Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Schism Events, Research & Galactic Conquest Breakdown - Era Three  (Read 42429 times)

November 07, 2016, 04:46:47 PM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
We've talked a fair bit about having a more story-based focus in our campaigns, as well as trying to fill in some of the gaps left by the era system, and era three is going to be one of the most changed in the mod. Before anyone asks, no this does not mean we're making people go through both Eclipse I and Eclipse II, simply because that would get kind of redundant. The jump between Era III and IV left out a fairly important period with the Crimson Empire and parts of the Imperial Mutiny, which made Era IV unclear as to what exactly was being reunified. Much like Era I was split into Sate Pestage and Isard, Era 3 is now going to be split between these two fairly distinct periods, with Operation Shadow Hand and Crimson Empire. There will also be some changes to the jump between Era II and III.

Death clones are underway!

Era Updates

We've shown off the Regicide feature before, where you can jump between eras manually without having to go on a suicide run with your leader, but the basic nature of the eras is changing a bit as well. For the most part, the idea is still if your leader is defeated, you move on to another era, but some eras were always more attractive than others, and from both a story and gameplay perspective will require a bit of a different way through. Here's a new summary of what the eras consist of and how you progress. This may all seem like gibberish to a lot of people right now, however it will all be clearly and helpfully explained in-game, so you should never feel confused as to what's happening or your options and objectives.

Era I: This era has been moved from a solo-Isard focus into being represented by Sate Pestage and Ysanne Isard sequentially. In order to proceed from Sate's portion to Isard's portion, the Empire will either have to lose Coruscant, lose Pestage, or pay to extract Lusankya up from of Coruscant.

Era II: We've always limited Era II to Thrawn, however while he was still touring around and therefore makes sense to have during the period in which the New Republic was canonically hunting for Zsinj, there was a significant gap between the end of the Thrawn Campaign and the start of Shadow Hand. Losing Thrawn will no longer directly end the era. The first option is that his defeat will start a countdown leading to the emergence of Palpatine when playing against the AI, however as the player in order to proceed to Era III you'll need to actively join Palpatine, which will be fairly expensive and time-consuming. You can do this entirely without losing Thrawn, however there will be a bit of a penalty possible in the form of a schism event for losing Thrawn without having joined your forces with Palpatine.

Era III: What used to just be Shadow Hand is now both Crimson Empire and Shadow Hand. This whole era will be explained in this news post, so basically for now I'll just say you kill Palpatine, bad things happen for the Empire, then you kill Jax.

Era IV & V: As far as the direct era-change related process goes for these guys, they essentially work the same as always; Daala gets defeated, resigns and hands the reigns over to Pellaeon. There will be a lot stuff within their eras, but not a huge change to the link between them.

Tech Research: Instead of just getting new ship options automatically as you progress, there will typically be some research associated with the creation of these new classes for the Remnant (rarely), New Republic (primarily them) and Empire of the Hand. We can't do it with the Warlords unfortunately, as there's some story scripting that won't work with these groups because of engine limitations. Typically these research options will become available when the ships started to be developed, whereas the pure-era based approach was based on when the ships started active duty. This means, for example, the Viscount, with proper investment, could become available as early as the second half of Era III instead of the end of Era V, as it was developed in response to the effects of Shadow Hand's massive dreadnaught slugfests.

Schism Events & Emergent Factions
The Imperial groups during the mod's period by virtue of their sheer number demonstrate just how hard it is to keep an Empire together in a post-Endor galaxy, and schism events are one of the ways that is represented. This refers to a point when one faction splits into more factions, whether altogether or in small parts. It will also be conditional on the faction having certain territory at a certain time, though there are certain points where control will switch to an emergent faction regardless of who controls it. This list isn't necessarily exhaustive, but here's some of the bigger points when this can happen:

