Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Elite Fighters  (Read 5927 times)

February 20, 2016, 06:34:36 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Elite Fighters
« on: February 20, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
Although superior fighters are meant to be a strength of the New Republic, the fact that they had fewer compared to other factions tended to make their superiority insignificant. The lack of fighter shielding in Sins also tended to make this an issue. In order to make their superiority significant via stats would require some pretty weird numbers that in the end wouldn't really feel right.

Instead of just pure stats, we've decided on an alternative compromise to help represent both shielding and other aspects which make the New Republic fighters a cut above their Imperial counterparts. Every New Republic fighter now has a 75% chance to dodge any given incoming attack. This should mean that even with superior enemy numbers, the New Republic has a better chance of coming out on top.

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 20, 2016, 09:19:51 PMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Elite Fighters
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 09:19:51 PM »
WOOT!!  Should definitely be a huge blessing for the NR crews.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 20, 2016, 10:22:33 PMReply #2

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 10:22:33 PM »
Love the idea.  Is it to be innate, or a research project bonus?

February 21, 2016, 09:13:26 AMReply #3

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 09:13:26 AM »
I like the idea but that said it might be to overpowered perticually if the NR had a larger fleet than the enemy the fighters could be just too difficult to kill.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

February 21, 2016, 04:47:55 PMReply #4

Offline Indignation211

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 04:47:55 PM »
I definitely approve of the concept but 75% seems like a bit too much, especially when you take into account the Endurance's Signal Interference ability which also reduces enemy fighter's accuracy.

Maybe something like 50% or 33% would be better, depending on how it stacks with Signal Interference.

February 21, 2016, 09:59:01 PMReply #5

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 09:59:01 PM »
The number is where it currently is for testing, and to make sure it's actually happening.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 22, 2016, 04:45:07 PMReply #6

Offline Brutoni

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »
Interesting idea. Is this bonus applied as a faction bonus or individually on specific ships? If so will thinks like the Tie Defender, Skipray Blastboat and such like also feature a slightly more limited version of this?

February 22, 2016, 05:07:08 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 05:07:08 PM »
Good question.  While the skipray shouldn't get this so much (yeah, it was tough as nails but was a big target and not very maneuverable), the Defender would in theory since they were the performance king, and historically only the best of the best (or insanely lucky) got to fly them.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

February 22, 2016, 05:16:31 PMReply #8

Offline Brutoni

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2016, 05:16:31 PM »
Good question.  While the skipray shouldn't get this so much (yeah, it was tough as nails but was a big target and not very maneuverable), the Defender would in theory since they were the performance king, and historically only the best of the best (or insanely lucky) got to fly them.

Fair point, although if this is also an abstraction of agility, speed, manoeuvrability and shields the Skipray could still end up with a small chance to dodge (15%?) to represent the fact its shield meant even if it didn't have the agility of a Tie Fighter it tended to have a longer combat survival than one?

Will New Republic craft have a similar values as this will be an abstraction of a number of capabilities and generally the NR was good at making sure the less agile craft like Y-wing and B-Wings had much stronger shields. 

February 22, 2016, 08:41:39 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2016, 08:41:39 PM »
It's by faction as a matter of technical necessity. It's a bonus that piggybacks on the host ship's Degrading Systems buff.

March 01, 2016, 04:35:54 PMReply #10

Offline Brutoni

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2016, 04:35:54 PM »
It's by faction as a matter of technical necessity. It's a bonus that piggybacks on the host ship's Degrading Systems buff.

Interesting. Is this because fighters themselves cannot have abilities?

March 01, 2016, 05:21:47 PMReply #11

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2016, 05:21:47 PM »
Yeah. Fighters can have abilities through the squadron entity, but I haven't found a way to make the squadron actually pass the buff to the fighter.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!