Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Zann Consortium-Overpowered?  (Read 138745 times)

September 08, 2012, 01:40:50 AMReply #80

Offline StarWarsSupremeCommander

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Zann Consortium-Overpowered?
« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2012, 01:40:50 AM »
Can someone explain to me in a summary why ZC is overpowered? The rebels can thrash easily, and the mass driver are not mućh of a problem if one knows how to properly utilise bombers.

September 08, 2012, 07:05:13 PMReply #81

Offline z741

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
  • Harbinger of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2012, 07:05:13 PM »
i dont know if anyone has noticed this, but the ZC plasma cannon on their space station can fire twice. let it charge, pause the game click to fire. then click it again but dont fire. unpause wait for it to hit its target then fire again.
Why are people popular in America?
The reason for popularity in America is not because of the media
It is the haters!

September 09, 2012, 03:27:59 AMReply #82

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2012, 03:27:59 AM »
Can someone explain to me in a summary why ZC is overpowered? The rebels can thrash easily, and the mass driver are not mućh of a problem if one knows how to properly utilise bombers.

The weapons on most of their ships go through shields, they have outrageous bonuses and damage. The Defilers "corrupt" ability can be mass spammed for way too little, they gain money insanely fast compared to the other factions. All their buildings have shields, Tyber can bribe or cloak his way through anything and what he can't he can kill with his nightmare blaster or have Urai slice and dice. The defilers are stealth fleets, so are most of the heroes allowing them to go nearly anywhere without danger.  Their orbital bombardment is twice as powerful as the other factions(being an Ion blast THEN a Plasma blast) They can sabotage buildings too easily with no downside.

Try this, play FoC big GC on hard as the Rebs or Imps and ignore the Zann Consortium until you destroy the other faction(rebs if you're Imps and Imps if you're rebs) then try and deal with them. You may notice that it is massively more difficult(if not impossible sometimes) to cleanse the ZC from the galaxy rather than the other two factions. They are like the flood, they have to be eradicated as soon as possible in GCs or they infect EVERYTHING and you have to nuke all the systems with the DSII(which not always works because IG88 can HIJACK the damn thing so there's ANOTHER reason the ZC is overpowered.

"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

September 09, 2012, 05:13:28 AMReply #83

Offline StarWarsSupremeCommander

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2012, 05:13:28 AM »
Plasma Cannon->Bombers
Mass Drivers->Bombers
Defliers-> Just destroy and cripple their Palaces( as long as you attack them early, they won't be able to expand)

Who ever said that I must concentrate on the other factions and not ZC first? The reason why they get out of hand is because players decide to leave them alone, not realizing that they can become a serious threat.

September 09, 2012, 09:15:12 PMReply #84

Offline z741

• Brevet Admiral
  • Harbinger of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 09, 2012, 09:15:12 PM »
all you have to do is eliminate them off the bat. play them on a gc, remember what planets they start with go back and kill em all.

they arent overpowered,

the hack death star is a bit annoying so i send fett to take ig-88 out.  ::)

It is the haters!

September 09, 2012, 11:15:15 PMReply #85

Offline Thuellai

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
  • Gold Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:15 PM »
all you have to do is eliminate them off the bat. play them on a gc, remember what planets they start with go back and kill em all.

they arent overpowered,

the hack death star is a bit annoying so i send fett to take ig-88 out.  ::)

The point is that you have to eliminate them early.
Their late game advantages are more sizable than any other faction.  Which makes them overpowered.  An enemy faction shouldn't completely dictate my strategy.  Influence it, yes - obviously if I'm fighting the Rebels I probably want more anti-fighter firepower, because they love to fighter spam.  But dictate it?  No.

And their ability to do things like steal the Death Star II is rather stretching the lore, not to mention their fairly reliable ability to conquer planets while completely skipping the space battle side of things with their cluster of incredibly powerful stealth heroes.