Era I-V: Warlord Zsinj dying while his Empire controls the Corporate Sector (Etti IV and surrounding territory) will cause the Corporate Sector to break off of his Empire and become independent.
Era I: Progressing to Isard from Pestage will cause Zero Command to split off from the Empire at Kalist VI and Abregado-Rae, if these planets are controlled.
Era II: Losing Thrawn without already having joined Pellaeon will cause the Ciutric Hegemony and Corellian Sector to split off from the Empire.
Era II: (Hunt for Zsinj GC only) - killing Zsinj will cause the alliance of the New Republic and Imperial Remnant to break off, giving the Empire Kuat and surrounding territory.
Era III: Losing Palpatine will cause the Greater Maldrood, Eriadu Authority, Zero Command and Pentastar Alignment to break off. The entire territory controlled by the Empire will be divided up between the Empire and these 5 factions depending on where the Empire controls at the time. We've thought about having the Imperial factions all coalesce back into the Empire under Palaptine if you're not playing as them, but at least for now we feel like that could get a little problematic.

After this point, Daala pretty much makes them all come to their senses, so that should cover the major ones. Again, these will all be pretty clearly explained in-game when they're happening and the player will be warned of the consequences of their losses in these situations.

Operation Shadow Hand
"Someone...or something...has been biding its time, while the feuding Imperial factions distracted our attention..."
―Mon Mothma

Time Covered: Pre-Shadow Hand Campaigns (10ABY),Operation Shadow Hand (10-11ABY), Crimson Empire (11 ABY)

Since the Battle of Endor, Imperial forces would occasionally mysteriously disappear, leaving no records of their destination. In fact, these forces were being called to the new fleet of Emperor Palpatine, whose spirit had survived in a clone body. After Thrawn's defeat, Palpatine eventually reunited all of his former Imperial forces. The three massive Deep Core fleets comprised of multiple types of Star Dreadnaughts and their support ships struck outward while Kaine and Teradoc attacked from their respective holdings towards the core, catching the New Republic off guard and quickly reclaiming massive amounts of territory. The Imperials quickly fell to infighting, however Palpatine paid this no mind and instead continued with his campaign using new new types of superweapons; the Eclipse and the World Devastator.

If Palpatine is defeated, Warlord forces then unlock and the game progresses into the Crimson Empire period under Carnor Jax, detailed below. The Imperial territory will also divide back up into component Warlord groups.

Factions:
New Republic - Coruscant
Imperial Remnant - Byss

Emergent Factions:
Pentastar Alignment - Entralla*
Eriadu Authority - Kampe*
Greater Maldrood - Hakassi
Zero Command - Kalist VI

These factions will only emerge with territory already owned by the Empire, except for their capitals.

Crimson Empire
"The galaxy has changed—it's mine for the taking! I will rule the Empire…I will sit on Palpatine's throne."
―Carnor Jax

Time Covered: Crimson Empire (11 ABY)

The Empire has once again broken down into Warlordism. As the New Republic tries to regain its footing from before Shadow Hand, Carnor Jax is attempting to gain control of what's left under the Ruling Council's control. Warlord infighting is also at an all-time high, with long-time rivals Harrsk, Teradoc and Delvardus at each other's throats in the core. With Kaine's death in Shadow Hand, the Pentastar Alignment has also begun to fracture and succumb to outside pressure. This GC essentially takes up where the schism event in Shadow Hand occurs, but using a more canon-based interpretation of where each faction would have been at that time instead of, obviously, being based on how the game had progressed within that campaign. It also allows you to play Era III as a one of the Warlord factions.

Factions:
New Republic - Coruscant
Imperial Remnant - Ord Cantrell
Pentastar Alignment - Entralla
Eriadu Authority - Kampe
Greater Maldrood - Hakassi

Non-Playable Factions:

Zero Command - Kalist VI

Just like he did with Warlord Zsinj, Corey is doing another preview playthrough with Maldrood on his channel, so subscribe there if that's something you're interested in seeing. The first few episodes showed off some of the new schism events as well.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 05:12:27 PM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

November 07, 2016, 04:55:46 PMReply #1

Offline Mr.Puerto

• Mod Team Member
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +18/-6
  • Professional Shut in, Steam Name: Mr.puertorican
    • View Profile
Re: Schism Events, Research & Galactic Conquest Breakdown - Era Three & Four
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 04:55:46 PM »
Awesome stuff, can't wait to play it!
“In this world, whenever there is light, there are also shadows. As long as the concept of winners exist, there must also be losers. The selfish desire of wanting to maintain peace causes wars and hatred is born to protect love.“

