Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: George Lucas Promises: No More Star Wars  (Read 4067 times)

January 18, 2012, 06:06:21 PM

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
George Lucas Promises: No More Star Wars
« on: January 18, 2012, 06:06:21 PM »
Link, Link2

In an extensive interview with the New York Times to mark the arrival in US cinemas of second world war drama Red Tails, his long-gestating passion project, Lucas promised to make no new Star Wars films, citing negative reaction from fans of the series to his recent efforts.
The 67-year-old film-maker refused to apologise for making changes to his original Star Wars films through the addition of computer-generated imagery which many fans of the movies felt jarred with the more naturalistic look of the trilogy.

"On the internet, all those same guys that are complaining I made a change are completely changing the movie. I'm saying: 'Fine. But my movie, with my name on it, that says I did it, needs to be the way I want it.'"

"Why would I make any more," Lucas says, "when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

So. Is he really done? Or will there be a couple of last tweaks in the 3D versions of the films being released over the next few years?  Will he do a final Indiana Jones film, and how does this announcement affect the long rumoured Star Wars live action TV series?
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

January 18, 2012, 07:35:31 PMReply #1

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: George Lucas Promises: No More Star Wars
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 07:35:31 PM »
Well knowing George, he'll probably not stop completely. He'll always have something new that he wants to do with Star Wars. I both kind of sympathize and am critical of him in this. He has had a very hands off relationship with the SWEU and fans are always wanting more of a good thing which Star Wars is. The problem is that eventually you end up repeating yourself or creating something that just can't compare to the originals. I liked the prequels but a lot of people were very harsh(overly so in my opinion) that they were "not the same" as the old ones. This can't be helped, the originals are LEGENDS, nothing will equal them because people will always judge whatever is new by those LEGENDS, so almost always the new stuff won't measure up in their expectations. George is trying to give people what they want and still do what he wants and make money. I honestly think he's out of ideas though and is trapped in the legacy of something he never expected to become this huge. I mean I even feel that after the yuuzhan vong that should have been it. I mean God look at all that galaxy has been through, I actually feel sorry for most of the characters! The legacy series is just a repeat of the prequels, old republic is a repeat, let's face it. It's time to do like Seinfeld did and say we're ahead but we've honestly done everything, it's time to leave the stage. George has my sympathy in that he's kind of trapped in this, I'm a bit critical of him in the respect he is doing nothing to improve the situation and basically let things run wild that led to this. I'd like to see some of the EU done in a show, the Thrawn Trilogy, Wraith and Rogue Squadron adventures, and the like.(The Yuuzhan Vong War is such a dark one that I don't think anyone short of HBO would touch it and how could you do something on that epic scale?) Basically I don't buy that George is done with Star Wars no more than Han and Lando are done at Sabbac, some things you just can't give up you know?
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

January 23, 2012, 10:58:32 AMReply #2

Offline Kratas

• Chat Members
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +19/-38
  • "If my face looked like a squid, I'd be angry, too
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2012, 10:58:32 AM »
Thanks to him I'm having to hunt down the star wars films on dvd minus the ridiculous edits,not an easy task.

My VHS broke about a year ago so my videos are useless now.

February 01, 2012, 02:01:20 PMReply #3

Offline fFoxfire

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 02:01:20 PM »
Kinda old news but Lucas himself went on the Daily Show and pretty much talked about how he was mainly focused on getting "Red Tails" out, and to hear that even thought this was Lucas were talking about the man who made Star Wars, and lets not forget Indy Jones as well, couldn't get any support from any distributors because the movie is all about and based on a ALL black squadron of WW2 Pilots and how if your not black your self no one in the industry would dare even to promote this movie slowly on BS money issues and race.  Despite the fact that a lot of WW2 movies do generate good source of revenue, its just shocking that even great movie makers of all time, in this day and age still had to fight, and not just the stupid "Online Pirates" but just to get this movie out.

