Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Tech Tree Suggestions  (Read 19746 times)

March 22, 2014, 06:20:18 AM

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Tech Tree Suggestions
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:20:18 AM »
Discuss ideas for technologies. Please refer to Dev Diary #6: Technological Horticulture before posting.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:50:11 AM by Corey »
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 22, 2014, 11:45:23 AMReply #1

Offline Xendrek

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Tech Tree Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:45:23 AM »
An idea I have for the Remnant is one of the researches could be called "Imperial Fear Doctrine" and when researched it adds maybe one or two capital ship points.

March 22, 2014, 08:46:46 PMReply #2

Meo

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 08:46:46 PM »
- Fleet Doctrine -
an upgrade any faction that wishes to establish more "empire" like qualities or go full rebellion. Wedge said it best During the X-wing series  when he was remarking upon the fact that the new republic had essentially become the empire - with established bases they had to protect, while Zsjini had become the rebellion, hitting and running. Each doctrine would build into the upgrades, you would only get to pick one then it block off the other route.

Established Empire - 5/10/15% speed of hyperspace jumping.
Interdiction minus 10/20/35% Enemy ship Hyperspace charge up in your systems. 
Structure Defence. +1/2/4% hp of structures.
Established Tax Base +5/10/15% Tax income.

Rebellion - 5/10/15% + speed of ships in system.
Hit and Run -Agility of ships increased by 10/20/35%,
Raid and Plunder - Recover 0.5/1/2% of credits gained from kills.
Smugglers route -5/10/15% discount on black market resources .

- Guild/organization Doctrine -
Pick one, this represents the "tolerated" organizations, for the empire this would be represented by their willingness to work with bounty hunters, or the rebellions willingness to work with Smugglers.

- Bounty Hunter Guild -
Best Weapons 2/5/9% damage bonus,2/4/6% hp bonus to ships, Ships cost 1/2/3% more
Headhunting -Additional damage against capital ships 5/10/15%,
Mercs - May hire mercenary forces from Culture centre.
Trophies - Ships killed receive 5/10/15% more experience to capitals.

- Smugglers Guild -
Black Market - better prices on the black market
Duck and weave - Trade ships gain 10/20/30% more in system speed and agility
Cut and run - 2/4/6% faster charge up for hyperspace ships leaving enemy territory
Corruption - Receive 5/10/15% income from trade goods, trade ports are 4/8/12% cheaper to build,  minus 2/4/6% tax income.

- Intelligence Network -
Networking - Culture spreads 5/10/15 % faster, 2/4/6% strength in culture, minus 5/10/15% when culture "breaks through" enemy planets (eg when culture overwhelms and enemy planet it will take longer for it to consolidate and start spreading through.
Informants - Gain vision on every system that culture has spread too
Sabotage - When culture spreads to enemy planet, it loses population 10/20/35% of current population
Partisans - "Liberation" forces sometimes spawn in enemy territory

- Jedi Temple -
Defenders - 10/20/30% bombing resistance
Centre of Learning - 10/20/35% research time, 2/4/6% reduction in researching cost Minus 2/4/6 fleet supply.
Roaming Peacekeepers - 5/10/15% increase in trade income.
Guidance of the force - 2/4/6% shield hp.

- Sith Temple -
Sith order - 5/10/15% income to tax base, Population grows 10/20/30% faster, minus 2/4/6% research time.
Fleet in Being - +25,+50,+75 fleet supply (based on large games)
Dominance - 5/10/15% culture spread rate.
Structured societies- +5 +10 +15, bonus "happiness"

March 22, 2014, 10:17:26 PMReply #3

Offline Annimagus

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 10:17:26 PM »
Some possible New Republic-specific techs, if you're looking for faction-specific things

Mon Calamari Construction Protocols: Increase capital ship, cruiser and frigate shield strength and regen by 5% / 10% / 15%, at the cost of 10% / 20% / 30% construction speed.
  The New Republic was never the fastest at bringing new ships or ship classes online, but when it did, they had some of the best and most powerful shields in the galaxy.  Mon Remonda went toe-to-toe with Iron Fist several times, despite its much smaller size, and survived several of those encounters at least in part through canny use of its shielding capabilities.

