Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Dev Diary #11: Admiralty & Migration  (Read 6750 times)

July 17, 2014, 07:23:55 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Dev Diary #11: Admiralty & Migration
« on: July 17, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
...Migration...

There are two primary variables related to planet population: max population, and population growth rate. In Sins, this was all very standardized and not especially interactive. Each planet was sort of left to its own devices and either ended up with a high population or didn't, depending on tech. In Ascendancy, we're looking to give a bit more depth to planetary population. Each planet type has a different value for these levels. Some types, including the Ecumenopolis (ie Coruscant) and Temperate (ie Corellia) types have both high max population caps and growth rates. Others like Volcanic and Ice have both low caps and low growth rates. However, there are several types which have the capacity to support large populations, but require assistance to get there quickly, most prominently the Arboreal and Desert planets.

In order to promote more interactivity here, we have given your dropships (The Sentinel, Gallofree and Consen) a set of new abilities to help transfer your populations as you see fit. The first ability (Migration: Load) is cast on the planet you want to take the migrants from, which increases your dropships' supply. The second ability (Migration: Unload) then drops this population off on the destination planet. Each dropship starts being able to use the Unload ability once after being constructed before having to load up again. We're also toying with the idea of a new logistic structure which increases population capacity or growth rate on the planets, but that's less fleshed out.

...Fleet Commanders...

Once of the most common questions we're asked is if we're going to include heroes in the mod, and the answer to that is technically no, but also sort of yes. In the Flagship victory mode, your flagship will be a prominent ship from that faction; Ackbar in Home One, Thrawn in Chimaera, Kres'ten'tarthi in Battlehammer, Ivpikkis in the Shriwirr (or Keermak in the Errinung'ka, we haven't decided), Tenenial Djo in the Star Home, and Tsa- *Muffled noises.*

While regular heroes are possible to do in other game modes, we don't quite want to go that direction in Ascendancy. We have, however, added new types of supportive capital ships: fleet commander flagships. In combat, these flagships are essentially identical to their non-flagship varieties, though with slightly better defenses in order to ensure they don't always end up being focused too soon. Their main role is to be buff carriers. Each one has a set of four abilities, which, while varying slightly by faction, fall within similar categories and scale very well with levels: (numbers aren't real, just to give an idea)

Assault Command: Increases damage output of frigates and capital ships by 2/4/8/16%
Defense Command: Increases damage output of defensive structures by 2/4/8/16%
Fighter Command: Increases damage output of fighters by 2/4/8/16%
Supreme Commander/Grand Admiral: Requires level 8, effects vary by faction.

You cannot have two Commanders using Assault Command at the same time on the same fleet, and the flagship variants take roughly 1.5-2x as much supply as their regular versions, so while it's good to build a few to lead your fleets, they are certainly not meant to be mass-produced. Currently each faction gets three versions, based on three of their primary capital ships with one or two exceptions. The goal of this is to reward players for training their admirals with raids and different engagements, and to encourage maximizing your DPS by maintaining more than one main fleet in scenarios where that's feasible.

Once again, keep in mind everything we talk about in these dev diaries isn't set in stone and is still always being altered. If you have a suggestion or critique about this mechanic, feel free to leave a comment or post it in the Migration Discussion topic on our forums. We also have a topic for discussing fleet commanders. This is all still in alpha stage so there's a lot of ideation and testing going on on things that may ultimately not be kept if they're determined to not work, so feel free to suggest any changes or additions.

Follow Ascendancy
Forums - Facebook - Steam Group - Youtube - Mod DB
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 07:26:45 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 17, 2014, 07:56:51 PMReply #1

Offline Mat8876

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-12
  • Disney stop closing the website down, I mean it.
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Diary #11: Admiralty & Migration
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 07:56:51 PM »
I like that idea for transports where you have to pick population up then drop them off rather than having an unlimited amount of people stationed on a tiny ship.
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\\\"Challenge and diversity make us strong. Too much protection can prevent us from learning, from reaching our potential. We can learn from others, but we must also learn from our own experiences. . . and our own mistakes.\\\" Luke Skywalker

\\\"An elegant weapon for a more civilized time, eh? Well, guess what? Times have changed!\\\" RC-01/138

July 17, 2014, 08:22:44 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 08:22:44 PM »
Just to clarify, this isn't colonization costing resources; it's being able to transfer population after you already have the planet. I doubt we're going to make the landing forces (colonization) require this, since that's more an impediment than anything especially when people already vastly prefer using capital ships for colonization over regular dropships. The goal with these changes is to add depth to economic systems as opposed to just putting in more hoops to jump through.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 17, 2014, 08:50:18 PMReply #3

Offline AUS_Doug

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • Sword Of The Jedi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 08:50:18 PM »
Tsa- *Muffled noises.*

Do we take that as a 'Vong confirmation'?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything else it could be apart from Tsavong Lah.

And I really like the sounds of this migration stuff, as well as the role of the fleet commander ships.
The woman ignited her lightsaber, then came leaping over the platform?s
safety rail, brown hair flying and violet blade whirling,
and Vestara knew the battle was on.
Jaina Solo, Sword of the Jedi, had just arrived.

July 17, 2014, 09:12:36 PMReply #4

Offline slevered

• Mod Team Member
  • Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 09:12:36 PM »
You never know. We may be talking about the Tsaiwinokka Hoyakut or Tsabin Dril, or maybe even the Tsaelke. Just wait and see.
"Am I in your way Slevered?" - Kalo

July 17, 2014, 09:52:11 PMReply #5

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:52:11 PM »
Sounds kinda cool with the population thing.  Something I'd definitely look forward to with the desert planets and their insanely low growth rate.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 18, 2014, 07:27:12 PMReply #6

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 07:27:12 PM »
Always impressive
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

July 20, 2014, 08:30:10 PMReply #7

Offline Waffle Wagon

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2014, 08:30:10 PM »
Fascinatin' stuff. I like the added depth there, looks like we'll have to work a bit to make the less hospitable planets productive.

January 08, 2017, 01:06:15 PMReply #8

Offline Papa Palps

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
...Migration...

There are two primary variables related to planet population: max population, and population growth rate. In Sins, this was all very standardized and not especially interactive. Each planet was sort of left to its own devices and either ended up with a high population or didn't, depending on tech. In Ascendancy, we're looking to give a bit more depth to planetary population. Each planet type has a different value for these levels. Some types, including the Ecumenopolis (ie Coruscant) and Temperate (ie Corellia) types have both high max population caps and growth rates. Others like Volcanic and Ice have both low caps and low growth rates. However, there are several types which have the capacity to support large populations, but require assistance to get there quickly, most prominently the Arboreal and Desert planets.

In order to promote more interactivity here, we have given your dropships (The Sentinel, Gallofree and Consen) a set of new abilities to help transfer your populations as you see fit. The first ability (Migration: Load) is cast on the planet you want to take the migrants from, which increases your dropships' supply. The second ability (Migration: Unload) then drops this population off on the destination planet. Each dropship starts being able to use the Unload ability once after being constructed before having to load up again. We're also toying with the idea of a new logistic structure which increases population capacity or growth rate on the planets, but that's less fleshed out.

I can see the migration ability being abused by using fleet tenders ...

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!