September 10, 2012, 01:39:50 AMReply #86

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2012, 01:39:50 AM »
All of the factions in base are ridiculously OP if you play them right, but the Consortium is by far the most OP. They can get cap ships earlier than anyone else (and build them faster), their basic bomber is basically a slower B-Wing, they can acquire ships from other factions through piracy (ever tried dealing with a Consortium player who has B-Wings? It's not pretty), their credit income is leaps and bounds better than anyone else's, they can destroy your structures without even invading, their space stations build much faster, they don't have tech levels, their heroes can stealth and are all incredibly powerful, and their ships are really strong too, did I mention the defiler's bomb is ridiculous? There's no way to avoid it,  it can be placed anywhere, it does huge damage, and has a large area of effect. Their bombardment is easily the best, all their structures have shields, etc.

The Keldalbe's shield drain is ridiculous, and as long as the Consortium player has some gunships in there to pick off bomber spam, you can't knock out the hardpoint, because they can intercept torpedoes with point defense (only faction that has this capability, not counting the imp's juggernaut, that's a land unit nobody uses because it sucks). Plop down some buzz droids with your starvipers and watch them decimate enemy fighters. The Vengeance (idk, whichever one can cloak and has no shields) can cloak and blow up in the middle of your fleet. I could go on, but I want to get into land units.

On land, you can't touch a halfway decent Consortium player. Their buildpad structures are the best, the mass driver can kill almost anything that isn't a heavy vehicle very easily, and the proton thing can do the rest. The Canderous tank is probably the most overpowered land unit in the game, just spam these and watch your enemies die, seriously they're good against everything. The droideka is better than either  the T-2B or the AT-ST in almost every way, except hull strength, which is easily compensated for by its obscene firepower and incredible speed. The Grenadier squad, while short range, has WAY too much firepower, it can easily kill even jedi heroes in numbers, and decimates other infantry. The Merc assault squad is fine at first, until you give it disruptors, which no sane Consortium player would not do. They make swiss cheese of any other infantry, and even just 2 or 3 companies can destroy an AT-AT or a T-4B in a matter of seconds. Their artillery unit is by far the most agile and durable, and while it hasn't got as much firepower as the others, it makes up for this with its carbonite missiles that slow you down, and its good range and rate of fire. Tyber can bribe and stealth, urai can neutralize infantry and tear up all but the most powerful vehicles in seconds, and is a worthy opponent even for the most powerful force using heroes, Silri can wipe out a group of light tanks and infantry just by pressing drain life, and her rancor can take care of most large things. The Vornskr is incredibly fast and really good against infantry and heroes.

The Nightsister Rancor is agile for a unit of its power, and while not as durable as a T-4B or AT-AT, it doesn't need to be. If it gets in close, which it can quite easily, you can say goodbye to your heavy units because it will kill them very quickly. I'm not really sure about the ewok handler because I don't use them much, but I can easily see them being overpowered too. Did I mention you can spam defiler armies which can stealth past any space defenses? They have 2 bounty hunters, allowing them to easily eliminate any heroes which might be a threat to them at a planet they want to attack.  How could I forget the pulse gun tank? Get a few of these and pair them up with some canderous tanks and infantry or droidekas, and you are basically invulnerable. Oh, and even if you do somehow manage to lose, its okay, you can just blow them up and take half the enemy army with you! Bossk isn't that great on the ground compared to other consortium heroes, but is still very powerful. IG-88 has tons of AoE damage and can shoot you with his fast firing, very powerful blasters from long range, and is also very very fast.

Oh, I almost forgot, the M9-TZ transport, while unarmed, doesn't need to be armed! Just load this thing up with your heroes and some merc troopers with disruptors, and drive right past all your enemy's defenses! Then unload them, blow up power generators, turbolasers, and factories, and call in a bombing run and your bombardment, which is the best, when they come to retaliate!

The Consortium might be fine if you're fighting the AI, but if you're fighting a player who has ANY brain cells at all, you don't really have a chance. I played with my friend who is about equal skill level to me, with me as Consortium, and even refusing to use Sabotage and some of the consortium's other most  overpowered tools, it still wasn't a fair fight, and I ended up blowing up most of his fleet using Hack Deathstar when he  got the Deathstar and was taking it from planet to planet with a "doom fleet".

