consists of, and I apologize for that. This is because we typically wait until features are 100% complete before announcing or discussing them too much, which in this case has been a little problematic. There are plenty of things which are progressing well, but which aren't quite finished. Most of them will also probably finish all at once, so instead of waiting to discuss different changes, here's a giant overview of most of what we've got on our plates for Imperial Civil War at the moment, finished or not, in no particular order. I won't cover the three new playable Warlord factions here, since they're getting their own posts.

Regime Change - Finished

Instead of having to go on annoying suicide runs, we've given Imperial players a new way to get through the era. You can see it in action and the reasons for doing so in this video.

Particle Changes - Finished

Projectiles can sometimes be a bit overwhelming on screen, especially from larger ships. This is no longer a problem; lasers are considerably smaller and travel faster, meaning less clutter on screen. Depending on resource, we'd also ideally like to move towards getting some death clones and damage particles back ingame.

Era Progression vs Tech Progression - In Progress

One of the most common (and frankly, annoying) misconceptions about the mod is that era progression and technological progression necessarily mean the same thing, resulting in people saying "why should I have to kill my heroes to get better tech" when the only faction which gives up their heroes to progress chronologically is also the faction which tends to get hurt the most by doing so, the Remnant. There will be an even further divide between technological progression and era progression in the mod in 2.2. Instead of automatically getting ships when you progress eras, eras will be one factor among several. For example, upon reaching Era 3, the New Republic will have to complete tech upgrades to start constructing its new class ships, including the Sacheen, Nebula and, making its potentially-regrettable return, the Republic-class Star Destroyer. Research like this will be constrained to the Empire of the Hand, New Republic and Imperial Remnant for hardcoded reasons. This also gives the Remnant a greater incentive to stay within certain eras where it has invested money in upgrading its arsenal, and losing your leader now becomes an even greater setback.

For other factions, being the Pentastar Alignment, Greater Maldrood, Warlord Zsinj, and Eriadu Authority, there will be other prerequisites in place to give a feeling of progression even within single-era GCs. There will be some heroes available for recruitment only on certain planets, for example bounty hunters like Dengar and Bossk for most Imperial groups, or Rei'kas and Krassis Trelix for the Pentastar Alignment (more on that later). We've yet to say much about Maldrood, but a significant portion of their roster will be based on their pirate connections, including some unique units which will be both familiar and potentially unwelcome to some players.

Diplomatic Influence - Finished

Smallpox has mostly finished the Diplomatic influence system for GC. Here is basically how it works, in his words. Keep in mind there may be significant differences for this as it goes through testing.

The galaxy map is divided into sectors. Each planet gets assigned a value that represents your current influence on that planet. -If you lose a planet in a sector you lose influence on all other planets owned by you in the same sector. If you conquer a planet you gain influence on all other planets owned by you in that sector. You gain a little influence every day on each planet you own. If your influence on a planet drops to 0 you lose that planet (affiliation changes to neutral if no enemy diplomat or fleet is present). Every faction gets a diplomat unit with a build limit of one at a time. Diplomats have galactic stealth. If a diplomat is in orbit of a planet owned by another faction, the faction's influence on that planet will decrease every day. If the influence hits 0 while a diplomat is present the affiliation of that planet will change to the faction the diplomat belongs to. The diplomat also gets removed. Diplomats are also removed when the planet affiliation changes due to another faction conquering the planet.

Ground Combat Changes - In Progress

There are a few different things we're playing with for ground. First off, we're removing some of our worse maps and sprinkling in vanilla ones where they fit again. This also means we've slowed down the unit movements back to their original speeds. Ground buildings are going to have defensive turret hardpoints built into them in order to add another layer to ground battles. I'm still playing with the turret types to make sure terrain affects them as little as possible, but for the most part the system is complete and in place. We're also playing with expanding hardpoint use on the ground, giving a bit more depth to your tactical choices and hopefully making one of EaW's better features more prominent. Infantry will all be gvien back the crouch-move ability as well. This is a good portion of what were doing, but not everything.

New and Redone Units- In Progress

This is a bit more difficult to talk about without just turning it into a list, so that's basically what I'll do. As usual, there'll be a few older units getting redone or updated in some way. There will also be plenty of new hardware in space and also on ground to get your hands on. There's probably two dozen units not present in 21, including the Bellator, Secutor, Gladiator and Allegiance to name only some of the triangular ones. There's also the ULAV and AT-TE on the ground. The Empire of the Hand will also get considerable attention in this respect, with three new capital ships and four new defense platforms.

This isn't quite everything in the mod, but hopefully it gives you an idea of our major goals with the mod for this version. More information, and more specific information, will come as we go. For those of you who would like to, I would also appreciate it if you gave this thread on one of my personal projects (which will hopefully help to allow me to focus more on things like modding) a read.

