Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Fall of the Republic Announcement and FAQ  (Read 9890 times)

May 09, 2017, 10:36:50 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Fall of the Republic Announcement and FAQ
« on: May 09, 2017, 10:36:50 PM »
From the creators of Imperial Civil War and Ascendancy comes Thrawn's Revenge III: Fall of the Republic, covering events in the twilight years of the Galactic Republic and the Clone Wars. For millennia, the Galactic Republic has been a source of peace and order for the galaxy. More recently, corruption has begin to spread through its institutions. Across the galaxy, beings become disillusioned with the status quo and rise to challenge the Republic...

Follow Fall of the Republic on ModDB - Thrawn's Revenge Discussion Forums

A Republic in Decline

"I am quite convinced that ten thousand more systems will rally to our cause, with your support, gentlemen."
-Count Dooku, aka Darth Tyranus

Hello everyone! On April 1st, we released a rough teaser trailer for Fall of the Republic, which for some reason people thought was fake. Then, a few weeks ago, we confirmed it had resumed development in our Thrawn's Revenge historical timeline, the first part of our celebration of 11 years as a mod team. We were going to hold off on doing a proper announcement for a little while, but there's been some common questions we wanted to take a moment to address, as well as break down the way the mod will work.

Fall of the Republic is a prequel-era mod in which we want to recreate the galactic situation in Star Wars in the last years of the Republic. We aim to bring the feel of our post-Endor mod, Imperial Civil War, into this time period, adapting that model to one suitable for the era. In the same way that Imperial Civil War tries to shine a light on some of the mid-level players and events like the Yevetha, Hapans and Warlord factions on the galactic stage of the post-Endor period, we hope to explore some of the timeline beyond just the Clone Wars themselves. While the Separatist Crisis and the Confederacy of Independent Systems became the standout conflict, the decades leading up to the declaration of the Galactic Empire saw significant military buildup across various factions, where certain events swinging a different way could have brought different challenges to the Judicial Forces Republic in the early parts of this period, with a constant debate about the virtues of re-militarization within the Republic. People can speculate on what that means, but for now, we'll leave it at that. Our history of developing Imperial Civil War and Ascendancy will be informing how we structure the mod, release-wise. In order to better focus development on specific parts of the mod, ensuring people get regular, more polished releases and giving us a more solid basis to work off of, instead of trying to tackle everything at once, we will be starting a bit more simply with the Republic and CIS, and working up to our broader goals.

Into a New Era

"They will have the numbers. We will have the Force."
- Jedi Master Saesee Tinn, Fifth Battle of Qotile

One of the more prominent changes in Imperial Civil War versus the base game is a tech system primarily based on "eras" (being Imperial regimes in ICW) as opposed to a directly tiered, traditional tech system where you start with, for example, corvettes and work your way up to larger Star Destroyers. This is a model we will be translating into Fall of the Republic. The first release will start covering the major conflict of the time period, being the Clone Wars, broken into three eras; the first, second and third years of the war. The playable factions in version 0.5 will be, of course the Galactic Republic and Confederacy of Independent Systems. Considering the factions themselves did go through some standard technological advancement and research during this period, there will be elements of that as well, but it will be based on in-universe factors, instead of just ship A is stronger, so it's era 3. Era progression will be based on a mix of events and the passage of time, with different research options and other events possible based on the era in which you are playing.

We will be doing a faction profile for the CIS and Galactic Republic at some point in the future, covering their unit and hero rosters for v0.5. But for now, we want to cover some of the more common questions we've been asked.

Will this interfere with Imperial Civil War 2.2? When will Fall of the Republic be available?

Fall of the Republic will have absolutely no impact on the release of Imperial Civil War 2.2. Our goal is to build FotR off of  Imperial Civil War 2.2 as a starting base, so dedicated work will not be started on Fall of the Republic until Imperial Civil War is in testing, which is also when you'll start seeing screenshots and video of the first Fall of the Republic release. Until then, the only work we'll be doing is on assets also needed for ICW (ie, the new Providence art assets). As mentioned above, we're keeping our plans for that first release less ambitious; we'll be doing the basic framework for mod and the two main factions, which should not take too long to get out after 2.2. With the mod tools Pox and I are working on, like the GC creator, a lot of the logistics for this become a lot simpler. If there are any talented 3D modelers or texture artists out there who would like to help speed this along, they can contact us at ThrawnsRevenge@gmail.com

Aren't there already Clone Wars mods for Empire at War?