Legacy of Rogue Squadron: Increase starfighter and bomber shield strength and damage by 3% / 6% / 10%, at the cost of 6% / 12% / 20% fighter and bomber construction speeds.
  The New Republic relied on starfighter superiority, and much of their advantage in that area came from grueling training regimens and exhaustive testing of new pilots BEFORE they were allowed on the front lines.

Hold the Line: In any gravity well where the Alliance / New Republic holds a cultural majority, increase damage output and hit points of all ships by 2% / 4% / 6%.
  The Alliance and New Republic fought to defend their freedom from the tyranny of the Empire.  When that freedom was on the line, they fought all the more tenaciously.

Of course, I'm a huge fan of factions that emphasize victory through the strength of the elite few, so of COURSE those are the things I'd want to buff.

Perhaps, taking a page from Meo's organizational technique, I might suggest the following Fleet Doctrines:

We Have Reserves: 10% / 20% / 30% overall fleet supply; 5% / 10% / 15% ship HP and / or damage.
Forced Conscription: Reduce cost of all unit recruitment, but increase how much planetary allegiance falls off with distance from capital
Replaceable Parts: Increase regeneration rate of all capital ship, frigate and cruiser hit point pools by 3% / 6% / 10%, and increase rate of starfighter and bomber construction by 6% / 13% / 20%.
Darken the Skies: Ships in a gravity well of enemy culture will convert it more quickly; ships in a gravity well of friendly culture will provide additional pushback against invading enemy culture.

Opposed by:

Leave No Man Behind: 5% / 10% / 15% shield HP and regen for all craft; 10% / 20% / 30% construction speed for all craft.
Volunteer Army: Decrease planetary allegiance falloff with distance from capital, but increase all unit recruitment costs.
Individuality: Increase damage output of starfighters and bombers by 3% / 6% / 10%, and increase HP pools for Capital ships, Frigates and Cruisers by 2% / 4% / 6%.
For Our People: Ships fight more effectively in friendly cultural zones.

Individuality: Increase damage output of starfighters and bombers by 3% / 6% / 10%, and increase HP pools for Capital ships, Frigates and Cruisers by 2% / 4% / 6%.

That was supposed to read:

Sorry.  Proofreading fail.  And I also failed to notice that I wasn't logged in when I hit "post".  Whoops.

[Fixed that for you - Corey]
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:25:18 AM by Corey »

March 23, 2014, 12:23:40 AMReply #4

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:23:40 AM »
On a side note, keep in mind we're trying to avoid eventuality upgrades. Think upgrades that have downsides that make you change your playstyle for them. BUT, Meo, why aren't you registered? We'd love to have more consistent fans like you.

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

March 23, 2014, 03:10:56 PMReply #5

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 03:10:56 PM »
for EotH in weapons upgrade line could be megamaser replacements
I mean they start all ships with laser/turbolaser cannons, and as the player proceeds with the weapon upgrades they will be replaced by megamasers like this:
1.Laser cannon => Megamasers (anti fighter ones)
2.Turbo lasers => Megamasers
3.Dual Lasers and Turbolasers => Dual megamasers
so it would make realistic the Hand's weapon upgrade projects

For the NR would be kinda sweet to see as they really establishing the Republic trough tech researches

As for the empire, i don't really know, as they are more like in a crysis than a rapid advancement unlike the NR, so i think they would more depend on cost reduction and increasing build speed than new tecnologies.

but this is only my oppinion
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 23, 2014, 03:16:10 PMReply #6

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
Masers and megamasers weren't invented in this period, they were standard Chiss technology so they would have been present on any EotH ship from the start.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

March 23, 2014, 09:05:05 PMReply #7

Offline Waffle Wagon

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »
Maybe the world devastators and the galaxy gun could be reward units in an 'intimidation' doctrine, relating to the shock and awe tactics the Empire was so fond of. Use of world devastators could inflict a small diplomatic relations penalty, and constructing the galaxy gun could likewise have a similar but much more massive debuff.

March 24, 2014, 12:36:11 AMReply #8

Offline Meyer

• Grand Moff
  • Approval: +69/-2
  • Do-ro'ik vong pratte!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 12:36:11 AM »
One tech for the Empire could be the Tarkin Doctrine which gives some build time and/or cost reductions but also diplomatic relations penalty which begs the question would it be possible to have the penalty affect only NR and EOTH?
I reject your canon and substitute my own!

March 24, 2014, 03:54:53 AMReply #9

Meo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 03:54:53 AM »
Unfortunetly my validation email wont go through to my email >.<.