Note: Some of these conditions do not apply to skirmish, skirmish is more balanced, but the consortium is still overpowered.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 09:53:22 PM by Senza »

September 11, 2012, 02:17:28 PMReply #87

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2012, 02:17:28 PM »
All of the factions in base are ridiculously OP if you play them right, but the Consortium is by far the most OP. They can get cap ships earlier than anyone else (and build them faster), their basic bomber is basically a slower B-Wing, they can acquire ships from other factions through piracy (ever tried dealing with a Consortium player who has B-Wings? It's not pretty), their credit income is leaps and bounds better than anyone else's, they can destroy your structures without even invading, their space stations build much faster, they don't have tech levels, their heroes can stealth and are all incredibly powerful, and their ships are really strong too, did I mention the defiler's bomb is ridiculous? There's no way to avoid it,  it can be placed anywhere, it does huge damage, and has a large area of effect. Their bombardment is easily the best, all their structures have shields, etc.

The Keldalbe's shield drain is ridiculous, and as long as the Consortium player has some gunships in there to pick off bomber spam, you can't knock out the hardpoint, because they can intercept torpedoes with point defense (only faction that has this capability, not counting the imp's juggernaut, that's a land unit nobody uses because it sucks). Plop down some buzz droids with your starvipers and watch them decimate enemy fighters. The Vengeance (idk, whichever one can cloak and has no shields) can cloak and blow up in the middle of your fleet. I could go on, but I want to get into land units.

On land, you can't touch a halfway decent Consortium player. Their buildpad structures are the best, the mass driver can kill almost anything that isn't a heavy vehicle very easily, and the proton thing can do the rest. The Canderous tank is probably the most overpowered land unit in the game, just spam these and watch your enemies die, seriously they're good against everything. The droideka is better than either  the T-2B or the AT-ST in almost every way, except hull strength, which is easily compensated for by its obscene firepower and incredible speed. The Grenadier squad, while short range, has WAY too much firepower, it can easily kill even jedi heroes in numbers, and decimates other infantry. The Merc assault squad is fine at first, until you give it disruptors, which no sane Consortium player would not do. They make swiss cheese of any other infantry, and even just 2 or 3 companies can destroy an AT-AT or a T-4B in a matter of seconds. Their artillery unit is by far the most agile and durable, and while it hasn't got as much firepower as the others, it makes up for this with its carbonite missiles that slow you down, and its good range and rate of fire. Tyber can bribe and stealth, urai can neutralize infantry and tear up all but the most powerful vehicles in seconds, and is a worthy opponent even for the most powerful force using heroes, Silri can wipe out a group of light tanks and infantry just by pressing drain life, and her rancor can take care of most large things. The Vornskr is incredibly fast and really good against infantry and heroes.

The Nightsister Rancor is agile for a unit of its power, and while not as durable as a T-4B or AT-AT, it doesn't need to be. If it gets in close, which it can quite easily, you can say goodbye to your heavy units because it will kill them very quickly. I'm not really sure about the ewok handler because I don't use them much, but I can easily see them being overpowered too. Did I mention you can spam defiler armies which can stealth past any space defenses? They have 2 bounty hunters, allowing them to easily eliminate any heroes which might be a threat to them at a planet they want to attack.  How could I forget the pulse gun tank? Get a few of these and pair them up with some canderous tanks and infantry or droidekas, and you are basically invulnerable. Oh, and even if you do somehow manage to lose, its okay, you can just blow them up and take half the enemy army with you! Bossk isn't that great on the ground compared to other consortium heroes, but is still very powerful. IG-88 has tons of AoE damage and can shoot you with his fast firing, very powerful blasters from long range, and is also very very fast.

Oh, I almost forgot, the M9-TZ transport, while unarmed, doesn't need to be armed! Just load this thing up with your heroes and some merc troopers with disruptors, and drive right past all your enemy's defenses! Then unload them, blow up power generators, turbolasers, and factories, and call in a bombing run and your bombardment, which is the best, when they come to retaliate!

