Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Galactic Conquest Scenario Editor  (Read 23359 times)

February 28, 2017, 06:57:40 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Galactic Conquest Scenario Editor
« on: February 28, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »
Hey all, been a while since we've done a news post. The demo is well on its way (the reason for the short delay is explained here), and then we'll be back to finishing our previews of the upcoming 2.2 content. I'm also about to start the Eriadu Authority preview playthrough on my channel after I finish up with the Pentastar Alignment, which should coincide with the release of the demo. But for now, I wanted to talk about a new mod tool.

One of the most tedious parts of modding Empire at War has always been creating the Galactic Conquest scenarios. Setting up all the planets, deciding on andmaking all the new traderoutes (especially in Thrawn's Revenge), putting in starting forces. This has always been a huge timesink for ourselves with twentyish scenarios in TR to maintain, and I'm sure many other mod teams as well. It's also something of a barrier to entry for players who just want to set up something custom. Pox and Corey (but mostly Pox) have decided to address this painful tedium by creating an Empire at War Galactic Conquest editor.  Here's a quick look at what we've got so far.

She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts.

Currently, we have it set up to load files from whatever mod you may want by plugging in that mod's XML folder to the program (eventually, we hope to do a more regular loading function), allow you to select whichever planets you want, load traderoutes from the mod based on what planets are currently selected, and create additional traderoutes, along with some basic parameters (scenario name, campaign set, etc).

It currently just exports the basic form of the GC (selected planets and selected traderoutes) as well as all the XML entries for your new created traderoutes, which alone saves hours and hours of development time (enough to shave months off of a potential release date). We're still working on adding in the other functionality necessary for creating a fully-functional GC scenario without requiring too much outside modding, and minimal modding knowledge to allow the general community to create whatever scenarios they like, in whichever mods they want, although some stuff like editing the game's text files for the name and description will still be required. Starting forces are next up on our hit list. Pox would also eventually like to include some story scripting support in the editor itself, along with various other functions. Once we have a more feature-complete version ready and tested, we'll be doing a first release for the program. The initial releases will likely require a bit more legwork outside the program, but should still be a huge help at least for other mod teams and let them focus on the more important content rather than the tedious bits of modding, and a good source of feedback for us to improve the program.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 28, 2017, 07:08:29 PMReply #1

Offline DarthRevansRevenge

• Admiral
  • Approval: +14/-3
  • Your empire is doomed. Revan has returned
    • View Profile
Re: Galactic Conquest Scenario Editor
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 07:08:29 PM »
so, this will make so GC making is much easier. thanks, because i'm hopeless right now when it comes to modding.
so this is IN the mod, but we will be able to post them elsewhere for the community?
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

February 28, 2017, 07:28:35 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 07:28:35 PM »
It's a standalone program that will be downloadable on its own, and it works with not just Thrawn's Revenge but any mod (or the base game if that's what you're into). A copy will almost certainly come with the mod as well. We will have a place for people to post theirs.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

February 28, 2017, 08:03:28 PMReply #3

Offline Octavian Krieger

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
This is awesome! I'm gonna be able to make all my dream campaigns happen.
"The New Order cannot fall, it will not fall."

February 28, 2017, 08:39:23 PMReply #4

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
Nice! Here comes all the GCs where the IR has over 700 SSDs. Joking aside I plan to have some fun with this, can't wait to have my hands on it.
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

February 28, 2017, 08:41:53 PMReply #5

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2017, 08:41:53 PM »
   * grins*
Corey next drink is on me
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

February 28, 2017, 08:53:31 PMReply #6

Offline StarBornMichaelh165

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-6
  • Long Live the United Species Republic.
    • View Profile
    • www.YouTube.com
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2017, 08:53:31 PM »
Wow I would like to try this out some time. And I know a few people (Andrew Hester and other YouTubers like him) that would all so love to try this out for Content for their Channel and some friends of my to use this for great Gaming night Thanks Corey.
Greetings my people and welcome to the United Species Republic. Come and join the Republic that is not Like any Republic you never know before come join today. Oh and check out my YouTube and my Fan Fiction Profile OK Everyone.
 [img] file:///C:/Users/Michael/Pictures/my%20photos/Conqueror_superlaser.jpg [img]

February 28, 2017, 10:47:15 PMReply #7

Offline hesterj

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »
Wow!!!  I'll give this a try

