Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: What You Can Do in 2.2  (Read 30372 times)

July 02, 2014, 06:33:42 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
What You Can Do in 2.2
« on: July 02, 2014, 06:33:42 AM »
We've been very adamant that we wouldn't be doing any major updates to the mod past 2.1. We lied. This post has a rundown on what kind of new things you can expect to find in the next version, which is turning out to be more than just the little patches we were promising.

...Improved Models and Skins...

One of our primary goals in the last few versions has been to redo out of date or un-optimized content, ranging from entire redesigns as with the majority of the Empire of the Hand, to smaller model optimizations like with the Clawcraft. We're continuing on with that goal in 2.2, using models and skins we've been developing for our Sins of a Solar Empire mod, Ascendancy. So far in 2.2, the most prominent of the reworks are the Strike Cruiser, which has been entirely remodelled with a sleeker design, and the Bothan Assault Cruiser and Assault Frigate, the models for which have been significantly optimized, and the textures for which have been entirely redone.

...Bugfixes and Balancing...

We're also focusing on tracking down and eliminating some bugs, many of which we addressed with our mini patch beta addressed, such as the crashes when you tried to change eras after a faction was already eliminated. This also includes reworking some of the ship rigs where bones faced the wrong way, like the Venator. We also have the defreezer by Pox and Fregge, which adresses the unit selection bug and allows us to re-enable galactic AI for minor factions in GCs, so Hapans and other groups are able to attack you.

...Particle Rescaling...

One of the changes people ask for most often is for us to scale down the particles for Turbos and Ions, because they have a to obscure the ships behind them, and be larger than the things they're shooting out of. So, we've both reduced particle sizes by 50%, and sped them up considerably. The latter change is meant to reduce the amount of particles on screen at any time, which should improve performance without really sacrificing anything.

...New GC Scenarios...

We're doing at least one, maybe two new Galactic Conquest scenarios. The first one is a scenario which expands the mod back in time to cover the original timeperiod of FoC, the pre-Endor stages of the Galactic Civil War. This will be a medium sized scenario with new planets, and time period-appropriate units.

...New Units...

Along with the Galactic Civil War GC units, there'll be a few new units for other eras in this release as well. Most of these will be split between the Pentastar Alignment and the Empire of the Hand. These include the Gladiator Star Destroyer for the Pentastar Alignment, and the Alaria for the Empire of the Hand. The Alaria was designed for Ascendancy as a supply ship, so the version in ICW will be a heavy carrier refit for the later eras. We'd also like to include another capital ship for the Empire of the Hand, depending on how quickly it gets completed. we have a thread dedicated to discussing the nature of the Pentastar Alignment and what should be done with them on our forums as well.

...New Feature: Diplomatic Planet Influence...

Smallpox has been working on creating a new system for the mod, which adds a non-military option to convert planets to your cause. We've put out a test version for the base, unmodded Forces of Corruption game to get a sense of how people feel about the system, what should be added or changed, and whether or not they would like to have it added to Imperial Civil War, along with any bug reports/performance issues it causes. Click here to go to the thread and download it, and please give any feedback you have, even if it's just to say you do or don't like it. Guests are able to post, so you don't need an account to respond to threads.

...And more?

If there's anything else you'd like to see, we encourage you to post your suggestions on our forums. We're definitely going to be doing Let's Plays of Ascendancy as we get closer to release for that, so I'm playing with the idea of doing one for ICW as well, if that's something anyone would be interested in.

...Follow the mod...
Forums - Facebook - Youtube
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 06:36:22 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 02, 2014, 07:06:00 AMReply #1

Offline Carnivore Jacques

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-1
    • View Profile
Re: What You Can Do in 2.2
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:06:00 AM »
I am so excited for this. Nice job on the new AF texture.
Did the Venator's rigging actually cause any problems? I hadn't noticed any.
I'd also be interested in watching the Let's Play.

