Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Boba Fett movie confirmed. Are you guys interested? Obi Wan rumors.  (Read 4062 times)

June 14, 2018, 05:31:56 PM

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +3/-0
    • View Profile
Sorry if there's already a topic about this somewhere, I figured somebody would have mentioned it by now.

Anyway, Boba Fett movie is confirmed. Here's a link.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/star-wars/17775/star-wars-boba-fett-movie-coming-from-james-mangold

I'm actively boycotting myself anyway, but even if I wasn't I have to say I've never understood why the fandom cares about Boba at all. He's on screen for like 5 minutes and "dies" like a clown.

Imo the movie is dead on arrival. A lot of hardcore fans are boycotting. The general public has no idea who Boba Fett is and SW hype is dead so they won't go. So all that leaves is casual fans and hardcore fans who aren't boycotting. If this movie has a similar budget to Solo it has no chance.

The article also mentions rumors of an Obi Wan movie with Ewan McGregor. I like Ewan and I thought he did a great Obi Wan but let's be real here for a second guys. Obi Wan is one of the few loveable character that Disney hasn't ruined yet. Do we really want them to have that opportunity?

June 16, 2018, 02:47:22 AMReply #1

Offline Guderian

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +7/-1
    • View Profile
Well from what i heard about the Obi-Wan Movie:
The movie will only play on Tatooine and he has to deal with a conflict between the Tusken and the local Farmers....
sounds very exciting...........
So hard pass on the Obi Wan Movie if that is really the plot.

About the Boba Fett Movie
i don't know, i though it would be interesting to go into the Star Wars Underworld
but apparently they somewhat tried it in the Han Solo movie and it bombed, still have to watch that one.

If they reveal some Plot Details maybe i can judge better wether or not a Boba Fett Movie might work.

June 16, 2018, 06:42:15 AMReply #2

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
Well from what i heard about the Obi-Wan Movie:
The movie will only play on Tatooine and he has to deal with a conflict between the Tusken and the local Farmers....
sounds very exciting...........
So hard pass on the Obi Wan Movie if that is really the plot.
They already did that in Legends so I imagine a movie would have a bit more to it.  But just because it's part of Star Wars doesn't mean it has to be all lasers and space combat.  I'd quite like to see Disney try and broaden the pool rather like they've allowed Marvel to do with some of those movies, so a decent character-driven piece with Ewan McGregor could be good.

About the Boba Fett Movie
i don't know, i though it would be interesting to go into the Star Wars Underworld
but apparently they somewhat tried it in the Han Solo movie and it bombed, still have to watch that one.
Can't comment on the Solo side of things as I've not seen that yet (this afternoon!) but honestly the idea of a Boba Fett movie just holds no interest for me right now.  The character has so little screen time or development in the OT and PT that I've no real investment in seeing more of him.  Sure, there's a lot of room to play with to fill in his story (again!) between Geonosis and ESB but I don't see what the key would be to latch on.

If you go towards the early end of the timeline you've essentially got a child/teen space orphan wannabe bounty hunter, which might work as another "origin" type story, but that's following straight on from Rogue One where Jyn was orphaned and grew up with mercenary Saw Gerrera, Solo (I assume) will have some sort of background of Han being an orphan and growing up with smugglers or Wookiees or something.  In the main ST you've got Rey as an orphan looking for her place in the world.  Cross franchises and you've got Star Lord growing up with mercenaries over in the Marvelverse and Spiderman picking up Tony Stark as mentor.

On the other hand if you stick to the more familiar/iconic armour-wearing Fett at the other end of the timeline you've then got a hell of a lot of heavy lifting to set the scene at the start so everyone understands where we are and how we got there (whether or not they use a get-out-of-jail-free text crawl) and your hero is in full-body outfit.  Alright that worked for Marvel with Iron Man and Deadpool, but both Tony Stark and Wade start out without the suit and are much more jocular and engaging characters (plus fourth-wall-breaking in Deadpool) than the monosyllabic Fett we've seen previously.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 16, 2018, 01:15:05 PMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
While I deeply like Ewan Mcgregor as Obi Wan(easily one of the best parts of the prequels) I don't think the story has anything new to offer-unless there's a forbidden romance between Tuskens and the settlers and Ewan plays Pocahontas...

As to Boba Fett...no, I don't have any real hope for that one.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 17, 2018, 12:11:28 AMReply #4

Offline turtle225

• Brevet Admiral
    • View Profile
My main concern with the Obi Wan movie is that there isn't any room in the story/timeline for him to do anything without contradicting the original trilogy/Revenge of the Sith. If he leaves Tatooine to go do cool things than it undermines his decision to HIDE and protect Luke. Not go running around saving the galaxy or whatever. You think Palps and Vader would not be keeping their eyes out for the single most threatening person to their regime who they know is alive (Or maybe that's Yoda idk).

So if Disney actually respects the existing movies and characters (what a concept) then Obi-Wan is stuck on Tatooine and I don't think that leaves a lot of room for an interesting story. And if he makes a huge scene on Tatooine than that still manages to contradict the older movies. We know from A New Hope that the empire eventually has a presence there.

