Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Steam Multiplayer?  (Read 7477 times)

August 01, 2012, 02:27:44 PM

Offline AdamBoy

• Enlisted
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Steam Multiplayer?
« on: August 01, 2012, 02:27:44 PM »
My friend has recently bought EAW and FOC on Steam, where I own the retail DVD version. It does not allow us to connect in multiplayer due to different versions,  from a quick search around it seems the Steam version has a 'later' version number that appears to be simply a typo and a patch of the same version number does not appear to exist for the retail version yet they both do the same thing.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has found a workaround or fix for this problem that doesn't mean one of us having to buy the game again?

August 05, 2012, 03:39:23 PMReply #1

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Multiplayer?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
The mismatch was supposed to be fixed when the retail-version uses the updated FoC RAM patch, but i've not seen any confirmation that this is actually the case.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

February 13, 2013, 04:58:41 PMReply #2

Offline Greatsaga

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 04:58:41 PM »
The mismatch was supposed to be fixed when the retail-version uses the updated FoC RAM patch, but i've not seen any confirmation that this is actually the case.

I can confirm that it works.  Though, it would seem that due to some unknown reasons that it will most likely not work unless you install the patch on a freshly installed copy of the game.  And, I have a friend that told me it would seem that mods break it, though he was using Republic at War, which installs patches to the game itself (apparently, that is what he told me, idk) but me and some other friends are in the process of trying out Imperial Civil War in mulitplayer - me and another are on Steam, the other is on Retail.  Will get back to you guys on whether or not Imperial Civil War breaks the compatibility.

April 08, 2013, 04:05:45 PMReply #3

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
I can confirm that it works.  Though, it would seem that due to some unknown reasons that it will most likely not work unless you install the patch on a freshly installed copy of the game.  And, I have a friend that told me it would seem that mods break it, though he was using Republic at War, which installs patches to the game itself (apparently, that is what he told me, idk) but me and some other friends are in the process of trying out Imperial Civil War in mulitplayer - me and another are on Steam, the other is on Retail.  Will get back to you guys on whether or not Imperial Civil War breaks the compatibility.

What ended up breaking it for me and a few other friends is other Mods. A lot of the time people will have a mod that installs something in the base Data folder that ends up borking everything.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

May 12, 2013, 05:07:00 PMReply #4

Offline Sith of Steel

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 05:07:00 PM »
I have not tested it yet, but I am told this program helps eliminate issues that prevent Steam and disc EaW users from connecting in multiplayer:

FoC game cleaner

May 18, 2014, 02:37:11 PMReply #5

mitchb6

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2014, 02:37:11 PM »
I have the retail version and my friends have the steam version and can play multiplayer on the vanilla version fine but when we try to play mods together i cant play with them and get a version mismatch message! Is there a fix for this?

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!