Follow Imperial Civil War

Forums - Facebook - Steam Group - Mod DB

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 02:49:00 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 02, 2016, 09:21:24 AMReply #1

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: The 2.2 Manifesto
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:21:24 AM »
Exciting stuff
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

August 02, 2016, 10:24:00 AMReply #2

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 10:24:00 AM »
Extremely exciting stuff

August 02, 2016, 03:14:14 PMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2016, 03:14:14 PM »
Yeah, this definitely sounds like it's going to be a totally new experience with all the changes and additions.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

August 02, 2016, 03:23:24 PMReply #4

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 03:23:24 PM »
Sounds amazing to say the very least.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

August 04, 2016, 10:30:18 AMReply #5

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 10:30:18 AM »
Is the republic class really powerful or something?

August 04, 2016, 11:43:00 AMReply #6

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:43:00 AM »
No, just kinda ugly.  It's actually slightly less powrful than the Nebula, being about midway in power between an ISD-I and ISD-II, despite being smaller (~Venator sized).  It basically looks like a Mon-Cal Star Destroyer.  Although nowhere near as ugly as the Majestic Cruiser.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

August 04, 2016, 11:44:58 AMReply #7

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 11:44:58 AM »
So is it a space turd like a mon cal, or something else?

August 04, 2016, 12:41:03 PMReply #8

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 12:41:03 PM »
No, it's got the general shape of a star destroyer, but all bulbous and rounded like mon cal ships.

August 04, 2016, 12:42:52 PMReply #9

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 12:42:52 PM »
So is it a space turd like a mon cal, or something else?

It's this: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Republic-class_Star_Destroyer

As you can see (from Wookieepedia or the image tlMiller posted) the source material is rather unflattering.

In terms of weaponry and power it's not that much different from the Nebula; pretty much a case of "six of one, half a dozen of the other":

WeaponNebulaRepublic
Turbolaser40N/A
Heavy TurbolaserN/A40
Heavy Dual Turbolaser4040
Ion Cannon2020
Concussion Missile Launcher20N/A
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

August 04, 2016, 03:17:53 PMReply #10

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2016, 03:17:53 PM »
No, just kinda ugly.  It's actually slightly less powrful than the Nebula, being about midway in power between an ISD-I and ISD-II, despite being smaller (~Venator sized).  It basically looks like a Mon-Cal Star Destroyer.  Although nowhere near as ugly as the Majestic Cruiser.

Funny. I always liked the Majestic design better myself. The team has done a good job I feel of making it look good.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

August 04, 2016, 04:05:56 PMReply #11

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2016, 04:05:56 PM »
Sounds like a solid addition to the republic sum's fleet

August 04, 2016, 08:01:53 PMReply #12

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2016, 08:01:53 PM »
Funny. I always liked the Majestic design better myself. The team has done a good job I feel of making it look good.

Even with those hideous rebel rousers at the helms?

August 04, 2016, 08:43:41 PMReply #13

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2016, 08:43:41 PM »
Even with those hideous rebel rousers at the helms?

All the more to entench them with
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

August 05, 2016, 08:05:38 PMReply #14

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2016, 08:05:38 PM »
All the more to entench them with

Clever girl...

August 08, 2016, 09:36:35 PMReply #15

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2016, 09:36:35 PM »
I'm a bit confused about the new era/tech advancement.

So the way I understand it is that when you progress eras, your unit roster gets stripped to something barebones while you have to individually research (produce) the new ship designs one by one? I don't really understand how this disproportionately hurts the Remnant if everyone (hardcoded) has to spend time producing new designs.

August 08, 2016, 11:33:56 PMReply #16

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2016, 11:33:56 PM »
It doesn't get stripped down. We're not taking away things you already have from previous eras unless those things already got removed in the already-existing era system, and not everything requires research. For example, when you get to tech 3 as the NR, you research the New Class Project Phase I to get access to some era 3 ships. Then, when you get to era 4, you don't need to re-research them. They're still there. The only thing the NR loses are things like the Nebulon-B when it gets old, or the Liberty-class. The difference with the Remnant is that if you research the Sovereign for example, that's a ton of resources. But then if you lose Palpatine and end up in Era 4, you've lost all that investment because the Remnant /does/ lose some of its good tech between eras in a way that other factions do not.

It's essentially one of a couple ways to add progression within an era instead of being 5 completely separate steps, which is especially useful in single-era GCs.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 08, 2016, 11:53:38 PMReply #17

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2016, 11:53:38 PM »
that actually sounds really cool

August 24, 2016, 08:24:16 PMReply #18

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2016, 08:24:16 PM »
2.2 is going to be a huge update probable the most remarkable one because of the new features. Great work!
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

August 25, 2016, 11:26:09 PMReply #19

Offline c7x8z4

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 11:26:09 PM »
2.2 looks very promising. 

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!