Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Solo [WITH SPOILER]  (Read 5134 times)

May 24, 2018, 10:35:58 AM

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
Solo [WITH SPOILER]
« on: May 24, 2018, 10:35:58 AM »

LAST WARNING / SPOILER

Hello,

I've seen the movie yesterday. I've found it a little bellow Rogue One with a start I found not much interesting and a bad ending but the rest (from the time Chewie joins to the time Lando left) was good. If there wasn't that ending and the appearance of Maul, well it would may the best Disney movie so far for me. Well see if the next spin-off (Obi-Wan ?) can do better.

The Legends fans would see some references to Lando's trilogy from the 80s. Other specific topic in the movie you want to discuss ? Feel free :)

May 24, 2018, 12:50:06 PMReply #1

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
  • Approval: +44/-4
  • Don't fear your Demons. Make them fear YOU.
    • View Profile
Re: Solo [WITH SPOILER]
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 12:50:06 PM »
I don't plan on watching this...thing...
By boycotting this and the next star wars episode, just like I did with 8, I wish to show disney that what they are doing is not quite all right...
Of course I watch them later, but I don't want to feel like I felt with 7.
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 24, 2018, 01:12:59 PMReply #2

Offline Mika-Chan, A.I yandere

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +21/-12
  • Totally not playing Doki Doki Literature Club
    • View Profile
    • steam account of anime
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 01:12:59 PM »
I don't plan on watching this...thing...
Im with dave
Discord: Discord-Chan#2051

I dont have multiple personality disorder im just crazy(its the good crazy)

also admiring my senpai

92% of teens have moved on to (c)rap. if you are one of the 8% who listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

for mando'a translation http://www.mandoa.org/

May 24, 2018, 01:35:35 PMReply #3

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 01:35:35 PM »
I'm with Dave on this. I'm not giving money to a that effectively told fans to piss off and deal with it while producing subpar cash grabs.
I'll review the bootleg version so I can judge the films flaws and merits-which if it follows the pattern will be decent special effects,visuals and acting but pointless and disjointed plot with very poor story or world building.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

May 24, 2018, 01:41:40 PMReply #4

Offline tlmiller

• Tester
  • Moff
  • Approval: +56/-9
  • Don't turn around you moron, ATTACK!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2018, 01:41:40 PM »
Also with Dave.  I paid to see VII, I made sure not to see anything else in the theatres.  And was very glad on VIII I hadn't.
People should not be afraid of their government...governments should be afraid of their people.

May 24, 2018, 02:51:14 PMReply #5

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2018, 02:51:14 PM »
I think I'll make a poll on this. Haven't expected such a support so fast
"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby become a monster.
And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche

May 25, 2018, 04:23:00 AMReply #6

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2018, 04:23:00 AM »

It's good to show them what you do not like but I wish people show them what they like too. There's many people "boycotting" but on the other hand there's just a handful of dedicated fans who support the Legends.

May 25, 2018, 05:10:31 AMReply #7

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2018, 05:10:31 AM »
Reporting for duty!
I did buy EU books when I could after Disney bought Star Wars.

May 26, 2018, 08:46:26 PMReply #8

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2018, 08:46:26 PM »
Surprising I enjoyed this film.

It wasnt great but it was enjoyable.

If i did my Star Wars ranking again
1. ESB
2. ANH
3. R0
4. Solo
5. RoTJ
6. RotS
7. TLJ
8. PM
9. AotC
10. TFA
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

June 16, 2018, 11:22:59 AMReply #9

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2018, 11:22:59 AM »
Just saw this today and I really don't get all the hate.  For me this edges out Rogue One near the top of my list of SW movies because the story flowed better and I found I cared more about the new characters than I did in RO or TLJ and the characterisation of the familiar didn't feel too alien.

Lando's sassy female droid was a nice reflection of Legends (I know Vuffi was male) with a modern twist and also that nod to the Mindharp of Sharu was good for those versed in Legends material.  Having Lando keep and then lose the Falcon while cheating at Sabacc was quite funny but the way I figure it that still leaves plenty of scope for a future movie to explain the whole "double-crossing no good swindler" thing from ESB alongside tying up that Crimson Dawn story with Maul and the love interest.