I've checked everything upto spam folder but it isnt letting me register

March 24, 2014, 05:57:32 AMReply #10

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 05:57:32 AM »
Masers and megamasers weren't invented in this period, they were standard Chiss technology so they would have been present on any EotH ship from the start.
i doesn't ment to invent them, i ment to replace the imperial standards.
i tought it cuz of the Chiss Ascendancy is not the same with the hand wich is using half imperial half chiss tech
i was in fact thinking for an ISD with megamasers :D
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 05:59:12 AM by kucsidave »
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

March 24, 2014, 07:11:51 PMReply #11

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2014, 07:11:51 PM »
an another idea, but this time for the IR:
if u could somehow would be abble to make upgradeabble ships (i don't know if it is possibe), than ISD II and VSD II s could be upgraded from their precessors...
Would be sweet, and balance the game a bit.
Also VSD IIs could have the crimson command style red platings via upgrade...
And for the SSD would be nice to upgrade it like the titans in original game...
Also would be nice if people would be abble to choose 1 costum upgrade for them just like the Starbases of the vanila (a stealth armor like the knight hammer's, or something this usefull)
For diplomacy and culture, an upgrade called:
-The fear factor: Wich would give a diplomacy pen. , but increase the culture spread of your fraction :)

March 24, 2014, 07:29:44 PMReply #12

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:44 PM »
an another idea, but this time for the IR:
if u could somehow would be abble to make upgradeabble ships (i don't know if it is possibe), than ISD II and VSD II s could be upgraded from their precessors...
Would be sweet, and balance the game a bit.
Also VSD IIs could have the crimson command style red platings via upgrade...
And for the SSD would be nice to upgrade it like the titans in original game...
Also would be nice if people would be abble to choose 1 costum upgrade for them just like the Starbases of the vanila (a stealth armor like the knight hammer's, or something this usefull)
For diplomacy and culture, an upgrade called:
-The fear factor: Wich would give a diplomacy pen. , but increase the culture spread of your fraction :)

For ISD's it would be nice to be able to upgrade them to the ISD-II standard since the ISD-II is superior in every way, however while the VSD-II was designed to rectify issues with the VSD-I, they really fill different niches.  The VSD-I is a great defensive ship with the ability to target fighters/corvettes very well due to it's concussion missiles.  The VSD-II is more of a true warship, designed to go toe to toe with capital ships and be able to outrun and outmaneuver it's larger opponents.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

March 25, 2014, 02:51:58 AMReply #13

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 02:51:58 AM »
I had a couple ideas for EoTH mobility tech. A part of the techs be  focused on "gotta go fast" dogma and have some sort of speed increase while sacrificing armor and/or shields that could be combined with another tech that increases weapon damage while decreasing shields to make for a good hit and run force. You could then have a different direction and have a reversal of something like the techs above?

I was also curious about how the team/anyone would feel about some EoTH ships getting a cloaking device (Specifically the Vigilance).
How do I even

March 25, 2014, 07:15:42 AMReply #14

Offline Kalo

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +31/-23
  • That Guy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 07:15:42 AM »
I had a couple ideas for EoTH mobility tech. A part of the techs be  focused on "gotta go fast" dogma and have some sort of speed increase while sacrificing armor and/or shields that could be combined with another tech that increases weapon damage while decreasing shields to make for a good hit and run force. You could then have a different direction and have a reversal of something like the techs above?

I was also curious about how the team/anyone would feel about some EoTH ships getting a cloaking device (Specifically the Vigilance).

Try writing the tech in a way that it'd appear in the tech tree. Helps some of us visualize it better. Like ;

GOTTA GO FAST. : Warlord, Vigilance, Decimator, and Kariek class ships all receive a 6/12/18% speed bonus at the cost of a 7/14/21% reduction to weapon power.

I remember us talking about cloaking but making it very similar to how it worked in the books. IE ; all vision is lost, any information in the system is lost, things like that. It has a serious downside to it basically. I remember that the reason we thought about this was because the game doesn't actually do cloaking very well. If anyone remembers the Vasari cap ship that makes itself "phase" out, this is what we'd use to do the ability. I like this idea personally. Also, I love the fast reference.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:20:58 AM by Corey »

Codeuser says:
STUPID JFK

March 25, 2014, 07:20:40 AMReply #15

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »
Unfortunetly my validation email wont go through to my email >.<.

