Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Reunification Strategies?  (Read 18825 times)

August 10, 2013, 02:11:38 AMReply #20

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Reunification Strategies?
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 02:11:38 AM »
I love the Crimson Command VSD-II's.  Soon as I got Cronus and the Knight Hammer I built max quantity of them, and actually defeated Coruscant using nothing but Crimson Command VSD-II's (without Cronus) and a single Dominator to keep them from running.  I know the description says they're more powerful than other VSD's, what advantage other than looking cool do they have over the standard VSD-II?

Crimson Command VSD2s are fantastic (and half the reason Teriadoc is such a bastard to evict with your starting fleet.  Those six CCs are miles tougher than his single ISD2, which for some reason is ALWAYS called the Phoenix for me)

Comparing them in the manual, Crimson Command models have double the Ion Cannon batteries (40/4 rather than 20/2) and 1.5x the number of standard turbolasers (60/6 compared to 40/4), which certainly explains why a mass of them can be a huuuuge threat to heavily-shielded other ships - They've got, in their smaller, more maneuverable package, 2/3rds the ion-cannon complement and as many regular turbolasers of a full sized Imperial I Star Destroyer (ISDIIs use heavy ion cannons that distort the firepower comparison) for one less pop point, which over 40 points allows three more ships to edge in...  not to mention being MUCH faster, and thus, much better at flanking rebel ships, than the whale that is the ISDI.

August 10, 2013, 02:36:57 AMReply #21

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 02:36:57 AM »
Wow.  Nice.  Yeah, never been a fan of the ISD-I.  Much more a fan of fleets the PA way.  VSD-II's and Venators with a Praetor-II as the damage sponge and a few Enforcers to quickly chase down corvettes.  If they had the Strike-Cruiser to throw in there it would be perfect to me.  But as the IR, those CC's and Strike's make for a wicked fleet.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

August 10, 2013, 06:13:17 AMReply #22

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2013, 06:13:17 AM »
Right now I'm just enjoying making a mockery of Rebel defenses with Cronus flagshipping in, dropping an Interdictor behind him (7 pop points), then a mix of Crimson Commands (to chase down reinforcing capships) and Defenders (because god DAMN a single...  Endurance, I think it is?  Brings like seven top-quality fighter squadrons) up to 25 cap...  and then BAM, Knight Hammer, what up.

Just swept something like fourteen capships (mostly Majestics, with some MC90 and Endurance back-up) along with twenty-odd frigates and fighter complements (and the Millennium Falcon) off the map without losing a ship with just such an attack (it helped that I controlled the planet surface, and so could cripple ships and leave them to float with the HVC until I was ready for the next wave)

The best part?  The rebels were bringing in their ground forces when I pushed Daala's fleet into Hakassi's airspace, so they were still en-route...  And couldn't do a thing to escape when I fired up my Interdictor.  Scratch Lando, Corran, and Luke (and I already took Mara Jade out a while back)

August 10, 2013, 04:14:28 PMReply #23

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2013, 04:14:28 PM »
I use Cronus in a similar manner but normally have him Hype in then Interdictor and 2 more CCs.
Then jump in Knight Hammer into the middle of the enemy fleet as it turns to go towards the Star base as they almost ALWAYS do. 2 ISDIIs and Pellaeon as outriders and 2 CCs dropped beside the Space Station. Game set.

I love the Knight Hammer...possiby my favorite SSD if only it had been commanded by Pellaeon instead of Daala that ship might have had a long and promising career...wonder if in the future there's a way to give Knight Hammer to another Hero(hell even Delvardus) in the xmls...
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

August 10, 2013, 05:07:21 PMReply #24

Offline JC123

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2013, 05:07:21 PM »
I love the Knight Hammer...possiby my favorite SSD if only it had been commanded by Pellaeon instead of Daala that ship might have had a long and promising career...wonder if in the future there's a way to give Knight Hammer to another Hero(hell even Delvardus) in the xmls...

Such is the fate of most Imperial weapons.  Once they are discovered a plot hole comes along and kills them.
Did you see that?  Know what that cost?  $58,000.  I mean, what a waste.  It wasn't even funny.  That's $58,000 that could have gone to curing leukemia.  Or.  muscular dystrophy.  Or... what does Michael J. Fox have?  That.  Alright, let's watch some damn cartoons.