July 02, 2014, 07:21:28 AMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:21:28 AM »
Did the Venator's rigging actually cause any problems? I hadn't noticed any.

Everything on it was still functional, it just messed with the firing arcs since some bones were backwards. It could shoot left and right pretty much fine, but it had too much coverage behind it and not enough in front.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 08:53:39 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 02, 2014, 11:11:48 AMReply #3

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 11:11:48 AM »
This looks, very very interesting, can't wait to see what you guys can do, of course it will be something awsome, just the idea of eliminating the freeze and the diplomatic influence, it all sounds great, keep up the great work.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

July 02, 2014, 04:17:50 PMReply #4

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 04:17:50 PM »
This looks, very very interesting, can't wait to see what you guys can do, of course it will be something awsome, just the idea of eliminating the freeze and the diplomatic influence, it all sounds great, keep up the great work.

Yeah, them finding a way to negate the freeze is HUGE for this game.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 02, 2014, 08:27:21 PMReply #5

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 08:27:21 PM »
Sounds great.  Super exciting about the idea of throwing down during the GCW with Thrawn's Revenge gameplay.  Does this mean we'll be seeing the Dauntless?

July 02, 2014, 10:35:17 PMReply #6

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 10:35:17 PM »
perhaps the Orinda campaign? Zsinj's ISDs producing Raptors in his GC, and some fine tuning with some new VOs for characters not already with them?
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 03, 2014, 12:37:17 PMReply #7

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
perhaps the Orinda campaign? Zsinj's ISDs producing Raptors in his GC, and some fine tuning with some new VOs for characters not already with them?

I would like to see the Raptors for Zsinj.

The Orinda campaign would be cool, although the everpresent elephant for that is Megador and Dominion.  We know they were Dreadnoughts, but nothing else.  Vulcanus used Praetors for them, which while making them more powerful than most any other unit in the game, drastically understates their true power levels.  But you make them Executors, and it gets almost too easy to win as the IR given how bad the AI is at dealing with fighting SSD's.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 03, 2014, 01:22:42 PMReply #8

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2014, 01:22:42 PM »
I would like to see the Raptors for Zsinj.

The Orinda campaign would be cool, although the everpresent elephant for that is Megador and Dominion.  We know they were Dreadnoughts, but nothing else.  Vulcanus used Praetors for them, which while making them more powerful than most any other unit in the game, drastically understates their true power levels.  But you make them Executors, and it gets almost too easy to win as the IR given how bad the AI is at dealing with fighting SSD's.

Megador and Dominion are indeed a bit problematic, because if you make them SSDs, you've got to give NR the Guardian to balance it out. That means 5 SSDs in what is a relatively small campaign, unless one wants to give NR more starting planets to make them more powerful. I used Praetors for them because even if they are not quite as powerful as Megador and Dominion were, they are proportionally just powerful enough for a small 30+ planet GC.

I could convert my Orinda Campaign into a stand-alone ICW compatible GC, without additional units and some heroes of the submod, but still retain the Guardian capture plot and Lusankya turbolasers. The biggest task in converting to ICW would be rebalancing the starting units, as I don't have combat values for ICW New Republic space units.

That is, if you Thrawn's Revenge mod team folks want it  ;)

July 03, 2014, 07:45:01 PMReply #9

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2014, 07:45:01 PM »
Megador and Dominion are indeed a bit problematic, because if you make them SSDs, you've got to give NR the Guardian to balance it out. That means 5 SSDs in what is a relatively small campaign, unless one wants to give NR more starting planets to make them more powerful. I used Praetors for them because even if they are not quite as powerful as Megador and Dominion were, they are proportionally just powerful enough for a small 30+ planet GC.

I could convert my Orinda Campaign into a stand-alone ICW compatible GC, without additional units and some heroes of the submod, but still retain the Guardian capture plot and Lusankya turbolasers. The biggest task in converting to ICW would be rebalancing the starting units, as I don't have combat values for ICW New Republic space units.