I've checked everything upto spam folder but it isnt letting me register

I just manually activated your account(s). You should be able to log in now.

If anyone remembers the Vasari cap ship that makes itself "phase" out, this is what we'd use to do the ability

Not necessarily, there's a few ways to do it.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:24:41 AM by Corey »

March 25, 2014, 08:34:56 PMReply #16

Offline Settra

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
  • Pls no
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 08:34:56 PM »
Alrighty, will rewrite to help visualizing!

GOTTA GO FAST part of the tree:

Warlord, Vigilance, Decimator, Asdoni, Au'Riette, Nurudo, and Kariek class ships all receive a 5%/10%/15% bonus to speed at the cost of a 4%/8%/12% reduction of shields.

Ascendancy, Phalanx, and Syndic class ships all receive a 5%/10%/15% bonus to speed at the cost of a 4%/8%/12% reduction of shields.

Warlord, Vigilance, Decimator, Asdoni, Au'Riette, Nurudo, Kariek, Ascendancy, Phalanx, and Syndic  class ships all receive a 6%/12%/18% bonus to weapon damage AND speed at the cost of a 5%/10%/15% reduction of armor AND shileds

(The last one I'm not sure how it'd work out, the intention would be to make the EoTH ships really strong glass cannons

DROP BOWS ON 'EM/GET TANKY part of the tree:

Warlord, Vigilance, Decimator, Asdoni, Au'Riette, Nurudo, and Kariek class ships all receive a 5%/10%/15% bonus to shields at the cost of a 4%/8%/12% reduction of weapon damage

Ascendancy, Phalanx, and Syndic class ships all receive a 5%/10%/15% bonus to shields at the cost of a 4%/8%/12% reduction of weapon damage

Warlord, Vigilance, Decimator, Asdoni, Au'Riette, Nurudo, Kariek, Ascendancy, Phalanx, and Syndic  class ships all receive a 6%/12%/18% bonus to Shields and armor at the cost of a 5%/10%/15% reduction of speed AND weapon damage.

I remeber seeing mention of the EoTH being focused on defense as well as speed, the 2 trees could represent two sides of EoTH military tactics being hard hitting and fast, or being slow and defensive. Of course al the numbers aren't real, since I have little idea how it'd translate to the game, but I'm assuming they'd be evened so as to make it that if you for some reason got all of the techs it would bring you to neutral values of all the stats.

I'm interested in other's opinions of this as well!

How do I even

March 27, 2014, 02:21:38 AMReply #17

Offline Meo

• Stormtrooper
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 02:21:38 AM »
Thank you !

how broad are we running with the upgrades, are we just talking fleet? Because I play sins a lot, and the culture aspect as well as trade is more empire based. If this game is going to be a limited fight between warlords then hey fine fleet upgrades are the way to go. If we are talking about an entire empire through multiple eras then I think empire based upgrades should be the way to go. to that end I'd probably just hang mutually exclusive negatives on my upgrades to make it simply not viable to go for both, and go from there.

Though i do like the guild system it might be a bit to much Civ policy like.

Meo

March 27, 2014, 09:21:35 AMReply #18

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 09:21:35 AM »
we know the NR doesnt't built up it's senate in one day, so i tought for an upgrade line:
-Senatorian meetings:Gives a +5% Alligance, and +5% extra Culture Spread Across the galaxy.
-Senatorian talks: Gives an additional +5% Alligance, and +5% extra Culture Spread Across the galaxy.
-Congresses: Gives the NR an overall +20% Alligance, and +15% extra Culture Spread Across the galaxy.

For trade:
-Regional Trading: Gives a +5% for trading.
-Republic wide Trading: Gives an additional +5% for trading.
And
-Fastened Trading: Gives a +15% for trading craft spped

March 27, 2014, 02:05:12 PMReply #19

Offline exwarrior 2015

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 02:05:12 PM »
here is one for the IR. Mixed Race Military "Allow alien species into the Imperial Navy".  A 5%/10%/15% increase to Culture Spread but with a 5%/10%/15% decrease to Allegiance.  The reasoning behind these changes is the idea that the Imperial Remnant started allowing all races into their military thus improving their galactic image and promoting other races to join them.  But along with this increased diplomatic strength the human populations back home become upset so your Allegiance drops.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!