Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Several Graphical Glitches  (Read 1860 times)

August 27, 2018, 10:35:43 PM

necxelos

Several Graphical Glitches
« on: August 27, 2018, 10:35:43 PM »
Hello

I just installed Your mod and while I think it's best of all the star wars mods out there I also found several obvious glitches out there:
- Imperial Galactic Gun that You have from the beginning as empire faction has the building like zoom-out icon yet it behaves like ship icon (rotates as the gun rotates). Looks inconsistent and made it really hard to read what that thing is in the beginning.
- All the resource asteroids have graphic of a respectevie extractor that should be built on them. There is no actual asteroid at all. This also means there is no difference between built extractor and empty asteroid as both look like extractor itself without the asteroid.
- On faction selection screen several icons showing faction specific stuff are off by 10 pixels or so. Looks inconsistent. For me the "off" ones are Empress Space Station and MC90 Star Cruiser in New Republic for example, but every faction has several of those off icons.

Thanks in advance for Your reply.
P.S. Just out of curiosity - is this final version or is it still being developed/regularly updated. I might be bad at googling but newest file I found on moddb is from december last year so nearly year ago. Unless moddb isn't primary site for this mod and I didn't realize that :D

August 28, 2018, 12:32:40 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Several Graphical Glitches
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 12:32:40 AM »
- Imperial Galactic Gun that You have from the beginning as empire faction has the building like zoom-out icon yet it behaves like ship icon (rotates as the gun rotates). Looks inconsistent and made it really hard to read what that thing is in the beginning.

This is true of any station that rotates- the choices are either have it conform to other structure icons, which makes most sense even if it means that the text isn't always oriented to the camera, or you do it like a ship icona nd people get confused when it doesn't behave like a ship.

- All the resource asteroids have graphic of a respectevie extractor that should be built on them. There is no actual asteroid at all. This also means there is no difference between built extractor and empty asteroid as both look like extractor itself without the asteroid.

That's because they're facilities that you're manning, not asteroids. The main overview makes it pretty clear what's going on with them, you're rarely administrating that stuff from the tactical-level so the built and unbuilt ones having the same model isn't really a problem.

- On faction selection screen several icons showing faction specific stuff are off by 10 pixels or so. Looks inconsistent. For me the "off" ones are Empress Space Station and MC90 Star Cruiser in New Republic for example, but every faction has several of those off icons.

We'll take a look and see if we can adjust them more.

P.S. Just out of curiosity - is this final version or is it still being developed/regularly updated. I might be bad at googling but newest file I found on moddb is from december last year so nearly year ago. Unless moddb isn't primary site for this mod and I didn't realize that :D

It is still in development- mod development takes a while, and we have three mods on the go, so for the last while our focus was on updating the one which hadn't had a new full release in 4 years, Imperial civil War. Ascendancy is about to have a fairly substantial balance overhaul patch before we move on to the next playable faction.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

August 28, 2018, 08:19:30 AMReply #2

necxelos

Re: Several Graphical Glitches
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »
Thanks for awesomely quick answer - this to me is the best proof that You guys are alive and kicking and so is the mod - best wishes to You all :)

As for points:
This is true of any station that rotates- the choices are either have it conform to other structure icons, which makes most sense even if it means that the text isn't always oriented to the camera, or you do it like a ship icona nd people get confused when it doesn't behave like a ship.

How come other buildings have fixed icons to the camera than? Is it hardcoded so You can't fake being static on a rotating object? And if that's the case maybe the solution would be 3rd type of icon, specifically designed for such rotating facilities?

That's because they're facilities that you're manning, not asteroids. The main overview makes it pretty clear what's going on with them, you're rarely administrating that stuff from the tactical-level so the built and unbuilt ones having the same model isn't really a problem.

Fluff-wise that explanation meakes sense for post-imperial and well developed worlds but absolutely no sense for hellhole-worlds where resources would be the only reason anyone shows there in the first place. Not to mention they are stilll mining facilities so there should be at least an asteroid attached to them, even assuming those facilities are already pre-built.

Also description in-the-game still says "Contains common metal resources. Build Extractor here to acquire them." so there's that.

Thanks

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!