Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: So far...  (Read 72970 times)

January 01, 2013, 06:53:31 PMReply #80

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
Re: So far...
« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2013, 06:53:31 PM »
One thing I'd love to know from the developers is why in this day and age they still developed a game that didn't have the ability to AT LEAST take advantage of a PAE (physical address extension, allows 32-bit to see and address 8 GB memory by using 36-bit memory addressing instead of 32) kernel (which the Win7/8 32-bit kernels support).  Considering 90%+ of their market probably will have Windows 7+, easy enough to make the program have the ability to do 36-bit memory.  Not that this has anything to do with either mod.

I generally do exactly like Lavo suggests and disable anything I'm not actively going to use.  I do not, however, modify the file, I do use the ingame mods management since it always works for me, and allows me to change what factions are active at the time of playing.  I also have paging active and haven't (yet) needed to consider enabling LAA and have had no issues in vanilla, SoaGE, or Requiem.
The game was concieved in 2005 by an Indie company. There isn't much you can do about that.

The engine itself would have to be completely reworked if they wanted to accompany something else or at least so I've been told. Which wouldn't be worth the effort for just a standalone expansion. Maybe for a full blown sequal.

January 01, 2013, 07:45:25 PMReply #81

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 01, 2013, 07:45:25 PM »
OK, well, that makes some sense then at least.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

January 01, 2013, 08:14:52 PMReply #82

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 01, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
The game was concieved in 2005 by an Indie company. There isn't much you can do about that.

The engine itself would have to be completely reworked if they wanted to accompany something else or at least so I've been told. Which wouldn't be worth the effort for just a standalone expansion. Maybe for a full blown sequal.

Yep, that and support for multi core CPUs is hopefully what Sins 2 would do (assuming it gets made)
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

January 01, 2013, 08:26:21 PMReply #83

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 01, 2013, 08:26:21 PM »
A Dark Forces II remake or mod would be awesome.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

January 01, 2013, 08:26:49 PMReply #84

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 01, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »
One thing I'd love to know from the developers is why in this day and age they still developed a game that didn't have the ability to AT LEAST take advantage of a PAE (physical address extension, allows 32-bit to see and address 8 GB memory by using 36-bit memory addressing instead of 32) kernel (which the Win7/8 32-bit kernels support).  Considering 90%+ of their market probably will have Windows 7+, easy enough to make the program have the ability to do 36-bit memory.  Not that this has anything to do with either mod.

I generally do exactly like Lavo suggests and disable anything I'm not actively going to use.  I do not, however, modify the file, I do use the ingame mods management since it always works for me, and allows me to change what factions are active at the time of playing.  I also have paging active and haven't (yet) needed to consider enabling LAA and have had no issues in vanilla, SoaGE, or Requiem.

I've never encountered the memory issue except in Mods. The reason it's probably not using all your memory is because it's pretty hard to trigger it otherwise.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

January 01, 2013, 09:24:08 PMReply #85

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 01, 2013, 09:24:08 PM »
I had memory issues with vanilla SoaSE:R until I enabled a paging file on the drive it was sitting on; didn't even realize that drive lacked a paging file.

January 01, 2013, 09:36:09 PMReply #86

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 01, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »
Yeah, windows by default uses paging files...
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

January 01, 2013, 09:51:48 PMReply #87

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 01, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »
Indeed

January 02, 2013, 12:48:36 PMReply #88

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 02, 2013, 12:48:36 PM »
Posted up a new full version of SoGE today that features properly binned meshes, which has resulted in decreasing SoGE's RAM footprint, decreasing load times, and decreasing the amount of space it takes up (1.9 GB vs 2.34 GB), versus past SoaSE:R versions.

January 02, 2013, 01:59:53 PMReply #89

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 02, 2013, 01:59:53 PM »
Very nice of you.

January 02, 2013, 02:24:34 PMReply #90

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: January 02, 2013, 02:24:34 PM »
Yeah, I've always intended to do the same with Ascendancy. No reason not to, really. It might piss off some people who like to tinker with their versions but that's a tiny proportion of the audience, and it's a huge space and resource saver.