Anyway kinda got off topic in the interview Lucas him self said that "this is episode 7" and later on in he was asked if there is a possibility of Episode 7 his reply "If This had came out [Red Tails] when I intended to have have it released then there was a possibility"

I still tend to think if there is going to be an episode 7 It probably wont be with Lucas as the main man behind it, also where does episode 7 begin, just look @ the star wars timeline and how many stories there are. Eventually I dont think it would ever end, well for me Legacy Era but still you get the idea

February 26, 2012, 09:41:20 PMReply #4

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
Well knowing George, he'll probably not stop completely. He'll always have something new that he wants to do with Star Wars. I both kind of sympathize and am critical of him in this. He has had a very hands off relationship with the SWEU and fans are always wanting more of a good thing which Star Wars is. The problem is that eventually you end up repeating yourself or creating something that just can't compare to the originals. I liked the prequels but a lot of people were very harsh(overly so in my opinion) that they were "not the same" as the old ones. This can't be helped, the originals are LEGENDS, nothing will equal them because people will always judge whatever is new by those LEGENDS, so almost always the new stuff won't measure up in their expectations. George is trying to give people what they want and still do what he wants and make money. I honestly think he's out of ideas though and is trapped in the legacy of something he never expected to become this huge. I mean I even feel that after the yuuzhan vong that should have been it. I mean God look at all that galaxy has been through, I actually feel sorry for most of the characters! The legacy series is just a repeat of the prequels, old republic is a repeat, let's face it. It's time to do like Seinfeld did and say we're ahead but we've honestly done everything, it's time to leave the stage. George has my sympathy in that he's kind of trapped in this, I'm a bit critical of him in the respect he is doing nothing to improve the situation and basically let things run wild that led to this. I'd like to see some of the EU done in a show, the Thrawn Trilogy, Wraith and Rogue Squadron adventures, and the like.(The Yuuzhan Vong War is such a dark one that I don't think anyone short of HBO would touch it and how could you do something on that epic scale?) Basically I don't buy that George is done with Star Wars no more than Han and Lando are done at Sabbac, some things you just can't give up you know?

This is all pretty true. At this point there's too much re-hashing. I don't care about anything past Legacy and I don't really like legacy much anyway. What I think is funny is that quote I highlighted... because iirc Wedge actually says something a lot like that in the X-wing series x)

May 02, 2012, 08:55:59 PMReply #5

Offline Thrashia

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 08:55:59 PM »
I'd be happy with a well animated movie trilogy based on the Thrawn trilogy. No need for having the older actors reassemble.
"You may win the occasional battle against us, Vorrik, but the Empire will always strike back." - Gilad Pellaeon

C'baoth: "You doubt the power of the Force, Grand Admiral Thrawn?"
Thrawn: "Not at all. I merely present the problems you and the Force will have to solve if you continue with this course of action."

May 02, 2012, 09:00:51 PMReply #6

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 09:00:51 PM »
I'd be happy with a single movie made without one of the actors being cast making me want to put a lightsaber up to my head and turn it on and off rapidly to labotomize myself rather than watching their excuse for acting.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 13, 2012, 08:51:53 PMReply #7

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 08:51:53 PM »
So far, I have not seen a single so-called "sacreligious" alterations to Star Wars that has been bad. True, they didn't really have to have Greedo shoot first, but who really cares!! The movies are Lucas' films, not ours, so he can do whatever he wants to the movies, as long as he doesn't make Palpatine the good guy =D.

However, I somewhat hope that he does not make any more Star Wars, unless it is based on a preexisting book (like the Thrawn Trilogy ;D). This is because of the fact that while he supports the EU, which is great, he has the odd idea that he can simply step on its toes and change what fans have accepted to be real when he feels like it. I mean, if he wanted to do that, why allow the books to even become canon??!
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 13, 2012, 09:05:27 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 09:05:27 PM »
I'd be happy with a single movie made without one of the actors being cast making me want to put a lightsaber up to my head and turn it on and off rapidly to labotomize myself rather than watching their excuse for acting.

I sense a subtle hint in Hayden Christian's direction and I agree with it.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!