Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Dev Diary #13: Escapism  (Read 4764 times)

December 25, 2014, 08:41:40 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Dev Diary #13: Escapism
« on: December 25, 2014, 08:41:40 PM »
...The Somewhat-Exorable March of Progress...

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, our Mod Database profile is currently claiming that the mod is going to release on December 31st. We've been attempting to put the finishing touches on the first version of the mod for the last few weeks, however work and other factors have been trying to mess us up as much as possible. The dates we've put on Mod DB (the 18th and the 31st) were determined based on the assumption that I would be working 3 days a week for the end of November and December, and that I'd be taking the 14th to the 27th off. What ended up happening was I worked 6 days a week, and didn't finish until the 22nd, which as you can imagine severely disrupted the modding time I had scheduled. Either way, we're almost ready to start putting it out for feedback and balancing; all that remains are abilities and a few scenarios, as well as some cleanup. This first version will not include the Empire of the Hand. As the faction where we have the most freedom to explore different options, we want to make sure we don't rush it, however we don't see the point in delaying letting everyone play with the two other factions that are done, or nearly done, and iterating on the feedback there while we finish the Empire of the Hand.

Don't worry, you'll be able to play with (or kill, whatever floats your boat) a bunch of Clawcraft soon enough, you'll just get to play with X-Wings and TIE Fighters even sooner. Along with other stuff...

...Survivor's Quest...

We'd also like to use this opportunity to talk about another feature we're implementing to the game; Escape Pods. These are primarily related to the New Republic as the faction most concerned with saving as many of their own lives as possible although they do make some appearances in the other non-Saurian and non-biological factions. Their key role is as part of a passive ability for all New Republic capital ships and cruisers. Upon the near-destruction of these ships, their surviving crew will escape in the aptly-named Escape Pods. These pods cannot hyperspace, can be destroyed, and are somewhat slow to manoeuvre. They have the ability to dock with allied ships in order to provide several bonuses, including a temporary damage bonus credits, restored health, and restored supply. Essentially, in order to maximize the cost efficiency as the New Republic's lategame ships, you'll need to recover as many pods as possible. As ever, the exact bonuses are subject to change as we go.

Follow Ascendancy
Forums - Facebook - Steam Group - Youtube - Mod DB
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 02:58:21 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 26, 2014, 12:50:25 PMReply #1

Offline jordanthejq12

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-1
  • RIP, Expanded Universe. You will be missed.
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Diary #13: Escapism
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 12:50:25 PM »
If a ship launches pods but manages to survive and is repaired, will it launch pods again if its health gets that low again? (In other words, is this a one-shot ability?)
"Show the same loyalty you have in the past, Mandalore. If there is a Mandalorian crusade, let it be for something that will carry your people's memory into the future, so when the time comes when there are no more Mandalorians, than at least their honor will remain."
--Kreia, Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords

December 28, 2014, 05:18:35 PMReply #2

Offline Delta

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2014, 05:18:35 PM »
Love this idea can't wait to see it in all its beauty, will the Imperial's still have pods too just not as important? Also would be interesting if the Imperial Remnant can leave behind its fighters in order to jump to hyper faster.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 05:26:58 PM by Delta29 »

December 28, 2014, 05:30:33 PMReply #3

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 05:30:33 PM »
The only time any Imperial ship has escape pods is with the Altor's self destruct ability.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 30, 2014, 03:11:22 PMReply #4

Offline mynameisyou

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-14
  • I'm not saying anything...Crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 03:11:22 PM »
would a late game research that requires the Pellaeon doctrine that gives the empire escape pods and maybe one that does the same for the Vong called jeedai heretic be possible be possible to putt in?

December 30, 2014, 06:14:35 PMReply #5

Offline Delta

• Mod Team Member
  • Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 06:14:35 PM »
would a late game research that requires the Pellaeon doctrine that gives the empire escape pods and maybe one that does the same for the Vong called jeedai heretic be possible be possible to putt in?

That would be cool, though for the Empire's they should bail while the ship is still at either 30,20,10% of its ships life or something to simulate them leaving while the ship is still alive, as the Empire stayed on their ships most of the time to prevent capture / last ditch effort to pump out damage. It would provide a negative for taking the doctrine as well as positives similar to the NR's.

December 30, 2014, 06:29:28 PMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »

The point is to emphasize the humanitarian side of the NR, which we don't want to dilute. Also, that would require escape pods to be their own ability (right now they're piggybacking on degrading systems for the NR), so it would take up a second passive ability slot on every Imperial ship, limiting them to 3 abilities at most.

December 31, 2014, 08:39:28 AMReply #7

Offline Supekki

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • Galaxy is the strange thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 08:39:28 AM »
leave no one behind, save every officer you can !
My Gaming PC!
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 @ 3,50 ghz, turbo up to 3,90 ghz
GPU: Asus GTX 650 1gb of GDDR5 and its 1071Mhz
mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H mATX ultra Durable
Ram: 12gb of kingston 1333 mhz (2x4gb and 2x2gb)

Accsessories
Mouse + KBD: Logitech: G400s FPS mouse and Logitech G105 gaming keyboard.
Headsets: Sound Blaster 3D Tactic Rage wireless

December 31, 2014, 09:54:20 AMReply #8

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:54:20 AM »
Target the escape pods, and remember!!  LAUGH while blowing the defenseless scum away!!!
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

January 01, 2015, 02:31:01 AMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 02:31:01 AM »
Target the escape pods, and remember!!  LAUGH while blowing the defenseless scum away!!!
Commencing the sing along version now...
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!