Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: The Ssi-Ruuvi Redux & Development Progress  (Read 5482 times)

August 02, 2016, 01:49:50 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
The Ssi-Ruuvi Redux & Development Progress
« on: August 02, 2016, 01:49:50 AM »
The Ssi Ruuvi Imperium

In the past we've talked about our intention to have the Ssi-Ruuvi in the mod, and now we're explaining that a bit more. And before anyone says it, no, they will not be a playable faction in 1.1.

History & Culture

"It has been almost thirty years since the Ssi-ruuvi Imperium waged war in this section of the galaxy. In fact, our former masters were assessing more than just their tactics in the wake of their defeat." - Lwothin

For much of its history, the Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium remained isolated in their own star cluster, content to enslave less powerful species close by, chief among them the closely-related P'wecks. This isolation was partially the result of xenophobia, while the Ssi-Ruuk religious fear of dying away from consecrated ground also contributed heavily. In this isolation, the Ssi-Ruuk developed their own unique technology to power their droids and starships, a process named entechment by which they drained a being of its life energy. Resource scarcity drove the Imperium to become expansionist around the Battle of Endor, and upon taking Imperial prisoners from border worlds, they discovered that humans provided significantly larger amounts of energy. A deal with Emperor Palpatine had promised the Imperium several worlds and millions of entechable humans, however upon his death the Empire was no longer able to fulfil this deal, and the Imperium began an invasion into the Chiss Ascendancy and the known galaxy. The New Republic launched a counter-offensive after defeating the Imperium at Bakura, only to find the Ssi-Ruuvi fleet in shambles, the result the much more destructive theatre of war between the Chiss forces and the Imperium; Jagged Fel indicated the occurance of several skirmishes between the Chiss and the Imperium. Although it would take decades, the Imperium recovered and, under the influence of Yuuzhan Vong infiltrators, launched another offensive in 28ABY which was ultimately thwarted by the Galactic Alliance and a P'weck slave revolt.

Gameplay

"The gulfs of space are not home to us and neither are the barren worlds. The worlds of fire and the worlds of ice are not home to us. Where oxygen burns and water flows, where carbon bonds and ozone protects—there we plant our roots. The seed of our species is fertile; all we require is the soil in which to plant it." - The Keeramak, Grand Shreeftut of the Ssi-Ruuvi Imperium

For those who remember, we initially announced the Ssi-Ruuvi as a non-playable faction a few years back, although they've yet to feature in the mod. This changes as of 1.1. One of the possible random events in the mod will be Ssi-Ruuvi incursions into the galaxy. These can range from small-scale scouting fleets, to full-fledged armadas rivaling the power of the players in the game. When they do show up, you'd better deal with them fast, as they will have the ability to not only destroy your territory, but to capture and exploit it for themselves and expand their fleet. In our test games, it's not uncommon for them to become a major consideration, especially if they arrive early enough in an unoccupied section of the galaxy.

Their fleets will consist of the Shree-class as their heavy hitter, the Lwhekk-class Manufacturing ship as a carrier which does not require being resupplied (one of their faction bonuses), the Wurrif-class cruiser and the Swarm Droid fighter. If we end up with more art resources than we expected, we may make a few more units for them in 1.1, but that will most likely be waiting for them to become one of the three future playable factions in a future version.

Development Progress

In general, the mod is progressing well. As you can see in the screenshot above, the UI rework is essentially finished. Part of this will involve some of our steps to make the game mechanics a bit more clear to players, especially new ones, which we'll explain in a future news post with a few mechanical changes to the Remnant and New Republic. Heroes are also almost done, with a few key exceptions. The majority of the work remains with the Empire of the Hand, who will be gaining 3 new capital ships, two space stations and two defense platforms in 1.1.

Corey will also be hosting some community games of 1.0 on his stream in august. The schedule for this is as follows:

Friday August 5th - 6 PM EST
Sunday August 7th - 2 PM EST
Saturday August 13th - 5 PM EST
Wednesday August 17th - 6 PM EST
Saturday August 20th - 2 PM EST

Follow Ascendancy

Forums - Facebook - Steam Group - Mod DB

« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:03:25 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 02, 2016, 09:26:36 AMReply #1

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: The Ssi-Ruuvi Redux & Development Progress
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 09:26:36 AM »
Alan Grant voice, "What species is this?"
TR team, "It's Ssi Ruuk."
Me, "You bred space raptors..."
Ominous music insertion
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

August 02, 2016, 12:15:25 PMReply #2

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 12:15:25 PM »
"Clever girl"
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

August 03, 2016, 10:24:40 AMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »
They're moving in fleets...they do move in fleets.(insert Jurassic Park theme)

August 03, 2016, 10:33:19 AMReply #4

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 10:33:19 AM »
They're, uh . . . They're fleeting this way
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

August 03, 2016, 03:41:32 PMReply #5

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 03:41:32 PM »
space dinos! SPACE DINOSAURS EVERYWHERE!
Btw.: nice Ssi Ruuk faction highlight pic. As I see Revanchist is already using it :D
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

August 03, 2016, 03:59:02 PMReply #6

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 03:59:02 PM »
space dinos! SPACE DINOSAURS EVERYWHERE!
Btw.: nice Ssi Ruuk faction highlight pic. As I see Revanchist is already using it :D

Absolutely. The most underrepresented faction on the forum. Have to support the space dinos with purple space lasers (as per mod team, not necessarily canon). I just love the whole idea behind these guys and can't wait until they get full faction status.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

August 03, 2016, 04:17:09 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2016, 04:17:09 PM »
They can be scary in the game.  On a largish medium map I tested a bit after they were working, they had managed to capture a good 15-20% of the galaxy.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

August 03, 2016, 05:09:27 PMReply #8

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 05:09:27 PM »
They can be scary in the game.  On a largish medium map I tested a bit after they were working, they had managed to capture a good 15-20% of the galaxy.

Unfortunately I have yet to encounter them. Looking forward to it though.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

August 04, 2016, 10:59:38 AMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »

Well the way they build droids and entech theoretically they can snowball very fast at alarming rates

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!