Yes, and for a long time, this is why reviving FotR wasn't really on our radar. However (and this isn't criticism of the existing mods, simply a matter of taste) the more I started playing those mods, the more I was thinking about what our own version of that would look like. Yes, it still involves clones fighting droids and Venators fighting Lucrehulks, but there can be different ways to handle that. Some people may prefer the existing mods, some people may prefer our version, but ultimately we enjoy making mods, and we make what we want to play, so really it just means more options.

Does this mean no Stellaris ship packs?

I'd still like to release some of our TR stuff for Stellaris, but as it is, there's a decent selection of Star Wars ships available for those who want to play with them, so I'm less concerned about that for the moment.

What about the Clone Wars Cartoon?

While the mod will be based in the Legends expanded universe, there have been some questions as to how we'll handle the Clone Wars cartoon. While the more recent Clone Wars cartoon (the one with Ahsoka) is technically part of Legends, it did introduce some inconsistencies (in star Wars? No!). We won't be completely disregarding the cartoon, but in cases where there is a conflict, we'll usually go with the non-cartoon source. There are some places, like the Essential Guide to Warfare, that retconned some of these issues, drawing from the cartoon and other sources, and for us, Essential Guide to Warfare pretty much trumps anything else. Basing the mod in Legends allows us to use some of the characters who would become major Imperial and Rebel figures during the earlier days of their careers.

I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

May 09, 2017, 10:44:48 PMReply #1

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Re: Fall of the Republic Announcement and FAQ
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 10:44:48 PM »
Ohhh so FoTR was Fall of the Republic that's why people were talking about it so much. Can they see into the future because I had no idea this was happening.  ;)
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 09, 2017, 11:09:26 PMReply #2

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:09:26 PM »
So some elements of the clone wars tv show will be use and some will not.
so could we see Darth Maul's shadow Collective?
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 10, 2017, 01:09:32 AMReply #3

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 01:09:32 AM »
Hmm. So no Fractalsponge's original thrawn's Revenge. I am so totally disappointed, crushed, and broken beyond my dreams.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 10, 2017, 08:34:35 AMReply #4

Offline lordoflinks

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 08:34:35 AM »
I hope more of the cartoon will be used rather than less as it is the most comprehensive source we have on the Clone Wars; in addition Tarkin, at least, had no media portrayal in the clone wars outside of the cartoon (I suppose the Zomana Sekot Novel may fall in the timeline of the mod, as he appeared in that).
Frankly the only two areas I can think of where the cartoon contradicts with legends lore is all the weird clone wars stuff in the Thrawn Trilogy (The movies contradicted with this anyway) and the Dathomir Stuff which does contradict in a rather large manner.
The older cartoon (The 2d one) is useless I think as a source as it really only portrayed already known characters and minor battles. The only good part about, in my opinion, it was that it showed Palpatine being kidnapped.
All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

May 10, 2017, 09:21:11 AMReply #5

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-4
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
I hope more of the cartoon will be used rather than less as it is the most comprehensive source we have on the Clone Wars; in addition Tarkin, at least, had no media portrayal in the clone wars outside of the cartoon (I suppose the Zomana Sekot Novel may fall in the timeline of the mod, as he appeared in that).
Frankly the only two areas I can think of where the cartoon contradicts with legends lore is all the weird clone wars stuff in the Thrawn Trilogy (The movies contradicted with this anyway) and the Dathomir Stuff which does contradict in a rather large manner.
The older cartoon (The 2d one) is useless I think as a source as it really only portrayed already known characters and minor battles. The only good part about, in my opinion, it was that it showed Palpatine being kidnapped.

Well there's two things there. For one the single biggest contradiction the Clone Wars CGI had was turning the Mandalorians into PACIFISTS, making Phase 2 Clone Armor worse instead of better, and the fact that Luke found Maul's brain in a jar after his defeat on Theed, instead of you know, being an anti-Obiwan cyborg. And making ARC Troopers into non-genetically enhanced clones.

