Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Dev Diary #2: The Imperial Remnant  (Read 15580 times)

June 11, 2013, 01:04:56 AMReply #20

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Dev Diary #2: The Imperial Remnant
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2013, 01:04:56 AM »
I prefer the Executor class if I'm going for cap ship annihilation. Good all around but slow, that's where the Vics come in.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 11, 2013, 08:33:44 AMReply #21

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 08:33:44 AM »
The Executor is more like destroy everything in your path.

June 11, 2013, 09:12:05 AMReply #22

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
In an ideal world, I'd use Allegiances with Venators and Victory-II's supporting.  Still get a decent amount of fighters from the Venators and then hang back a bit to engage support ships, while the VSD's maneuver to tear through the enemies important ships as they concentrate on the Allegiances.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

July 18, 2013, 10:36:25 PMReply #23

Offline saryehudah

• Recruit
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2013, 10:36:25 PM »
Will you be adding the Tie Advanced?

July 18, 2013, 10:46:41 PMReply #24

Offline Crisiss

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-3
  • The weak deserve their fate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 10:46:41 PM »
Will you be adding the Tie Advanced?
The TIE advanced wasn't really massed produced or used enough in general to be a mainline fighter, so doubtful.
"Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead." - Revan

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - Winston Churchill

"Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

"We have drones and satellites and missiles that can pick a mosquito off a target's nose from three thousand miles away. Why do we have these things? Because the military gets an obscene budget every year and they spend it finding the best possible way to kill every living thing they can fit in a blast radius."

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." -General George S. Patton

July 20, 2013, 10:01:35 PMReply #25

Offline Eclipse

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +16/-5
  • My Eclipse has nothing to do with Force Unleashed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
The Executor is more like destroy everything in your path.

Yeah, altough the mod team hates super ship, I just love them. I am a "super ship spammer" when I play as the IR, and this won't be an exception. And as I will use all the super ships available the NR won't last
A Member of the Imperial Alignment(Allies With The Shadow Post Empire).

\"Yes, the destruction of Alderaan was regrettable, but so was the destruction of the Death Stars. Are the deaths of millions of Alderaanians?who conspired to overthrow the government?more tragic than the deaths of millions of Imperial soldiers who laid down their lives to defend our way of life? I think not.\"―Antinnis Tremayne

July 20, 2013, 10:57:26 PMReply #26

Offline Rovert10

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 10:57:26 PM »
Yeah, altough the mod team hates super ship, I just love them. I am a "super ship spammer" when I play as the IR, and this won't be an exception. And as I will use all the super ships available the NR won't last
I don't think they hate them just they hate having absurd amounts of them just for the "rule of cool".

July 21, 2013, 01:50:18 AMReply #27

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2013, 01:50:18 AM »
I love the Executor class SSD but I try and space them out since I like the idea of them as tactical and staregic assets rather than mass spams

July 21, 2013, 04:02:30 PMReply #28

Offline Crisiss

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-3
  • The weak deserve their fate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2013, 04:02:30 PM »
I love the Executor class SSD but I try and space them out since I like the idea of them as tactical and staregic assets rather than mass spams

In ICW, whenever I had the financial ability to made a couple of SSDs, they would all be assigned their own 'fleet'. So I would have 3 Executors along with an armada of support ships all pushing the enemy at once, all on different fronts. Using 2 Executors in one engagement is kind of a waste, IMO.
"Honor is a fool's prize. Glory is of no use to the dead." - Revan

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his." - Winston Churchill

"Earth to earth, ashes to ashes, dust to dust."

"We have drones and satellites and missiles that can pick a mosquito off a target's nose from three thousand miles away. Why do we have these things? Because the military gets an obscene budget every year and they spend it finding the best possible way to kill every living thing they can fit in a blast radius."

"May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't." -General George S. Patton

July 22, 2013, 12:35:52 AMReply #29

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2013, 12:35:52 AM »
In ICW, whenever I had the financial ability to made a couple of SSDs, they would all be assigned their own 'fleet'. So I would have 3 Executors along with an armada of support ships all pushing the enemy at once, all on different fronts. Using 2 Executors in one engagement is kind of a waste, IMO.

I always try and recreate famous battles with them or where they were stationed when I build them. Dathomir, Bastion, Odik II, Byss, Thyferra, Kuat depending on the era

July 23, 2013, 02:29:10 PMReply #30

Offline Zeron

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-11
  • The Galaxy Abhors The Lack Of Faith
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
Well we despised Super Ships in ICW because well, the engine is awful at handling them. There was really no way to accurately represent them in the EaW engine. As well, they encourage the worst sort of fanboys who want to add every ship they can find without regard to balance or even considering why on earth we would put them in in the first place. And fact remains that they were amazingly rare in the SW universe. Only the most powerful people in the expanded universe ever had even one, and usually they weren't actually committed to combat most of the time for fear of losing them. In the ICW timeline they are pretty much irreplaceable, outside of the Emperor's fleet. And in a larger sense, they were almost entirely worthless. Sure they may dominate most battles they are in, but for the price of one you could field and support a much larger fleet of ISDs that would be much more effective in actually fighting your enemy. SSDs can only be in one place at a time, and considering that the ICW was a galaxy wide conflict...well it's far more useful to have 25 ISDs that you can send to 25 different battles at once than having 1 SSD that you can send to 1 battle...and then lose the other 24.

July 23, 2013, 09:53:05 PMReply #31

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2013, 09:53:05 PM »
Yes they were based loosely off the Yamato and Musashi from WWII. Both were created to dominate through sheer size and mass firepower any other ships afloat. Ironically this also made them irreplaceable assets to the Imperial Japanese Navy who kept them back from almost all main engagments(much like most SSDs) limiting their effectiveness to a mere fear factor. That they both succumbed to mass fighter and bomber attacks just further resembles their Star Wars counterparts.

To a degree I can admit there are some decent virtues to the SSD concept. It is a powerful fleet unto itself and required less crew than 25 ISDs would have. It's fear factor and usefulness in engagements where they were present cannot be discounted. That they were held back or often misused is more of a sign of mismanagement by those who possessed them. Much like the IJN badly misused Yamato and Musashi in WWII. It doesn't detract from the ships themselves.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!