Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: More units from Dark Empire?  (Read 2204 times)

November 04, 2019, 11:09:53 AM

Offline Barbagli

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
More units from Dark Empire?
« on: November 04, 2019, 11:09:53 AM »
Hey guys, I know that Dark Empire has never been the greatest entry in the old lore - Dark Empire II is especially atrocious in my opinion - but that's my two cents:

Since we got the XR85 droid tank in-game - a vehicle that, as far as I know, appeared in just one shot of the first issue-, couldn't we get some SD-series droid as well?
You should be able to make 'em quite easily - I guess - by editing the already-existing model of the Dark Troopers 3rd series. I miss the Dark Troopers a lot, so I may be biased.

Also, the Shadow Droids. I know that the principle around these guys is quite absurd - built around brains of dead fellas and empowered god-knows-how with the Dark Side - but they could be just a rarity. Like, the Modular Frigate could spawn three standard TIE-D and just one squadron of these dudes. It should be a nice addition as a powerful yet rare fighter for the Imps.

I abstain from mentioning the X1 Automatons or the Chrysalide Rancors 'cause they're totally hideous even for my taste.
Whaddaya think, gentlemen?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2019, 11:12:06 AM by Barbagli »

November 06, 2019, 10:45:29 AMReply #1

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: More units from Dark Empire?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 10:45:29 AM »
Obviously not part of the team myself, but I could see the Shadow Droids being included, since we know they were used in multiple confrontations.  SD droids obviously were used a lot, but would they really offer anything new or ineresting?  They'd basically just be a robotic version of stormtroopers.  Moderately weak and cheap masses.  I don't personally see much of a point to them.

I actually LIKE the X-1 Viper Automadon, but don't see a point to it in the game.  If memory serves, we only see it used twice in all of the Dark Empire.  And both times it was against the Empire, by the bothan creators and then the New Republic...
Chrysalide Rancors I agree they're just hideous.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

November 08, 2019, 01:23:09 PMReply #2

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2019, 01:23:09 PM »
You should be able to make 'em quite easily - I guess - by editing the already-existing model of the Dark Troopers 3rd series. I miss the Dark Troopers a lot, so I may be biased.

They're really not that close to Dark Troopers, it'd probably be more work to edit the Dark Troopers to look like them than to just make them entirely from scratch. Character models (which SDs basically are) are one of the most difficult things to do, especially animations, which isn't the primary strength of anyone on the team.

The primary reason there's not more Dark Empire stuff in the mod is because it's so niche- it's typically weirder units that would gtake a lot more work to get to do whate they should in Empire at War than other stuff, for the reward of being sued by one faction in one era, so it's hard to justify doing them over the huge number of other things we have to do. Things like FotR's core rosters, updating EotH, fleshing out Hapes, even updating the NR/Ir core units are also still ongoing, so it's hard to justify making those units of limited use. I'm not saying none of it will ever happen, but that's typically why it hasn't so far.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

November 10, 2019, 07:29:30 PMReply #3

Offline Barbagli

• Stormtrooper
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2019, 07:29:30 PM »
Automadons were basically unbeatable in the comics though, they could even capture and take down fighters with their arms. If one wants to put them in the game and save just a bit of  consistency with the comic version, they would destroy the balance in ground battles. Those fellas were completely immune to laser fire etc. I don't like 'cause I look at them as part of the absurd proliferation of "ultimate weapons" which makes Dark Empire's plot so silly. :(

As for the Shadow Droids, I really hope we could see them one day. Glad to hear  I'm not alone. A powerful fighter for the Imps, scarce in numbers and rare to be seen, could come out as a nice addition without hampering the general balance.

Regarding the SD Droids, uhm, I cannot disagree about anything ya'll said. But I actually don't think they would be just pumped up stormtroops - first of all they were depicted as being 3-4 meters tall or something like that as far as I remember, so they would look more like the old Dark Troopers Phase II. About the animations I have absolutely no knowledge on such issues: I just thought that, being droids with cannons attached to their arms, they could just stand and fire like Phase III Dark Troopers, thus the animations could be recycled. But I totally agree that they would be just a nitpicky addition.

Thanks for your answers.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!