Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Zann Consortium-Overpowered?  (Read 138347 times)

October 12, 2008, 12:33:29 AM

Rend_and_Maim

Zann Consortium-Overpowered?
« on: October 12, 2008, 12:33:29 AM »
Okay, after playing a long as hell GC as the Consortium, I have concluded that they are undoubtedly unbalanced. I will list my reasons why here:

Heroes:Not only do they have Zan who can bribe his way through half your forces and mow down infantry with his rigged shotgun but they have Silri who can just keep re-summoning her rancor over and over again not to mention that Urai Fenn does enormous damage to just about everything(since when do metal blades slice through armour meant to deflect blasters?). They also possess the ability to sneak past fleets and go down to the planet directly, it's plenty easy to solo ground defences with those three heroes.

Infantry:This is most defiantly(at least in my opinion) where the Consortium is nearly unbeatable. Grenadiers are way too strong for a base unit and can probably kill most light and even some medium vehicles with relative ease. Merc assult squads are crap until you get them disrupters, when you get them disrupters they turn into probably one of the most overpowered units in the game. They can easily take down AT-AT's and T4-b's, have anti-air capabilities, and completely eradicate infantry and buildings without a scratch. If it were up to me, I would remove Merc assault squads entirely.

Tanks and light Vehicles:
Is it just me, or do the 2 tanks the Consortium have seem to have almost no counters short of massed PLEX soldiers or Dark troopers(3)? Those pulse tanks can one shot light vehicles or at least nearly one shot them and Canderous Assult tanks are overpowered in just about every way possible, I won't even go into reason with them as they aren't balanced at all.

Space Fleets:
The Consortium space fleets aren't terribly overpowered despite their Aggressor capitol ships. The Aggressor's super cannon has the cooldown of a typical laser battery can can wipe out a hardpoint in one shot.

Misc/other issues:The 'Corrupt Militia' and 'Bribery' I personally think are somewhat lame as well as their ability to bribe their way past your heavily defended planets and attack your nearly undefended planets tends to get irritating.

So, thoughts? Opinions? ???

October 12, 2008, 01:40:40 AMReply #1

Offline Scarecrow63

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +37/-30
  • In internet speak, vowels are the first casualty
    • View Profile
Re: Zann Consortium-Overpowered?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 01:40:40 AM »
I completely agree. You can defend a planet in space only needing a space station and about 5 of those mass driver ships.  It doesnt matter how many star destroyers they throw at you those things just gun them down.
Isn't in the bath, he prefers the shower

October 12, 2008, 10:06:12 AMReply #2

Rend_and_Maim

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »
Yep, and don't forget if your about to destroy them, they can simply use invisibility and run away.

October 12, 2008, 12:36:42 PMReply #3

Offline Scarecrow63

• Former Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +37/-30
  • In internet speak, vowels are the first casualty
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:36:42 PM »
Or just get in close and self-destruct
Isn't in the bath, he prefers the shower

October 12, 2008, 07:01:31 PMReply #4

Offline Delta 07

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-20
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:01:31 PM »
what about ig-88's destroy death star and planet with fleet orbiting it. i think thats overpowered or watever

October 12, 2008, 09:26:43 PMReply #5

Rend_and_Maim

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 09:26:43 PM »
Yeah, I forgot about that, never used it because the AI never builds the Death Star, but yes that is completely overpowered.  >:(

October 12, 2008, 09:54:13 PMReply #6

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2008, 09:54:13 PM »
Heh, thats better'n a guy over on Petro Forums.  He was asking how to make a Rogue Squadron type unit for the Consortium because "they have nothing to counter the Death Stars"  ::)
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

October 12, 2008, 11:56:54 PMReply #7

Rend_and_Maim

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2008, 11:56:54 PM »
Lol, what a dumbass.

October 14, 2008, 05:15:28 AMReply #8

Offline dreadcall

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 05:15:28 AM »

Space Fleets:
The Consortium space fleets aren't terribly overpowered despite their Aggressor capitol ships. The Aggressor's super cannon has the cooldown of a typical laser battery can can wipe out a hardpoint in one shot.

This is the one part i disagree with. Aggressors are taken apart quite easily, turn damn slow so  just attack them from the side or send bombers for their big guns, those can be taken out  quickly. But yeah if you can protect them they'll obliterate any capships.