All in all I really enjoyed the movie, with the only "off" bits for me being the boss lady on Corellia (who just reminded me of the librarian from Monsters University) and the space alien during the Kessel Run.  I'm surprised but quite glad that they didn't dump TFA's Maz Kanata into the second Sabacc scene although my head-canon has already turned that into her crib.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 16, 2018, 01:19:03 PMReply #10

Offline Lord Xizer

• Tester
  • Grand Moff
  • Approval: +134/-14
  • Nothing shall withstand my ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2018, 01:19:03 PM »
Just saw this today and I really don't get all the hate.  For me this edges out Rogue One near the top of my list of SW movies because the story flowed better and I found I cared more about the new characters than I did in RO or TLJ and the characterisation of the familiar didn't feel too alien.

Lando's sassy female droid was a nice reflection of Legends (I know Vuffi was male) with a modern twist and also that nod to the Mindharp of Sharu was good for those versed in Legends material.  Having Lando keep and then lose the Falcon while cheating at Sabacc was quite funny but the way I figure it that still leaves plenty of scope for a future movie to explain the whole "double-crossing no good swindler" thing from ESB alongside tying up that Crimson Dawn story with Maul and the love interest.

All in all I really enjoyed the movie, with the only "off" bits for me being the boss lady on Corellia (who just reminded me of the librarian from Monsters University) and the space alien during the Kessel Run.  I'm surprised but quite glad that they didn't dump TFA's Maz Kanata into the second Sabacc scene although my head-canon has already turned that into her crib.

I'll put in the basics of why it bothers me.
Firstly Han now has the same problem as Rey in TFA and TLJ, he doesn't work to gain any of his skills, nor is there any deeper meaning behind any of his actions now.
Han's iconic blaster? Did you think he customized it and worked it himself? Nope, just a random drop off from a guy who put two parts together and tossed it to him. His iconic name? Nope, random officer joke, the Millenium Falcon modifications Han mentions in OT, nah those were always there apparently. His piloting skills, rather than being honed through years of experience he just sort of has, he's apparently always just been good at Sabacc, having Han actually learn and build off these elements while failing would give us more reason to identify with him as a character and make him more believable. In the OT Han has these skills but it was put in that he'd built them up after a lifetime of smuggling. Instead of a human with flaws that has that Solo charm built up over experiences, Han is now a Gary Stu.
Chewie has apparently been eating humans-let that sink in-and he spares Han because Han asks him in Wookie not to...but Chewie understands Basic...so han just asked him the same question twice.
Lando is virtually unused in the film for the most part, other than piloting them there and his card scene he doesn't really add anything to the film and feels under utilized, his relationship with the droid is-odd to say the least-though in SW there have been characters who banged droids(well at least HRD's that mimic organics in nearly every way so it makes a bit more sense) but the SJW droid just felt out of place, it had some quips I liked(like when Lando asks if it needs anything and it says, "Equal rights?") and the idea of a droid that wants equality is kind of an interesting concept, but the problem is that when it 'frees' all the other droids and they immediately begin something resembling a riot it just makes me think-well do R2 and 3PO think they are slaves? Do ALL droids just silently SCREAM and have their own sexual needs? Was there an actual point to this other than blatant commentary on an SJW trendy issue? Also why is Lando distressed when it is shot? He can literally REPAIR it, it's a droid, grab the memory unit and put it into ANY other droid, it's not like a person.(I actually laughed when he tried pulling it back in and it broke in two-I know it was supposed to be sad and serious but frankly it was humorous)
The Criminal Syndicates grip makes no sense...the Empire has taken over the Galaxy and is the ultimate expression of 'Lawful Evil" yet Imperial Governors can just be executed by Syndicate members with...zero consequence? Even Black Sun at it's height couldn't do that without consequence. Han's mentor's betrayal-while being about as obviously set up as Han dying in TFA-also makes little sense in that he could shoot the Syndicate Boss and them all in that scene and escape-which was his motivation at that point.
The Ravagers...are just...no, I mean what happened to Bail Organa, Mon Mothma and their lot founding the Rebellion(even in Canon) so these Ravagers are the Rebellion's origin hinted now?
Then finally and I say this with utter complete unabashed anger
WHY THE KRIFFING SITHSPIT NERFHERDING EMPERORS BLACK BONES DO WE NEED DARTH MAUL BACK AGAIN?!!!
What is people's obsession with him? He looked cool and was played by a kickass actor, that's IT. He has no development, zero investment and zero depth-(wait now that you mention it his popularity with the majority of people is making more sense...all style, no substance or thought required!)
We had Darth Maul light in Savage Oppress, then we got Darth Maul AGAIN, then in Rebels, now in a Film in IMPERIAL TIME? We know he dies to Kenobi, we know he has no larger effect on the galaxy, he's just mindless fanservice at this point.
"I do not intend to be the Emperor's servant forever..."-High Inquisitor Jerec

