Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Torpedo Sphere  (Read 15212 times)

March 01, 2016, 03:31:20 PMReply #20

Offline GEARREX_11

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Torpedo Sphere
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 03:31:20 PM »
You bring up a good point Corey. It is explicitly stated the Torpedo Spheres where GUARDING the specific planets. Why would they be used on planets already conquered if they were just for surface bombardment? They obviously had anti ship roles in mind when they deployed them to guard planets implying it was not JUST a siege platform as we are made to believe. I mean if I had a ship that could take on an SSD that is ten times its size I would want that thing in MY fleet!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2016, 02:08:41 PM by GEARREX_11 »

March 01, 2016, 04:25:12 PMReply #21

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2016, 04:25:12 PM »
dude, originally I admired your determination, but now it starts to go to annoying. Please, just... stop.
If you do a submod with it i will surely download it because i love the ship, but it's just not gonna happen
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 01, 2016, 05:23:31 PMReply #22

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2016, 05:23:31 PM »
I don't believe I ever said we wouldn't do it.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 01, 2016, 05:39:04 PMReply #23

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2016, 05:39:04 PM »
Hey, everyone is telling that it would not work well for EaW mechanics(including you).
If you do it for Ascendancy(where IMO it would make much more sense and work much better) and then bring it back here to ICW, then bless you Canada, USA and dev team.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 01, 2016, 09:00:27 PMReply #24

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2016, 09:00:27 PM »
They were used in defense forces though. It's pretty inconsistent.

I can't see them being attached to mobile fleets much. So having them as orbital platforms for defense fleets makes sense
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

March 02, 2016, 02:09:47 PMReply #25

Offline GEARREX_11

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2016, 02:09:47 PM »
My apologies kucsidave I was not trying to be annoying. Corey was still willing to discuss this ship so I figured it was still ok to continue posting to this thread.

March 10, 2016, 10:56:43 PMReply #26

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2016, 10:56:43 PM »
It's okay to talk about whatever, really. People can even discuss possible EotH SSDs if they really wanted to.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 11, 2016, 02:13:30 PMReply #27

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2016, 02:13:30 PM »
It's okay to talk about whatever, really. People can even discuss possible EotH SSDs if they really wanted to.

Let's not open that van of worms....

April 20, 2016, 03:38:49 PMReply #28

Offline Jorritkarwehr

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2016, 03:38:49 PM »
Watching the Ascendancy Streams got me thinking about this unit again. I have no idea how possible this is, but what if the torpedo sphere could only fire its torpedoes at Golans, Space stations, and possibly SSDs? They would have poor fire control, but still be useful for sieging a planet.

Alternatively, could the defiler's sabotage ability be reworked somehow? I'd be thrilled if I could knock out some defenses from orbit before attempting an invasion.

April 20, 2016, 06:02:23 PMReply #29

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2016, 06:02:23 PM »
What if the torpedo sphere could only fire its torpedoes at Golans, Space stations, and possibly SSDs? They would have poor fire control, but still be useful for sieging a planet.

I love this idea and it would also fill a weakness in the Imp roster in not having any anti-station ships.

Alternatively, could the defiler's sabotage ability be reworked somehow? I'd be thrilled if I could knock out some defenses from orbit before attempting an invasion.

This should be possible, though if implemented, I'd like to see it cost relatively much (around 3000 or so). Expending tens of thousands torpedoes to nuke a poor little barracks through planetary shielding must be damn expensive.

April 20, 2016, 09:52:32 PMReply #30

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2016, 09:52:32 PM »
Has the team actually been applying damage bonuses based on target type like vanilla Sins has?  If not, everything's an anti-station ship. ;)

April 20, 2016, 11:33:06 PMReply #31

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2016, 11:33:06 PM »
Ascendancy has the same types of damage modifiers as the base game (and ICW/EaW), albeit unmodified so not quite what we'd want yet. That being said, this is ICW so there's nothing dedicated to anti-structure. Until the AI actually uses defensive stuff properly, not sure if a dedicated anti-structure ship would be a great option. As far as the Defiler thing, I don't remember but doesn't that mechanic require corruption?

April 21, 2016, 07:30:00 AMReply #32

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2016, 07:30:00 AM »
It does require corruption for the Defiler sabotage and theft options.

October 08, 2016, 01:30:11 AMReply #33

Offline StarBornMichaelh165

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-6
  • Long Live the United Species Republic.
    • View Profile
    • www.YouTube.com
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2016, 01:30:11 AM »
I like To see the Torpedo Sphere in ICW so bad.
Greetings my people and welcome to the United Species Republic. Come and join the Republic that is not Like any Republic you never know before come join today. Oh and check out my YouTube and my Fan Fiction Profile OK Everyone.
 [img] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Pictures/my%20photos/Conqueror_superlaser.jpg [img]

October 09, 2016, 05:54:01 AMReply #34

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2016, 05:54:01 AM »
You bring up a good point Corey. It is explicitly stated the Torpedo Spheres where GUARDING the specific planets. Why would they be used on planets already conquered if they were just for surface bombardment? They obviously had anti ship roles in mind when they deployed them to guard planets implying it was not JUST a siege platform as we are made to believe. I mean if I had a ship that could take on an SSD that is ten times its size I would want that thing in MY fleet!

Any person who thinks a giant sphere of Proton torpedoes ISN'T anti ship...might want to look at the battle of Traulus and ask Grand Admiral Grunger how one loses 10 ISDs and 20 VSDs along with 100 support ships to one with the only option left being kamikaze with an SSD...

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!