November 07, 2016, 05:03:27 PMReply #2

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 05:03:27 PM »
I'm at a loss for words....
Few questions though
1: In Era 5 During Camassi Crisis is it possible that we could see if you failed to take Nauran in a certain time a Schism in the NR?
2: So research applies to witch factions?
3: How Come we go right to Crimson Empire after Paps dies when we had Sedriss launch Shadow hand?
4: The Title says era 4 but I see no era 4 Gcs?
5: In Crimson Empire it says Maldrood and Zero Command Control Hakssi. Do they take it when jax dies or is that a mistake.
6: Will Maldrood get more pirate units and heroes in Crimson empire and What happens to PA in Crimson Empire.

Overall this is the most interesting article Great job Guys.
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

November 07, 2016, 05:13:12 PMReply #3

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 05:13:12 PM »
I think this sounds AWESOME.  Actually excited to play FOC again.  :D
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

November 07, 2016, 05:48:43 PMReply #4

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 05:48:43 PM »
1: In Era 5 During Camassi Crisis is it possible that we could see if you failed to take Nauran in a certain time a Schism in the NR?
We're still deciding exactly how we want to handle the story in Caamas Crisis, but it won't involve conquering Nirauan.

2: So research applies to witch factions?
As it says, it only applies to the Remnant, EotH and New Republic. Moreso New Rep, less so IR.

3: How Come we go right to Crimson Empire after Paps dies when we had Sedriss launch Shadow hand?
I mentioned this, but having era 3 go Palpatine to Sedriss to Palpatine again (it wasn't just Sedriss) is just redundant for the player. We're not gonna split the era into four sections when it's essentially all the same thing, and would require killing essentially four Sith lord with two extremely powerful SSDs. It just overcomplicates it beyond anything worth having in the mod, and I doubt anyone would ever get to the later stages before the GC ended.

4: The Title says era 4 but I see no era 4 Gcs?
5: In Crimson Empire it says Maldrood and Zero Command Control Hakssi. Do they take it when jax dies or is that a mistake.

The title autocomplete grabbed that from the rough draft when this update was meant to cover Reunification as well, and wherever it says Hakassi for Zero Command it should be Kalist. Both are now fixed.

6: Will Maldrood get more pirate units and heroes in Crimson empire and What happens to PA in Crimson Empire.
No, they get the same pirate units in era 3 as they do in era 4. The PA has lost most of its leadership, but its territory, as you can see, remains mostly intact. Some of the key Imperial players from later on did end up with the Warlords during this time, like Pellaeon with Maldrood, so you may see some more stuff like that with them as well.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

November 07, 2016, 05:52:53 PMReply #5

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Schism Events, Research & Galactic Conquest Breakdown - Era Three
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 05:52:53 PM »
Thanks Corey you the man
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

November 07, 2016, 05:59:23 PMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 05:59:23 PM »
Also keep in mind that era progression list is only for GCs wherein you actually do progress in eras, where it's about the broad strokes of the story. In era-or-event-specific GCs, they're the kinds of things we're likely to expand more.

November 07, 2016, 06:06:55 PMReply #7

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 06:06:55 PM »
Also keep in mind that era progression list is only for GCs wherein you actually do progress in eras, where it's about the broad strokes of the story. In era-or-event-specific GCs, they're the kinds of things we're likely to expand more.
This is a crazy Question but could we see a dark saber GC? ( that sounds kind of pointless but it would be hilarious )
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

November 07, 2016, 09:18:29 PMReply #8

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 09:18:29 PM »
This is truly glorious.
Will Jax have the Emperor's Revenge in space as well as a ground model?
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

November 07, 2016, 09:27:48 PMReply #9

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »
This is a crazy Question but could we see a dark saber GC? ( that sounds kind of pointless but it would be hilarious )

No, Darksaber the station will not be in the mod.

This is truly glorious.
Will Jax have the Emperor's Revenge in space as well as a ground model?

Yes.

November 08, 2016, 12:43:57 AMReply #10

Offline Kyle-Katarn67

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 12:43:57 AM »
JEsus man, I better stop modding this mod with extra little features before I forget which to add to 2.2.