February 28, 2017, 11:05:46 PMReply #8

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2017, 11:05:46 PM »
this is, hands down, probably one of your best ideas ever
do you know what really makes me mad? that the NR didn't make as many different SSDs as the empire. they would have won much faster had they done so. it's just not fair. but, if their were more NR SSDs, they would be absolute SUPER-CARRIERS.

but, i'm a member of the PA at heart, and my wish here is to join the ranks of grand admirals... sorry, the elite imperial alignment

March 01, 2017, 04:59:36 AMReply #9

Offline Kad_Venku

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2017, 04:59:36 AM »
This looks like an awesome tool which will speed up GC creation a lot.
I don't know how far you are in the development process and how confident you are are about talking details, but I'll ask anyways:

• How are you handling loading files (aka planets)? Is the path being read from the GameObjectFiles.xml or is it handled statically?
  • Does the tool support planet placement as well, or does this still have to be done manually?
  • Are there any plans to open source the tool, so interested third-parties (me mostly) could contribute to it?

March 01, 2017, 05:58:57 AMReply #10

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2017, 05:58:57 AM »
How are you handling loading files (aka planets)? Is the path being read from the GameObjectFiles.xml or is it handled statically?
The Parser searched the XML files provided and loads all relevant objects into the proper categories (right now, that means factions, planets and traderoutes; in the future, when we get to starting forces, that'll also be how it tracks units and whatnot). We have our planet entries and traderoute entries spread across 3-4 separate files each, the builder doesn't care.

Does the tool support planet placement as well, or does this still have to be done manually?
After we're done with the GC creation itself, planet creation is one of the things we want to do.

Are there any plans to open source the tool, so interested third-parties (me mostly) could contribute to it?
Pox and I haven't discussed this yet.

March 01, 2017, 12:14:48 PMReply #11

Offline Kad_Venku

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
[...] the builder doesn't care.
After we're done with the GC creation itself, planet creation is one of the things we want to do.
So to sum it up, the parser is running through the mod's xml directory and reading all xml files, populating the editor with all appropriately tagged game objects. That and the future plans are great to hear.

Really looking forward to further updates on this.

March 01, 2017, 03:19:19 PMReply #12

Offline Darth Red

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 03:19:19 PM »
You guy... rock!

Fantastic update!

March 01, 2017, 08:33:14 PMReply #13

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:14 PM »
Probably my first GC once it's fully developed will be a gc where each  faction starts with a strong outlying base with paths leading into a central war zone around the core. Will be mayhem  with as many factions as possible
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 08:54:18 PM by Ordinarygamer96 »

March 07, 2017, 10:48:20 AMReply #14

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 10:48:20 AM »
could you sticky this and just edit it whenever more stuff for the editor is ready, instead of making a new thread

March 08, 2017, 11:44:09 AMReply #15

Offline Kor Heskon

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2017, 11:44:09 AM »
this is awesome, i can't wait!

March 13, 2017, 09:06:12 PMReply #16

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2017, 09:06:12 PM »
i think the first one i'm going to do is an everything in Era 2 campaign, where it is PA vs. Zsinj vs. Maldrood(already with Kosh for balance) vs. IR(with thrawn, outer territory + cuitric hegemony) vs. NR(starts with Hapes but never gets IR/star destroyers.) should be lots of fun

the next one will be a scripted deep core GC where Delvardus, Teradoc, Harrsk, and 2-3 minors face off. I'll severely hamper everyone though. more later
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 09:14:39 PM by DarthRevansRevenge »

March 28, 2017, 07:05:08 PMReply #17

Offline Director Krennic

• Brevet Admiral
  • I Made The Death Star!!! Also Tarkin Sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2017, 07:05:08 PM »
Thank you Corey For sharing this with us! I loved your map but would like to make my own to Challenge me.
The power that we are dealing with here; is immeasurable

March 30, 2017, 09:34:45 AMReply #18

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2017, 09:34:45 AM »
that will be the best part about this

June 07, 2018, 02:28:38 AMReply #19

Deep Thought

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 02:28:38 AM »
So, just checking, but is this Galactic Conquest Scenario Editor going to still be a thing?

I love what you've done with this, and you've worked so hard. I actually bumped into this while trying to do some research for a star wars fan-fic writing forum I joined, but now with the new movies and things, it seems all fan made projects hit a wall. I'd hate for that to happen here, especially given how truly abysmal the last jedi movie was (frankly I like what you folks have made here better).

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!