Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Migration Discussion  (Read 4514 times)

July 17, 2014, 05:43:29 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Migration Discussion
« on: July 17, 2014, 05:43:29 AM »
Discuss any and all things related to the Migration mechanic described in the 11th Dev Diary here, including suggestions, feedback, complaints, or whatever else.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 18, 2014, 01:57:28 AMReply #1

Offline Chaoslord_ZX

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Migration Discussion
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:57:28 AM »
My only concern for what is looking to be a very unique and interesting mechanic is what stops a player from building several of these ships, (which as I understand it start off full of potential population to "migrate" with) and then dropping them all off on a newly colonized planet to immediately max out it's population and thus rendering the time it takes for the planet to truly become useful to next to nothing? It doesn't really seem to be terribly game breaking based off of what I know, but it does seem like it could be used to essentially generate large planetary populations ridiculously fast with the only cost  being the construction of these vessels.

July 18, 2014, 10:25:03 AMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 10:25:03 AM »
Ideally the cost of continuously rebuilding a transport plus the construction time/scuttle time would be enough to make that less than optimal, though it's certainly something we'll be looking out for. If that turns out to be an issue we'll find a way around it.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

July 22, 2014, 05:10:45 PMReply #3

Offline gerfand

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 05:10:45 PM »
For Migration you said:
-We're also toying with the idea of a new logistic structure which increases population capacity or growth rate on the planets, but that's less fleshed out.

so a good unit would be the Skyhook.
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skyhook

July 22, 2014, 05:35:43 PMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
If we do it we'll be using one of the Golan Space Colonies. Skyhooks were more like private yachts.

November 22, 2014, 09:44:05 AMReply #5

Offline Meo

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 09:44:05 AM »
Hi there,

are there techs which would affect the starting population ? or and an upgraded ship like a small/medium/large transport?

Meo

November 23, 2014, 12:57:39 AMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 12:57:39 AM »
No, there can't be techs like that. It would have to be tied to the colonize abilities.

As for different ships, we'd rather save ship slots for different roles. Increased migration stats are handled through research, since it would be kind of a waste to have 3 different ships whose sole purpose is to transfer population. I'd like to look into recoding the ability with different use logic eventually, so we can potentially give the ability to other ships (ie Acclamators)

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!