Also, I believe that seeing some additional things balance and flavor did for the New Republic would be welcomed.  For example, the Orinda Campaign with the ability to capture the Guardian.  More added fighter squadron heroes like ace and Wraith.  Rogue is nice and all, but there were definitely more notable fighter squadron heroes in the EU that deserve their spot lights.

Even if the Emancipator is in the new version, the Liberator should be as well.  While it may have not had a specific commander, just having an extra unit for the time line and lore adds more to the immersion of the mod.  Seriously, it realllllly does.

Speaking of Orinda btw, could that be the splinter point after Daala?  The New Republic gains the Guardian while the Empire gains megador and Dominion?  Again, asthetics are very entertaining and good for us lore lovers.  With the hero death system also, having them in the mod isn't game breaking in the slightest.

To Add on, can Hast make a larger appearance in the Art of war based GC's?  It has played quite a major role as a Republic shipyard over and over again.

Hell even for more fun, After Zsinj dies, can the Crynyd, Skyhook, and Red gauntlet spawn for the NR in the post Zsinj era?  Then, for balancing they can despawn in the transition to the next era since canonically they were destroyed during the campaign with Rogriss.  Again these Heroes are minor, but it seriously adds a significant amount of Immersion to the Republic and the rest of the galaxy.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 12:49:30 AM by Kyle-Katarn67 »

November 08, 2016, 07:38:06 AMReply #11

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2016, 07:38:06 AM »
JEsus man, I better stop modding this mod with extra little features before I forget which to add to 2.2.

Also, I believe that seeing some additional things balance and flavor did for the New Republic would be welcomed.  For example, the Orinda Campaign with the ability to capture the Guardian.  More added fighter squadron heroes like ace and Wraith.  Rogue is nice and all, but there were definitely more notable fighter squadron heroes in the EU that deserve their spot lights.

Even if the Emancipator is in the new version, the Liberator should be as well.  While it may have not had a specific commander, just having an extra unit for the time line and lore adds more to the immersion of the mod.  Seriously, it realllllly does.

Speaking of Orinda btw, could that be the splinter point after Daala?  The New Republic gains the Guardian while the Empire gains megador and Dominion?  Again, asthetics are very entertaining and good for us lore lovers.  With the hero death system also, having them in the mod isn't game breaking in the slightest.

To Add on, can Hast make a larger appearance in the Art of war based GC's?  It has played quite a major role as a Republic shipyard over and over again.

Hell even for more fun, After Zsinj dies, can the Crynyd, Skyhook, and Red gauntlet spawn for the NR in the post Zsinj era?  Then, for balancing they can despawn in the transition to the next era since canonically they were destroyed during the campaign with Rogriss.  Again these Heroes are minor, but it seriously adds a significant amount of Immersion to the Republic and the rest of the galaxy.
I pretty sure the Liberator wont be showing up. If it did I give it to Luke For era 1-3 and that's it. The Liberator was destroyed when it crash Coruscant. And Yes the NR getting the Emancipator and Wraith Squadron will pop up in "Necessary places" no sure on ace Squadron. For the Post Zsinj Era they are probably way too minor for the NR Faction. Hast Could pop up in Hunt for Zsinj and you can put lord Shadow Spawn on it. For the Orinda IDK
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

November 08, 2016, 10:06:39 AMReply #12

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 10:06:39 AM »
Yes.

Neat time to track him down with Kanos
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

November 08, 2016, 11:30:00 AMReply #13

Offline Labria

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
  • I have good feeling about this
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 11:30:00 AM »
Wow, this looks great. I think Crimson Empire will be one of my favorite GCs.
Will have Crimson Empire access to Sovereign? I hate these ships with OP laser. :D
Will be Pellaeon in Maldrood or in Empire for Crimson Empire GC?

“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”
Yoda

November 08, 2016, 03:57:42 PMReply #14

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 03:57:42 PM »

Final Imperial Push, which covered the entirety of Era 5 before, has been split into three campaigns one of which will be based on the Orinda campaign. Guardian, Megador, and Dominion will feature into it. We haven't done more fighter squadrons in the past because we wanted to do Wraith differently, which we may or may not be able to do. Other heroes will be evaluated on a per-GC basis, however in the past there was also no need to add another hero to a faction that had way more than any other group. The Nr getting new heroes is contingent on them losing others, based on the scenario. We're already adding a ton, and there's a line somewhere where more isn't necessarily better.