That is, if you Thrawn's Revenge mod team folks want it  ;)

Well could do the Asserter class. I know I know. Hear me out. Have it GC or planet specific. With the Asserters having more punch than a praetor but less than the SSD, while carrying less fighters(Basically the concept of the Tector taken to maximum) This gives the remant significant punch but vulnerablility as well. While scaling would be difficult it could be that equivalent to two Praetors but with less hangar space, developed more as a battleship. The idea could be for the Remnant could be the heavy vessels but no replacements, a campaign where you truly have to use your elements correctly as they can't be replaced. The NR is a counter as it has Lusankya but mainly focuses on Fighter carriers. I know a large amount of the fanbase likes super ships(I actually am not a major fan of too many, but having one GC where such things go head to head could be a good thing)

July 03, 2014, 08:36:10 PMReply #10

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2014, 08:36:10 PM »
The problem with an Assertor is that while we don't have canon armaments for them, they were intended when Ansel penned them that they as far as weapons and shielding were actually SUPERIOR to an Executor, but without the assault capability or carrier ability.  Better that they'd be Bellator.  SIGNIFICANTLY closer to the Praetor II in power than the Assertor or Mandator-III, while still being a dreadnought in size.

However, the main problem with ANY of those is that I doubt the team would want to model them for something that's basically used in only 1 GC, and there's no good reason to make it available in any other GC's since all 3 of these classes weren't anywhere near as common as the larger Executor.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 08:37:42 PM by tlmiller »

July 04, 2014, 05:35:08 AMReply #11

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2014, 05:35:08 AM »
Yes it's understandable

July 04, 2014, 05:34:40 PMReply #12

Offline Zsinj

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2014, 05:34:40 PM »
Everything looks Amazing!
"No, I never really would have asked you to kiss him."―Han Solo, to Chewbacca

July 05, 2014, 07:29:08 PMReply #13

Offline rumiks1

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • green and gold
    • View Profile
    • http://www.moddb.com/members/na368360/images/and-they-just-rebuilt-that
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2014, 07:29:08 PM »
more gc maps will be good if you can or have the time and what would happen in a 5-6 era vong or something?
"This is the way of our Order. An individual may die, but the Sith are eternal."
    ―Darth Zannah, Dark Lord of the Sith
http://www.moddb.com/members/na368360/images/and-they-just-rebuilt-that

July 11, 2014, 10:23:34 AMReply #14

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 10:23:34 AM »
It would be cool if y'all made a mini-GC (like the BFC) with the Ssi-Ruuk and the New Republic duking it out.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

July 11, 2014, 12:28:31 PMReply #15

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2014, 12:28:31 PM »
It would be cool if y'all made a mini-GC (like the BFC) with the Ssi-Ruuk and the New Republic duking it out.

Even could add the EotH. This is a good idea

July 11, 2014, 12:30:19 PMReply #16

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2014, 12:30:19 PM »
How would you do the ground forces though? Animating the Ssi Ruuk and Pwi'wek troops would be a challenge in ICW id imagine

July 11, 2014, 12:44:45 PMReply #17

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2014, 12:44:45 PM »
How would you do the ground forces though? Animating the Ssi Ruuk and Pwi'wek troops would be a challenge in ICW id imagine

Entechment-powered ground vehicles?

July 11, 2014, 12:53:42 PMReply #18

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2014, 12:53:42 PM »
Entechment-powered ground vehicles?
You mean a colony of these:P
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

July 11, 2014, 01:06:06 PMReply #19

Offline Vulcanus

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2014, 01:06:06 PM »
You mean a colony of these:P

Umm...probably not. That would be like having a mouse-droid 'armored' brigade buildable for the Remnant  ;D.

What I meant is that if you're going to add the Ssi-Ruuk to ICW, it could be easier to design new combat vehicles instead of dinosaurs with blasters.

Then again, dinosaurs with blasters are infinitely cooler than an enteched tank could ever be.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!