Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: GC Discussion: Difficulty Ratings  (Read 6700 times)

April 03, 2016, 02:10:19 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
GC Discussion: Difficulty Ratings
« on: April 03, 2016, 02:10:19 PM »
Because of our attempts to represent the relative strengths and weaknesses of different factions at different times in the post-Endor era, different GCs have always provided different levels of difficulty for different factions by design. This can sometimes cause confusion to newer players who, for example, jump straight into From the Ground Up. So, one of the things we're doing in 2.2 is adding a section to the GC descriptions for difficulty (ala what you'd find in faction select for a Total War game).

As the people who've played the mod most, we want your opinions on which GCs are hardest are hardest, and which are easiest, broken down by faction. For simplicity's sake, we're keeping this to  five different levels (Easiest, Easy, Normal, Hard, Hardest).
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

April 03, 2016, 02:19:50 PMReply #1

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
Re: GC Discussion: Difficulty Ratings
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
Well the hardest has always been FTGU startint with one planet is hard, I think I've never completed it
A hard one with the IR is the one in era 4 with daala wich you only star with the maw and kessel and maybe the black fleet crisis too
Easy the era 3 campaign with the empire
And the easiest for me was the era 1 with isaard as the empire, long campaign but I could build up my forces really fast and the NR is not so powerful in ships or fighters in comparison with later eras.

That's all I remember, I have to reinstall EaW and I'm waiting for 2.2 beign released to download. I've played some other campaigns as well but they weren't extremely difficult or remarkable easy
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

April 03, 2016, 03:25:05 PMReply #2

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 03:25:05 PM »
Basically agree.  Shadow Hand as the IR is super easy even on the highest difficulty settings, while Reunification with Daala is EXCEEDINGLY hard...the first couple times until you learn how to do it, then it's pretty easy.

Most of the PA GC's are a bit harder than the IR's due to their situation between the IR and the EoTH and their weak starting economy.  Part of why I enjoy them more.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

April 03, 2016, 04:05:01 PMReply #3

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »
Final Imperial Push is a well-balanced GC that provides challenges for all 3 factions, so either Hard or Normal for EotH and NR, Hard for IR. If you remove buildable fighter squadrons or reduce their recruitment priority to prevent IR fighter spam that is very prominent in Era 5 and easily countered I would say Hard for everyone.

Thrawn Campaign either normal or easy for both.

Reunification Hard for IR (well Hardest unless you know what you're doing, in which case it is Normal), Easy/Normal for NR.

BFC Hard for NR, Easy/Normal for Yevetha.

Any Era 1 starting IR GC = Easiest.

April 03, 2016, 05:15:12 PMReply #4

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 05:15:12 PM »
I'm going to go in order of the GCs from the selection menu to make it simple.

The Stars Align:
  -Imperial Remnant: Easiest
  -New Republic: Hard
  -Pentastar Alignment: Easy-Normal

Fractured Empire:
  -Pentastar Alignment: Easy

The Hunt for Zsinj:
  -Imperial Remnant: Easy
  -New Republic: Normal-Hard

Thrawn Campaign:
  -Imperial Remnant: Easy-Normal depending on how many Katana Dreadnaught you could get. (Because if you could get 27 like I did once... Let's just say it's a big boost.)
  -New Republic: Easy-Normal depending on how many Katana Dreadnaught you could get.

Empires at War:
  -Empire of the Hand: Normal
  -Duskhan League: Hard (I know they are not playable, but I hope they will become playable too in 2.2 so I decided to add them into this one too)

Into the Cluster:

Shadow Hand:
This comes from the fact that IR has Ardus Kaine and Palpatine + the Sovereigns which can oneshot Wedge and the Lusankya which is a great problem. If you could find a way to limit the superlasers' maximum fire duration under the point where it destroys a SSD(or viscount) then it could be much more balanced and more challenging to the IR players... though it would lose some difficulty from the NR's POW
  -New Republic: Normal

Reunification:
  -Imperial Remnant: Hard
  -New Republic: Easy-Normal

Black Fleet Crysis.
  -Duskhan League: Easy

Final Imperial Push:
  -Imperial Remnant: Normal
I think this is the most balanced GC in the whole game in my opinion. I could say that EotH has a slight disadvantage because they have no SSD, but the Phalanxes and the strong bombers and fighters balance it out, so it is perfect. I play this GC the second most.

Essence of War:
  -New Republic: Normal-Hard
  -Pentastar Alignment: Normal

Imperial Civil War:
  -Pentastar Alignment: Easy-Normal
This is the top spot in my book. Played this GC the most... What can I say? I love large GCs.

Art of War:

From the Ground Up:
  -Imperial Remnant: Hardest
  -New Republic: Hardest
  -Pentastar Alignment: Hard
  -Empire of the Hand: Hardest
As I noticed the PA version is MUCH easier than the others because they start in a region with good income and when Dathomir is taken there is nothing what can stop PA from taking the CSA and gaining lucrehulks and getting more good income planets.
Corey, we need a harder one for the PA ;)

You have to ask someone else about the balance in survival though... I remember trying once with the Remnants, but lost interest. It's not my thing.

I hope this will suffice.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

April 04, 2016, 05:42:02 PMReply #5

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2016, 05:42:02 PM »
Of course all (or alot) of the above is liable to be very different with additional active warlord factions..  :angel:
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!