"The New Order has never fallen. Only the Emperor."-Grand Moff Ardus Kaine

June 17, 2018, 05:23:18 AMReply #11

Offline kucsidave

• Mod Team Member
  • Grand Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2018, 05:23:18 AM »
Totally agreed.
This movie had no stakes.
1 We knew han didn't end up with the love interest, because OT. Her betraying him was so obvious that even the movie acnowledged it which is even stupider. A better solution would have been that in the end, the girl goes to Han to go together and Han rejects her. This would have also shown OMG what's this? CHARACTER GROWTH???? IMPOSSIBLE. ON TWO CHARACTERS? NOOOOOOOOOOO!
2 We knew he survived, because OT. This was especially bad because Had was put in danger constantly as a CARE ABOUT ME concept. Would have been better to have a mission critical character and putting him/her in danger which would give at least tension.
Other than that, the whole thing was a mess, just as you said.

June 30, 2018, 06:12:25 AMReply #12

Offline Slornie

• Mod Team Member
  • Moff
  • Approval: +54/-13
  • Every Silver Lining has a Cloud
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2018, 06:12:25 AM »
Honestly there are so many double standards when people take aim at the new canon material, even when a lot is exactly the same as or otherwise comparable to something which happened in Legends where miraculously it gets a free pass.

Firstly Han now has the same problem as Rey in TFA and TLJ, he doesn't work to gain any of his skills, nor is there any deeper meaning behind any of his actions now.
Han's iconic blaster? Did you think he customized it and worked it himself? Nope, just a random drop off from a guy who put two parts together and tossed it to him. His iconic name? Nope, random officer joke, the Millenium Falcon modifications Han mentions in OT, nah those were always there apparently. His piloting skills, rather than being honed through years of experience he just sort of has, he's apparently always just been good at Sabacc, having Han actually learn and build off these elements while failing would give us more reason to identify with him as a character and make him more believable. In the OT Han has these skills but it was put in that he'd built them up after a lifetime of smuggling. Instead of a human with flaws that has that Solo charm built up over experiences, Han is now a Gary Stu.

*Iconic blaster: So he was given the gun by someone, big deal. But at this point (in Solo) have any modifications actually been made to it?
*Iconic name: Actually I think I prefer this new casual aside to the rather mundane proper family name implied by Legends (with convenient confusion with another Solo family in Courtship of Princess Leia).  Han does have a family and family name (he mentions his father to Tobias), we just don't know what that is or what happened to them (are they dead or did he just run away?).
*Falcon modifications: Even in Legends a lot of these were originally made by Lando, not Han (although he may have claimed them as his in ANH). The dorsal and ventral cannons? Lando. Hidden smuggling compartments? Lando.  Even hard-wiring L3's brain into the nav-computer is comparable to the described modifications in Legends (and L3's personality fits nicely with the way the Falcon misbehaves in later films).
*Piloting skills: In Solo Han is shown to have grown up in the backstreets of Corellia including hot-wiring and stealing speeders, which is as much of a piloting background as Luke has in ANH.  Han then enrols in the Imperial Academy to escape Corellia (aka pilot training).  As I recall in Legends he had much the same start, albeit going directly to piloting for the Hutt operation on Ylesia (surprise instant awesome pilot!) before even attending the Imperial Academy.  Really the only major difference here is that in Legends it was Han's stated ambition to go to the Academy whereas in the new canon it was driven by circumstance, and then in Legends he was dishonourably discharged from service following the incident where he rescued Chewbacca whereas new canon has him escaping a rather messy execution (death by Wookiee) instead.
*Sabacc: Again, brought up in the backstreets of Corellia.  Presumably that includes gambling?  Honestly I'm more surprised people aren't upset at Lando being made into a cheat rather than being a skilled/lucky player (although I personally liked that twist too).