The Consortium might be fine if you're fighting the AI, but if you're fighting a player who has ANY brain cells at all, you don't really have a chance. I played with my friend who is about equal skill level to me, with me as Consortium, and even refusing to use Sabotage and some of the consortium's other most  overpowered tools, it still wasn't a fair fight, and I ended up blowing up most of his fleet using Hack Deathstar when he  got the Deathstar and was taking it from planet to planet with a "doom fleet".

Note: Some of these conditions do not apply to skirmish, skirmish is more balanced, but the consortium is still overpowered.

Absolutely right. I've been playing the Outer Rim game as the Empire on medium difficulty, and was actually doing quite well. I was at tech level 3, had a small but powerful fleet (Piett, 5 VSDs, 7 Acclamators, a broadside cruiser, six tartans, boba fett, and Tarkin), and had managed to build up ground forces enough to protect me from the rebel's annoying raids (I even killed the Gargantuan twice!). Then the Consortium attacked Fondor, and I was like, "nice try!!" I let them take Fondor, and then moved in my fleet. They had nothing in space, and Tyber and Urai were on land. The battle was a success, and I killed Tyber!! I thought I would get some kind of bonus, since it was actually a mission goal. I didn't: what I got instead was an extremely mad AI. Suddenly, half my planets became corrupted, crippling my economy and ruining the game, forcing me to start over (I restarted at Tech level 5, the Consotium AI can't beat level five Imperials). I think that after the leader of a faction is killed, either that faction's AI should be disabled or you should get a HUGE credit bonus. Is there any way this could be done?
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

September 11, 2012, 03:44:35 PMReply #88

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2012, 03:44:35 PM »
Yeah I've found that Tech 5 imps are extremely overpowered as well, mostly due to the Executor only being 3 pop (which is probably the least balanced thing in the game taken on its own, its not enough to save imps against Consortium though), the imps can just fighter spam you to oblivion, and it takes expert micromanagement to counter it and win  (unless you resort to planetary ion cannon spam), at least as Rebels, consortium can just sacrifice their medium frigate to kill huge clumps of fighters. That and the fact that the ISD has like 3 times its canon fighter compliment. Really the Consortium would be a hell of a lot more balanced if it weren't for their insane credit income, I mean sure their units would still be really powerful, but all of their shit is insanely expensive compared to the other factions, unfortunately however this does not balance their income, as it is still way too high. I also think they should have to buy some sort of tech to unlock their capital ships off the black market, make it insanely expensive, that would keep them from fielding fleets of Keldalbes and those giant gun ships i can't remember the name of while the Rebels and Imps are still using mostly VSDs and Assault Frigates.

As for killing the faction's leader, that only comes into play in certain GCs, where you win if you kill the leader.

September 11, 2012, 03:49:30 PMReply #89

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 11, 2012, 03:49:30 PM »
Aggressor's is the name and ship killing's the game.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

September 11, 2012, 03:58:21 PMReply #90

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2012, 03:58:21 PM »
Yeah, that's it, the Agressor. That thing is ridiculous, I honestly think it's better than the Keldalbe since it's easier to spam, and packs a huge punch to boot.

September 11, 2012, 05:35:31 PMReply #91

Offline z741

• Brevet Admiral
  • Harbinger of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 11, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »
as i said the ig88 hacking death star is the worst thing but i can kill them with either faction. IF you have half a brain and arent a whiny ass noob you would know how to play the game and counter anything and everything thrown at you. ive been stuck on this game and a few mods since it and they came out.
It is the haters!

September 11, 2012, 05:52:47 PMReply #92

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 11, 2012, 05:52:47 PM »
as i said the ig88 hacking death star is the worst thing but i can kill them with either faction. IF you have half a brain and arent a whiny ass noob you would know how to play the game and counter anything and everything thrown at you. ive been stuck on this game and a few mods since it and they came out.