The ones overpowered IMO are the vipers, they can rape just about any fighters and are great at protecting skiprays which has firepower that compares to defenders and b-wings. And you get em at tech 1 lol.

The other problem i see is that their fleets have tons of useful abilities, naturally they should have weaker units and have them compensate with their great abilities. However, most of their ships can stand toe-to-toe against the comparable ships of other factions, so those abilities make them op.

October 14, 2008, 12:25:27 PMReply #9

Offline vadereclipse

• Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +28/-27
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 12:25:27 PM »
starvipers were worst on 1.0. a 25-squadron swarm would destroy any fleet. luckily, it was weakened.
with an aggressor, destroy the megacannons, and it's weaker than a Nebulon-B.

October 16, 2008, 06:26:58 PMReply #10

Rend_and_Maim

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2008, 06:26:58 PM »
It's not always that easy, lol. But I think the most overpowered things are Merc Assault squads, as soon as you get disrupters, just swarm enemies with them on ground combat. It's a real bitch. >:(

October 17, 2008, 10:07:15 PMReply #11

Offline Ahdanack030

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +7/-2
  • I composar uv teh moozikz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 10:07:15 PM »
Pardon me if I'm stating the obvious, but FoC seems to have turned EaW into a spam storm. I mean, it's easy to win as the cons by just building one type of unit, so the other side has to focus on the type of unit to counter that. IMO, the only good matchups are Reb .V. Imp

October 18, 2008, 03:51:54 AMReply #12

Offline vadereclipse

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 03:51:54 AM »
It's not always that easy, lol. But I think the most overpowered things are Merc Assault squads, as soon as you get disrupters, just swarm enemies with them on ground combat. It's a real bitch. >:(
agreed. although you have to admit, they are awesome.
with the krayts, i always end up diverting all forces, prioritising them, as they are effectively ultra-heavy broadsides. they will DESTROY you if ignored. unlike a broadsides, they have a heavy health bar.sO, Krayts need to be prioritised above all others. although Keldabes are more powerful, it can't obliterate the shield in one barrage.

November 13, 2008, 06:01:45 PMReply #13

Offline Corusca Fire

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +11/-9
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
I think that the consortium space is overpowered because they don't have tech level restrictions. That is suppoed to be balanced out by the lack of abilities until purchase, but their ships are powerful already, including BOTH of their capitals.

November 16, 2008, 09:15:39 PMReply #14

Rend_and_Maim

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:15:39 PM »
What pisses me off the most is that the Consortium, a pirate faction which shouldn't be able to get top of the line ships, has better then ships then both the Empire and the Rebellion. Hello? they are PIRATES, they should have outdated cheap shit and maybe if their lucky, a few stolen craft but no state of the art Keldablies or Canderous assault tanks. >:(

November 18, 2008, 01:16:52 PMReply #15

Offline vadereclipse

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 01:16:52 PM »
Pirates-steal high-quality ships and their tech.
no R&D, hence lower costs than you'd think.

November 20, 2008, 07:21:36 PMReply #16

Offline subame

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2008, 07:21:36 PM »
I think that the consortium space is overpowered because they don't have tech level restrictions. That is supposed to be balanced out by the lack of abilities until purchase, but their ships are powerful already, including BOTH of their capitals.
Makes the game more challenging; and makes them more fun to shoot down, i mean fight. :angel:
"There are too few idealists in this universe,-"Thrawn

November 20, 2008, 08:25:38 PMReply #17

Offline dreadcall

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2008, 08:25:38 PM »
That's true, it also makes playing them boring though.

November 21, 2008, 02:33:22 AMReply #18

Offline vadereclipse

• Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2008, 02:33:22 AM »
loss after loss at the hands of the ZC is no fun, though.

November 21, 2008, 02:34:40 PMReply #19

Offline siegfried1

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +2/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2008, 02:34:40 PM »
I hate playing against the ZC because they keep on blowing up my barracks and mining facility.
But courage which goes against military expediency is stupidity, or, if it is insisted upon by a commander, irresponsibility.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.
In a man-to-man fight, the winner is he who has one more round in his magazine.
Sweat saves blood.
(Erwin Rommel, the most awesome person to ever live)

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!