Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: So far...  (Read 72984 times)

December 25, 2012, 06:47:23 PMReply #20

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +33/-11
  • Did I mention GROUNDBREAKING?
    • View Profile
Re: So far...
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2012, 06:47:23 PM »
If it's taking you five hours then you're probably doing something wrong. Also you do  or realize you can crank up build speeds , culture spread etc. in the game options before launching a game correct?

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

December 25, 2012, 07:43:08 PMReply #21

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2012, 07:43:08 PM »
Didn't realize you can crank up speeds.

And I may have been exagerating a LITTLE, but the basic concept is still the same.  Games massively sluggish.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

December 25, 2012, 08:06:51 PMReply #22

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2012, 08:06:51 PM »
And the Tie Avenger, my favorite fighter.

I tried playing the vanilla SOASE:  Rebellion again today.  I really don't see how people can play this game.  Absolutely terrible game.  I must be honest, it's one of the absolute worst games I've ever played.  Takes 5 hours to colonize a second planet unless you crank up the speed to 8x, and then everything happens so fast that you can't control anything.

What difficulty are you playing at? If you start with a colonizing capital and maybe four of your starter frigates (Kobalt, etc) it should only take a few minutes to colonize your first planet.

I'm really going to have to buy this once I get my PC for Computer Programming.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

December 25, 2012, 09:38:19 PMReply #23

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2012, 09:38:19 PM »
4 starter frigates don't survive the first planet they get to.  I have to build either a cap or like 6 corvettes to survives the independent fleets that surround the planets and despite being also corvettes with a small cruiser usually, rip through the player corvettes like so much 50 caliber browning through paper.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

December 25, 2012, 09:45:50 PMReply #24

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2012, 09:45:50 PM »
If you're really having trouble I might recommend turning on flagship victory. You get a free capital ship (your flagship that you have to keep alive to stay in the game) that is pretty much a brick against independent forces early game. If you play as the TEC I would suggest the Akkan as your first capital due to it's colonizing ability.

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

December 25, 2012, 09:58:32 PMReply #25

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2012, 09:58:32 PM »
First I want to try turning on the option to increase the speeds of everything.  That's my main issue.  It's not winning, it's how long it takes to get to the point that you can actually DO anything.

December 26, 2012, 04:35:45 AMReply #26

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2012, 04:35:45 AM »
OK, just played a game with everything set to it's fastest level.  OMG, it's like it's a totally different game.  It's SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more fun and engaging not having to wait for 20 minutes for a ship to phase jump (unless you've got a fleet with a bunch of cruisers, several caps and a titan, and set that fleet to jump together), not having your hair grow down to your shoulder before you get enough income to build a corvette, etc.  WOW.  I enjoyed it.

December 26, 2012, 11:18:34 AMReply #27

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
Mhm, I think most of the team either plays on faster or fastest.

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

December 26, 2012, 11:20:24 AMReply #28

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »
Even if it takes me yelling at Enceladus "change it to faster" 5 million times before he starts the game.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 26, 2012, 11:22:03 AMReply #29

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2012, 11:22:03 AM »
For the record it was on faster, you wanted it on fastest.

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

December 26, 2012, 11:44:16 AMReply #30

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2012, 11:44:16 AM »
No, it was on Fast. The Random who didn't know how to spell and I wanted it on Faster. There isn't an option called "Fastest." Get on my level, casual.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 12:56:31 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

December 26, 2012, 12:54:30 PMReply #31

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 12:54:30 PM »
I noticed that, Faster is the fastest.  But it's good enough that it's fun now.

December 26, 2012, 07:40:36 PMReply #32

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »
Truthfully Miller, I enjoy the game on its default pace. Though all of us do turn on "Faster" so that Ships actually feel better. And I have to say I think you need to give the base game more of a chance, because it's the game that made a fair share of TR just want to completely switch to it. So they must be doing something right. And I'm really sorry you had to play those other Mods.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

December 26, 2012, 08:22:42 PMReply #33

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 08:22:42 PM »
I still don't enjoy the ships of the vanilla game.  I've been playing Requiem though, and it's a lot of fun now that it's not moving like a sloth through a tar pit that's been frozen solid.

I still maintain that the default game on the default speeds was the single worst game I've ever played in my life.

December 26, 2012, 10:21:52 PMReply #34

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 10:21:52 PM »
I still don't enjoy the ships of the vanilla game.  I've been playing Requiem though, and it's a lot of fun now that it's not moving like a sloth through a tar pit that's been frozen solid.

I still maintain that the default game on the default speeds was the single worst game I've ever played in my life.

And I will maintain that you have no foresight and the ability to plan around such a slow progression. Though, I will agree that default ship speed is pretty bad.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

December 27, 2012, 12:26:25 AMReply #35

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2012, 12:26:25 AM »
It's not bad.  It's worse than afterschool detention slow.  It's bad enough to make what is, now that I know you can speed it up, a fun game seem like work.  It really is that dull.  Maybe once you have an empire up and running in larger maps it wouldn't be so bad.  But early when you have 1 or 2 planets and you're out of resources so you can't build anything else to expand any further, it's just absolutely horrible.

It's not foresight I lack, it's the willingness to set through a game that moves so amazingly slow that I'd rather go to work.

I have a very straight mindset, games with a very few exceptions (stratego and to a LIMITED degree chess) need to move, and be fun.  Setting and doing nothing is the opposite of a game.  It's a time out (chess I'm willing to wait a while, but I will only play with a strict rule of 1 minute thinking per move max, any more than that and I don't care to win or lose, I just don't want to play because it's not fun anymore).
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 12:31:29 AM by tlmiller »

December 27, 2012, 01:04:05 AMReply #36

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2012, 01:04:05 AM »
It's important to remember that Fun is subjective, even if I should be talking to myself here for chastising you. But really, I enjoy the slow pace.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

December 27, 2012, 01:27:45 AMReply #37

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2012, 01:27:45 AM »
I tend to play strictly in multiplayer games.

December 27, 2012, 08:11:08 AMReply #38

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2012, 08:11:08 AM »
Almost everyone I know is 2 hours ahead of me, so by the time I get home from work, get food, everyone I know that I COULD potentially play with is going to bed, so multiplayer isn't really an option for me.

December 27, 2012, 11:49:34 AMReply #39

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2012, 11:49:34 AM »
Almost everyone I know is 2 hours ahead of me, so by the time I get home from work, get food, everyone I know that I COULD potentially play with is going to bed, so multiplayer isn't really an option for me.

I don't think any developer here would mind if you posted a "Lets play at this Date" thread.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!