Insulting people doesn't get you anywhere, in Skirmish the Consortium might be OKAY but in Galactic Conquest they are grossly overpowered and the only way you can't see this is if you've never played against a player who had half a brain in GC.

September 11, 2012, 06:38:51 PMReply #93

Offline z741

• Brevet Admiral
  • Harbinger of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 11, 2012, 06:38:51 PM »
im not insulting anyone i merely call it how i see it.

ZC isnt really that overpowered imho

they are like an older car with a carb motor. slow to start but once they both get going they hard to stop.
It is the haters!

September 11, 2012, 06:41:35 PMReply #94

Offline Senza

• Vice Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 11, 2012, 06:41:35 PM »
Your exact words were "whiny ass noob". The consortium doesn't start slow, they don't even have tech levels, so they can start faster than anyone else.

September 12, 2012, 01:48:42 PMReply #95

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2012, 01:48:42 PM »
Just FYI z741: I'm not saying the Consortium as a whole is overpowered. In my opinion, The only really OP abilities are Cloak and Corruption, as Defilers are cheap and can be used to cripple another player's economy, and there is no way to detect them. The only way to beat the Consortium is to mobilize quickly and start taking them down, while fortifying your borders against the other faction. If you are battened down, you really don't have to worry about the other faction. For example, as I play as the Empire: in space you need a hyper velocity cannon, a level 3 space station, a Broadside cruiser, a few Tartans, four Acclamators and two VSDs to keep most rebel fleets at bay. If the rebels try to raid (which they will with the Gargantuan) you need a shield generator, infantry, AT-ST's for the barrage area, Turbolasers (optional), SPMA-T (optional) a heavy vehicle factory, and some 2-M tanks. Hey, I beat the Gargantuan with six 2-Ms and a squad of AT-STs.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

September 16, 2012, 01:58:46 PMReply #96

Offline Lavo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2012, 01:58:46 PM »
Ah yes, the Consortium. I remember loading them up and looking at their stats back in the day... I still remember being baffled that Bossk's concussion missiles do more damage per missile than a Y-Wing's proton torpedo, yet it's faster, more maneuverable, and can hit fighters. Then there's their shielded structures and vehicles, which is ridiculously OP. Oh and their main base complex has the credit output of multiple mines, all while being cheaper. I really have no idea what Petro was thinking when they made the Consortium, when they're so blatantly OP. Makes me glad I nerfed the hell out of them back when I made the Hull Breach mod.

October 12, 2012, 03:23:55 PMReply #97

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 12, 2012, 03:23:55 PM »
I think that their main weaknesses are the fact that they do not have turbolasers or base shields. True, their buildings are shielded, but not very well.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

October 18, 2012, 09:21:00 AMReply #98

Offline z741

• Brevet Admiral
  • Harbinger of Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2012, 09:21:00 AM »
ZC is slow to start. yes they get cap ships at level 5 stations but it takes time to get there. as i said, like a carb motor.
slow to start hard to stop when they get rollin

It is the haters!

October 18, 2012, 05:08:21 PMReply #99

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2012, 05:08:21 PM »
ZC is slow to start. yes they get cap ships at level 5 stations but it takes time to get there. as i said, like a carb motor.
slow to start hard to stop when they get rollin

Yep. One strategy I found useful as the Rebels is raids. They have so many good ground heroes, and MPTLs are the best artillery in the vanilla. It also seems that when playing as the Empire (in the vanilla) that you don't really have to worry about the Rebels, because all they do is hit and runs in space and raids on the ground. This allows you to concentrate on the Zann front and on saving up for Vader (it's way better to buy him than the DS II). Once you have him, though, DON'T AUTORESOLVE! Once, the Consortium threw a Starviper squadron at the Executor, and I autoresolved and lost Vader!

Recently I've been playing AC, and am happy to find that the Rebels are more of an adversary. They also blunted the Consotium's most devastating corruption ability: the one that prevented garrison units from spawning. Now that's fine for Rebels, since they can build fighters, but for us Empire players it cripples our ability to fight as it robs us of our fighters.
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Grand Admiral Thrawn

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!