I've mentioned this before and some have disagreed, but just imagine if the Thrawn Trilogy had been the revival of Star Wars and that Disney didn't RIP the extended universe. It would have been so much better. Almost anything would have been better. Though I guess we also have to assume in this hypothetical that Disney isn't being run by a bunch of loons who actively hate on and insult the fans and that the movie directors aren't the clowns we have now.

June 17, 2018, 04:42:14 AMReply #5

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
That wojuld be a lot of change. Basicly the whole Lucasfilm leadership to start with.
About the Boba fett movie, not interested. At all.
We had the nitty-gritty underworld in Solo, and I am not interested in Boba falling in love with a STRONG FEMALE LEAD in what should be his movie.
About the Obi-Wan movie, pass as well. If he doens't leave tatooine, it would be very limited in what it could do, and if he leaves, then it contradicts everything.
The only loophole I see is that he has a ship back then as he had to arrive tatooine on somehing(Maybe using Padme's ship?) unless he pulled a Leia and flown trough space. (Ugh... still too soon...) and he goes to Dagobah to ask something important from Yoda or something and gets tangled up in some minor conflict, and has to think around the issue to help without revealing himself.
Would also explain how he didn't have a ship as he could lose it in the movie.
But yeah. Bullshit from begging to end.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

June 17, 2018, 04:45:33 AMReply #6

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
    • View Profile
Given that Rogue One is about putting together a team to steal the Death Star plans, and Solo is about putting together a team to do the Kessel Run, I can put money on the Boba Fett movie being about putting together a team to go after a big bounty.

June 17, 2018, 07:56:16 PMReply #7

Offline Revanchist

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +42/-5
  • I am Revan reborn. And before me you are nothing.
    • View Profile
Given that Rogue One is about putting together a team to steal the Death Star plans, and Solo is about putting together a team to do the Kessel Run, I can put money on the Boba Fett movie being about putting together a team to go after a big bounty.

Maul obviously. Then Vader will come in at the end and we'll have the long awaited Vader vs. Maul fight

They already did that in Legends so I imagine a movie would have a bit more to it.  But just because it's part of Star Wars doesn't mean it has to be all lasers and space combat.  I'd quite like to see Disney try and broaden the pool rather like they've allowed Marvel to do with some of those movies, so a decent character-driven piece with Ewan McGregor could be good.

And for those who haven't read that book, do yourself a favor and pick it up. It is fantastic.

On the other hand if you stick to the more familiar/iconic armour-wearing Fett at the other end of the timeline you've then got a hell of a lot of heavy lifting to set the scene at the start so everyone understands where we are and how we got there (whether or not they use a get-out-of-jail-free text crawl) and your hero is in full-body outfit.  Alright that worked for Marvel with Iron Man and Deadpool, but both Tony Stark and Wade start out without the suit and are much more jocular and engaging characters (plus fourth-wall-breaking in Deadpool) than the monosyllabic Fett we've seen previously.

Let's not forget how divisive a character Fett is as well. You have people that love him and those who hate him, with very little in between. IMO an interesting take would be Boba post-Sarlacc. Make it so before the incident he really was just an average bounty hunter, but he was able to live off his father's reputation. Now that he was so ignominiously defeated he has lost everything, he is the laughingstock of the bounty hunting community. Time to step up his game and earn a reputation as the galaxy's greatest bounty hunter.
"History is on the move, Captain. Those who cannot keep up will be left behind, to watch from a distance. And those who stand in our way will not watch at all."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

"But...it was so artistically done."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

Member of the Imperial Alignment

June 30, 2018, 02:29:07 AMReply #8

Offline Deep Thought

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Echani Duelist
    • View Profile
Don't mean to be a killjoy, but you're giving Disney's exec's WAAAAY too much credit.

Frankly until we boycott their empty worthless stories, they're going to continue to rape and murder what we loved about the series before our very eyes. They've proven with their other movies they're too chincy to use the comic materials the fans love so long as they can win audiences with empty visual effects that any fool can make by throwing $$ at it. Frankly it proves Disney has become the Microsoft of the Entertainment industry.

So no. No I won't be seeing it in theaters unless someone who is not shackled by the godless mouse creates it.
There are those who say "May the odds be ever in your favor,"...
Then there are those like me who say "Never tell me the odds!"

June 30, 2018, 04:31:05 AMReply #9

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
Frankly until we boycott their empty worthless stories, they're going to continue to rape and murder what we loved about the series before our very eyes. They've proven with their other movies they're too chincy to use the comic materials the fans love so long as they can win audiences with empty visual effects that any fool can make by throwing $$ at it.
Such broad-brush statements.  So far I don't think anything Disney have done is any worse than what came before it, either from Lucas' own hands or EU writers.  Also I consider myself a Star Wars fan, both of the movies/TV and Legends EU, but have never looked at so much as a single SW comic so that's certainly not something I "love" or particularly care to see adapted.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!