Same point as above applies here. Heroes will be evaluated on a per-GC basis, and part of expanding the GC roster is that it allows us to explore some of the more event-specific characters in those, while keeping a more 'core' roster for the larger GCs where the New Republic already has several times as many heroes as some factions.

I'm not sure what you mean by splinter point. If you mean era change, then we're not putting a different era change in for Orinda, the tradeoff of power between Daala and Pellaeon is the logical point for that. If you mean schism event, then the Empire didn't break up into different ground because of it, so it doesn't work for that. If you mean is it getting represented within events of the mod, then yes, it is. Also, while those ships will be present in some way, that doesn't mean you necessarily get them for free. Things dying permanently doesn't really mean they're not a balance issue. Jerec and Kaine can both die permanently, but the fact that we've always had to balance around the PA starting with two free SSDs was always a problem for their GC presence.

We won't even internally be discussing what planets to put in which progressive-era GCs until we're done all the era specific ones. Hast will likely be present in at least a few, but planets in those GCs are also chosen based on balance considerations. Lore is great to have, but giving a faction like 6 shipyards to start with in a given GC is not, especially when that shipyard is literally right next to another more important shipyard for the same faction.

They may be considered as heroes for the Hunt for Zsinj GC, but probably as regular rewards, not as named heroes. The line for more not being better is probably somewhere before completely standard ships without known commanders.

Will have Crimson Empire access to Sovereign? I hate these ships with OP laser.
No.

Will be Pellaeon in Maldrood or in Empire for Crimson Empire GC?
Maldrood.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 04:47:42 PM by Corey »

November 08, 2016, 04:28:22 PMReply #15

Offline hellblazer

• Stormtrooper Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 04:28:22 PM »
This looks awesome.
Quick question: What heroes will the PA have? And who will be their leader? Because at this point, Kaine, Jerec, Sariss and Yun are dead, Grant has deserted to the NR, and I think Trelix and Sysco are dead too.
PS: It seems to me that the EA is missing in the Crimson Empire image.

November 08, 2016, 05:08:54 PMReply #16

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2016, 05:08:54 PM »
Final Imperial Push, which covered the entirety of Era 5 before, has been split into three campaigns one of which will be based on the Orinda campaign. Guardian, Megador, and Dominion will feature into it. We haven't done more fighter squadrons in the past because we wanted to do Wraith differently, which we may or may not be able to do. Other heroes will be evaluated on a per-GC basis, however in the past there was also no need to add another hero to a faction that had way more than any other group. The Nr getting new heroes is contingent on them losing others, based on the scenario. We're already adding a ton, and there's a line somewhere where more isn't necessarily better.
You could make so Wraith isn't just X-Wings or Change fighters during the eras, and make them like a ground commando unit fo
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

November 08, 2016, 05:21:55 PMReply #17

Offline c-sa

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2016, 05:21:55 PM »
I love the death clones and damaged hardpoints, it would be cool to have them for every ship, that'd be awesome

November 08, 2016, 05:55:19 PMReply #18

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2016, 05:55:19 PM »
This looks awesome.
Quick question: What heroes will the PA have? And who will be their leader? Because at this point, Kaine, Jerec, Sariss and Yun are dead, Grant has deserted to the NR, and I think Trelix and Sysco are dead too.
PS: It seems to me that the EA is missing in the Crimson Empire image.
Hey I notice that too. that is not good.
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

November 09, 2016, 09:30:32 PMReply #19

Offline Womboning

• Recruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
Real talk, I'm super pumped for death clones. Seems like the least exciting thing in the update, but to me at least, it adds so much to the immersion and makes the battle looks so much more amazing. Not to mention barely any devs, let alone mod makers, take the time to put in small details like that. I get frames and such can be an issue, but adding an entire new layer to the atmosphere and visual depth of a game, like battle damage on units and the like, is worth bumping the graphics from Very High to High for me any day. Keep up the great work fam :) 

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!