August 10, 2013, 10:26:56 PMReply #25

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2013, 10:26:56 PM »
Yeah...sadness indeed

August 14, 2013, 07:39:03 PMReply #26

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
Yeah that's something that always pissed me off, the coolest imp. weapons were sabotaged by a little rebel commando wich had an increidble ammoun of luck to pass trough all security sistems, get into restricted areas, plant the explosives, avoid detection, and survive. Damm movies and books XD
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

August 14, 2013, 11:09:15 PMReply #27

Offline Redraline_Salkos

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
  • Common sense is not so common
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2013, 11:09:15 PM »
I wrote a short story for school once, long ago, where the "heroes" attempted to sabotage a super weapon built by their "tyrannical" government...They got their whole planet sterilized by the extraterrestrial force that the government had been keeping secret to prevent mass hysteria. Not too imaginative, sure, but I was in middle school.
Immaturity is the incapacity to use one's intelligence without the guidance of another. -
Immanuel Kant

August 15, 2013, 01:23:55 AMReply #28

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2013, 01:23:55 AM »
Yeah that's something that always pissed me off, the coolest imp. weapons were sabotaged by a little rebel commando wich had an increidble ammoun of luck to pass trough all security sistems, get into restricted areas, plant the explosives, avoid detection, and survive. Damm movies and books XD

Well with the Knight Hammer situation I could actually believe that. After all Daala's forces were almost all either conscripts, lightly trained, or had been enemies of each other for years. Throwing a force like that into battle against a unified enemy with little preparation in a rush is just asking for a disaster. Daala didn't put much stock in security procedures and she also neglected Pellaeon's warnings to be cautious in her preparations. Cronus himself remarked on how sloppy she and her crew were at Yavin before he met his end.

October 15, 2013, 01:05:22 AMReply #29

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2013, 01:05:22 AM »
Just started a Reunification GC, and MAN is it hard. Took Hakassi and Tsoss Beacon, and am currently working on down towards Odik (we'll see how it goes). On the plus side Ackbar is no more (yay autoresolve!!).
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

October 15, 2013, 02:33:22 PMReply #30

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 02:33:22 PM »
Yeah, it's INCREDIBLY hard, until you get the Knight Hammer, at that point, it becomes incredibly easy.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

October 15, 2013, 08:32:37 PMReply #31

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 08:32:37 PM »
Knight Hammer is good. Cronus is nothing to scoff at either, 25% buffs to everything is pretty awesome, plus PTW and PTS. I plan on grouping all the CCs and Cronus in a squad and do some guerrilla attacks like in the canon.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

October 16, 2013, 09:46:03 AMReply #32

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2013, 09:46:03 AM »
I do go hog wild building CC's once I get Cronus.  Love them things.

October 16, 2013, 10:31:10 AMReply #33

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 10:31:10 AM »
Even if they were the same as regular VSD IIs they are so prettyful that I would have to buy them. They're a nice change from Imperial Gray.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

October 16, 2013, 10:42:24 AMReply #34

Offline Enceladus

• Assistant Canadian
  • Former Mod Team Member
  • Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +33/-11
  • Did I mention GROUNDBREAKING?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 10:42:24 AM »
Good to know. We'll make them the same and jack up the price.

~Thrawn's Revenge Staff~

October 16, 2013, 11:15:26 AMReply #35

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 11:15:26 AM »
I think they're a good value where they're at now.  Faster, more maneuverable than ISD's, basically the same amount of power as an ISD, and better looking to boot.

October 16, 2013, 02:40:27 PMReply #36

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 02:40:27 PM »
Good to know. We'll make them the same and jack up the price.

Please no
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

October 16, 2013, 04:02:54 PMReply #37

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »
I think they're a good value where they're at now.  Faster, more maneuverable than ISD's, basically the same amount of power as an ISD, and better looking to boot.

Indeed, I try and duplicate the number of them as seen in the novel(thanks to a little xml tweaking in 2.0) so I normally have 73 of those led by Cronus, 17 ISDs lead by Pellaeon and the Knight Hammer Daala

October 16, 2013, 05:41:50 PMReply #38

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
I never build ISD's, ISD-II's only.  I'll use the ISD's I started with, but will never build another one except as the PA because I like to put Raquoran in a Fleet of ISD's in case he gets caught by an enemy fleet on a planet.  I prefer to use ISD's for that fleet so I can tell at a glance which fleet is his since early on, most of my fleets will have an ISD-II as their flagship until I have the $$$ to begin building Praetor MK II's.

But yeah, I build the max number of CC VSD-II's in reunification, although never have tweaked it to allow me to build more.  I did one time tweak it to allow me to build them as the NR, just because I wanted a heavy hitter ship that I liked, not because it's in the slightest bit canon for them to have CC's.

October 16, 2013, 07:02:25 PMReply #39

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2013, 07:02:25 PM »
You don't like BACs??
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!