Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Crisis in Syria  (Read 9672 times)

September 10, 2013, 03:00:49 PMReply #20

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
Re: Crisis in Syria
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »
They used to be pretty common here, actually. This was back in 2007-2008 though, so I don't think more than one or two people would remember any of them (Meyer might). Ended with three people receiving one-week bans which makes up 75% of the total bans we've ever handed out that I can remember. It also resulted in me getting contacted by the parents of some forum members, which was extremely awkward.

Guess it's fun remembering how young some of the people are here.

Ahahahah how is it that I missed that one, anyway in my opinion I don't see why everyone is so concerned about Syria I mean similar situation happened and not so long ago (Lybia for example) what I think will happen is that the US will interfere and "peace" will come

I would think people would be concerned (ignoring the amount of media being put towards it, which tends to help people pay attention every once and a while) either because the whole fiasco with chemical weapons or the fact that they don't like the part where the US interferes.
How do I even

September 10, 2013, 03:13:41 PMReply #21

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
I don't see why everyone is so concerned about Syria I mean similar situation happened and not so long ago (Lybia for example) what I think will happen is that the US will interfere and "peace" will come
One difference is that the Libya incursion and no-fly-zone was supported by a UN Resolution - something not forthcoming in the case of Syria.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

September 10, 2013, 04:02:52 PMReply #22

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
Summary of my professor's/my own thoughts:

Obama backed himself into a corner by saying chemical weapons were the red line, probably thinking Assad wouldn't go that far and essentially giving both sides carte blanche to do whatever they wanted while still giving America time to formulate who it actually wanted to end up in charge/let them just stay out of it while still trying to put up a front. But then the chemical weapons were used, so now Obama's bluff's been called and the Russians are trying (currently only partially successfully) to give everyone a way out without anyone looking weak/having to invade anyone else.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:05:33 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

September 10, 2013, 05:08:21 PMReply #23

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
And that's the story of how Russia saved a US president's political butt.  A rare event indeed.
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

September 21, 2013, 11:57:13 PMReply #24

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 11:57:13 PM »
What a twist!
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

August 23, 2014, 05:51:49 PMReply #25

Offline StarLordX

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2014, 05:51:49 PM »
I was expecting Israel to intervene, given the usual clashes at the Golan Heights (which is currently under Israeli control). Israel always had a policy of launching counterstrikes on the enemy whenever their territory is threatened, as was the case in the Six-Day War and the Yom Kippur War.
''On the contrary, thanks to you, the weakling Jedi who scorned me will soon be erased from history, replaced by a new race of warriors, strong warriors. Warriors who know that the Force is not a shield to protect the useless, but in reality...a weapon to empower the worthy'' Desann

November 25, 2014, 06:25:32 AMReply #26

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 06:25:32 AM »
The Middle East, the Tatooine of Earth
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

November 25, 2014, 07:16:06 AMReply #27

Offline hoho96

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • A New Power Is Rising!
    • View Profile
    • MODDB
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »

What the hell Tatooine has in common with the M.E?!
It's more like a soup with tons of ingredients boiling in a closed pot on an endless fire.
β€œThe enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there in peace. War will make corpses of us all.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

"You may dispense with the pleasantries, Commander. I am here to put you back on schedule." ― DARTH VADER - RETURN OF THE JEDI

November 25, 2014, 06:25:35 PMReply #28

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 06:25:35 PM »

More Haruun Kal than Tatooine.

If you want a wretched hive of scum and villainy, there's always Washington D.C.

November 25, 2014, 06:53:22 PMReply #29

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 06:53:22 PM »
If you want a wretched hive of scum and villainy, there's always Washington D.C.
I don't even need to go that far, 4 miles away from where I live will do just as well or even go into town most of the places there are just plain awful.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!