Even just looking through what we have when it's unpacked, Ascendancy is tiny next to the base Sins stuff. Using TGA for as many texture files as they do is entirely unnecessary as long as you keep the PSD source for the index GUI file type stuff. And I was looking through some mesh filesizes and vertice counts yesterday when the Golan III counts concerned me a bit, then I realised it was still smaller filesize and had a lower vert count than most meshes in base Sins while still being our largest file by 0.3 megs.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 02, 2013, 04:04:42 PMReply #91

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 02, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »
I'd stopped doing it for awhile mainly due to one Entrenchment version experiencing weird crashes due to my binning the files. Though, when doing the latest version, I realized the reason why; the combination of ANSI encoded files and a non-English system locale (aka. for non-unicode files) likely resulted in wonky binned files. In all truth, there isn't much need to bin the entity files, due to their tiny size; it's the meshes, and possibly particles, that have concrete savings.

January 02, 2013, 04:15:37 PMReply #92

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 02, 2013, 04:15:37 PM »
Posted up a new full version of SoGE today that features properly binned meshes, which has resulted in decreasing SoGE's RAM footprint, decreasing load times, and decreasing the amount of space it takes up (1.9 GB vs 2.34 GB), versus past SoaSE:R versions.

You would on a day I may not be able to be home to download it due to my new position at work...

Ok, was able to get home for a little bit and download before heading back out.  Is the invulnerable supercap foundry patch still compatible with this new version?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2013, 08:13:54 PM by tlmiller »

January 20, 2013, 09:33:22 PMReply #93

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 20, 2013, 09:33:22 PM »
Finally got to try v1003...horribly broken.  Can't build capitol ships as the Empire since it requires "Basic Military Academy" lvl 1, and there is no research for that.  This is on a full delete of the mod and reinstall to make sure there were no issues, downloaded from a moddb mirror, not the one you say causes corrupted downloads.

January 20, 2013, 09:41:54 PMReply #94

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 20, 2013, 09:41:54 PM »
Finally got to try v1003...horribly broken.  Can't build capitol ships as the Empire since it requires "Basic Military Academy" lvl 1, and there is no research for that.  This is on a full delete of the mod and reinstall to make sure there were no issues, downloaded from a moddb mirror, not the one you say causes corrupted downloads.

I'm not sure how that would happen.  I must just be lucky since I've installed 1003 on two computers and both worked fine the first try.  Since cap ship limits are at 999 I just make my fleet size bigger to build more caps but since you've played older versions you know that already.

Is is just me, or is it harder to find stable mods for Sins than it was for EAW?
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

January 20, 2013, 10:18:14 PMReply #95

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 20, 2013, 10:18:14 PM »
Because the base game is inherently less stable.  EAW, while it has quite a few issues, is more stable when using a crap-ton of memory than the SosSE engine.  Never realized when I bought Rebellion how old the SoaSE engine was.

As far as caps, yes, the limit is 999, but I can't research to increase my current fleet capacity since the 2nd tech to raise it requires a research that is no longer in the mod.

January 20, 2013, 10:55:30 PMReply #96

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 20, 2013, 10:55:30 PM »
Because the base game is inherently less stable.  EAW, while it has quite a few issues, is more stable when using a crap-ton of memory than the SosSE engine.  Never realized when I bought Rebellion how old the SoaSE engine was.

As far as caps, yes, the limit is 999, but I can't research to increase my current fleet capacity since the 2nd tech to raise it requires a research that is no longer in the mod.

Agreed.  The engine should have been updated since this game has been re-released multiple times and the original is quite old.  It sucks to have a fine PC but still can't run this game without explicitly allowing it to use more ram and whatnot.  At least it's just a one-time setup and you're done.

In fact, though I only bought Rebellion, I fail to see what changes between releases allowed Sins to call itself a whole new game every time and not just an expansion.  Maybe it was the lure of charging full price.

January 20, 2013, 11:00:37 PMReply #97

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 20, 2013, 11:00:37 PM »
Rebellion is called an expansion though, just a standalone one.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

January 20, 2013, 11:20:45 PMReply #98

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 20, 2013, 11:20:45 PM »
Yeah, didn't realize that until after I had bought it that it was still the original engine with just some prettied up models and new features, but no major changes.

January 21, 2013, 06:16:38 PMReply #99

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 21, 2013, 06:16:38 PM »
Are you certain you aren't confusing capital ship crews research with supply research? Every single faction uses the exact same capital ship crews and supply research files; if it isn't broken with all factions, then you must be confused or something.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!