May 10, 2017, 09:56:56 AMReply #6

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2017, 09:56:56 AM »
well, i like it more how it was when the reboot was called, in my personal opinion
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

May 10, 2017, 06:23:36 PMReply #7

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
Can We get a other factions and gcs
with pirates
Maul's Shadow collective
the Hutts and more
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 10, 2017, 07:17:39 PMReply #8

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 07:17:39 PM »
I'd put my vote on having no Maul at all, unless he's a hero in a Naboo battle GC. He's one of the most overrated villains in Star Wars, there's no need to have him in a clone wars mod unless there's an episode one GC.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

May 10, 2017, 08:20:23 PMReply #9

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2017, 08:20:23 PM »
I'd put my vote on having no Maul at all, unless he's a hero in a Naboo battle GC. He's one of the most overrated villains in Star Wars, there's no need to have him in a clone wars mod unless there's an episode one GC.
He is not overrated He led a major army that was a good threat to the galaxy. the most overrated villain is KYLO FUCKING REN.
Maul is really good Mr. Puerto read his books they are good.
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 10, 2017, 08:34:23 PMReply #10

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2017, 08:34:23 PM »
I can't believe I'm doing this but I think I'll jump in in defense of Maul this time. He's not a great character and all, but it would feel right having him in a Clone Wars-era mod. But ask me 5 mins later and I might change my opinion, lol. Maybe the CW TV-series holds too much influence over me, and I know that it won't factor into FotR that much, and that's how it should be. I'm hoping that the 2003 animated non-CGI Clone Wars series would, though. Durge definitely has to be in FotR as an unkillable hero, with the base EaW hero mechanic used for him, until the CIS is eliminated in the GC.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

May 10, 2017, 09:00:21 PMReply #11

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2017, 09:00:21 PM »
Just because a character does cool things doesn't mean he's a good character. 

May 10, 2017, 09:05:38 PMReply #12

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »

Quoted for truth
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

May 10, 2017, 09:26:44 PMReply #13

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2017, 09:26:44 PM »
I can't believe I'm doing this but I think I'll jump in in defense of Maul this time. He's not a great character and all, but it would feel right having him in a Clone Wars-era mod. But ask me 5 mins later and I might change my opinion, lol. Maybe the CW TV-series holds too much influence over me, and I know that it won't factor into FotR that much, and that's how it should be. I'm hoping that the 2003 animated non-CGI Clone Wars series would, though. Durge definitely has to be in FotR as an unkillable hero, with the base EaW hero mechanic used for him, until the CIS is eliminated in the GC.
I agree so much with the stuff on Durge here.

May 10, 2017, 09:56:28 PMReply #14

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2017, 09:56:28 PM »
so you are saying that Vader, Boba Fett, and Bossk aren't cool characters

HERSEY!!!!!! BURN THE HERETICS!!!
;)
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

May 10, 2017, 11:22:26 PMReply #15

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2017, 11:22:26 PM »
Bossk isn't a cool character he's a background character. Vader and Boba are good character because they have a proper story and have actual depth (well Boba is debatable)

May 11, 2017, 04:11:22 AMReply #16

Offline lordoflinks

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2017, 04:11:22 AM »
If we are going to get more factions other than the CIS and the Republic Maul should be in so the Shadow Collective can be another faction.
All your words are but to say: you are a woman, and your part is in the house. But when the men have died in battle and honour, you have leave to be burned in the house, for the men will need it no more. But I am of the House of Eorl and not a serving-woman. I can ride and wield blade, and I do not fear either pain or death.

But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund's daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you, if you touch him.

My avatar is Romana from Doctor Who, one of my favorite characters in all of fiction

May 11, 2017, 08:33:09 AMReply #17

Offline Helix345

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2017, 08:33:09 AM »
if we're using late republic time period, and legends canon, isn't maul dead?

May 11, 2017, 08:47:47 AMReply #18

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2017, 08:47:47 AM »
well, hia brain should be in a jar on naboo...
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 11, 2017, 08:54:35 AMReply #19

Offline GreyStar

• Vice Admiral
  • The Rival Defender
    • View Profile
    • Steam Page
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2017, 08:54:35 AM »

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!