Lando is virtually unused in the film for the most part, other than piloting them there and his card scene he doesn't really add anything to the film and feels under utilized, his relationship with the droid is-odd to say the least-though in SW there have been characters who banged droids(well at least HRD's that mimic organics in nearly every way so it makes a bit more sense) but the SJW droid just felt out of place, it had some quips I liked(like when Lando asks if it needs anything and it says, "Equal rights?") and the idea of a droid that wants equality is kind of an interesting concept, but the problem is that when it 'frees' all the other droids and they immediately begin something resembling a riot it just makes me think-well do R2 and 3PO think they are slaves? Do ALL droids just silently SCREAM and have their own sexual needs? Was there an actual point to this other than blatant commentary on an SJW trendy issue? Also why is Lando distressed when it is shot? He can literally REPAIR it, it's a droid, grab the memory unit and put it into ANY other droid, it's not like a person.(I actually laughed when he tried pulling it back in and it broke in two-I know it was supposed to be sad and serious but frankly it was humorous)

As I wrote before I really liked L3.  Sure she was written to reflect current societal issues but is that really a problem?  A lot of films and TV include social commentary in one form or another, particularly including another big sci-fi franchise in Star Trek.  Were there not also parallels between the OT and PT and the world in which they were each produced?

Specifically on the equal rights/freedom for droids I do recall that being covered in Legends (although I don't remember exactly where), and on the "feelings" of droids and people for their droids I think that has come across in both previous movies and other Legends material too.  You've got torture and maltreatment of droids at the hands of the Jawas on Tatooine when Luke first meets R2 and C3PO and again in Jabba's Palace.  You have R2 squealing when Luke tries to re-apply the restraining bolt after cleaning him in ANH, and on the human side there's the clear concern of Luke on returning to base after the DS trench run when R2 was badly damaged, and the fact that across all the rest of Legends he categorically refused to allow R2's memory to be wiped (albeit justified as "performance reasons").

The Criminal Syndicates grip makes no sense...the Empire has taken over the Galaxy and is the ultimate expression of 'Lawful Evil" yet Imperial Governors can just be executed by Syndicate members with...zero consequence? Even Black Sun at it's height couldn't do that without consequence.

Considering the sheer size of the Empire, and the amount of corruption and back-stabbing that went on even within the ranks, I don't think this is necessarily far-fetched.  Don't forget that this is still an Empire in ascendance (10 years before ANH, 9 years after RotS).  Governors and other officers were frequently bought or blackmailed by various underworld elements so killing one off surely isn't that much more of a step.  And there can only be consequences if someone takes enough notice to investigate and then also finds enough evidence to finger the Syndicate. 

WHY THE KRIFFING SITHSPIT NERFHERDING EMPERORS BLACK BONES DO WE NEED DARTH MAUL BACK AGAIN?!!!
What is people's obsession with him? He looked cool and was played by a kickass actor, that's IT. He has no development, zero investment and zero depth-(wait now that you mention it his popularity with the majority of people is making more sense...all style, no substance or thought required!)
We had Darth Maul light in Savage Oppress, then we got Darth Maul AGAIN, then in Rebels, now in a Film in IMPERIAL TIME? We know he dies to Kenobi, we know he has no larger effect on the galaxy, he's just mindless fanservice at this point.

Why did people have so much of an obsession for Boba Fett in Legends?  He was on screen for minutes, hardly said or did anything of import and died an ignoble death inside the Sarlacc - until suddenly he didn't actually die and made a miraculous escape to have more adventures.

The fact that Maul now has those additional appearances in TCW and Rebels surely means he has that character development.  And technically I think Solo takes place a few years before Rebels, so I imagine the intention is to tie up the Crimson Dawn plot from the movie into the latter events either via a sequel or through another medium.
Quote from: RonMaverick291 (Gametrailers)
why do u hate america? if it were not for us u guys would be lost. i mean we invented the tv, we invented the internet, cars and we even went to the planet moon. we won all the wars and we always help the little countries who cant fight and we give food to poor people.

June 30, 2018, 04:25:54 PMReply #13

Offline derp

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2018, 04:25:54 PM »
If you're truly wondering why this movie failed, it was marketing disaster with the production team attacking Star Wars fans on twitter. This is Hollywood, people with a middle school mentality that can't handle comments from the internet.
"I am not the Lord Darth Vader--I do not spend my men recklessly. Nor do I take their deaths lightly."
Grand Admiral Thrawn

June 30, 2018, 08:00:50 PMReply #14

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2018, 08:00:50 PM »
This was doom from the start. TLJ did not help this movie at all.
So let me go down the list.
1. The Firing of Lord and Miller.
2. The announcement of reshoots
3. TLJ
4. Repeated insulting comments towards fans who dont like TLJ.
5. Lack of information about the film's plot.
6. Extremely offensive comments made by memebers of LF.

Also i dont understand Slorine what was the point of the L3 social commentary. Equal Rights? Thats not a problem in most countries the film is even being allow to be shown in. Their are plenty of other things you could talk about that are equally more important. Like the war drugs using spice as a cataylist or hell maybe the criminal underworld and what life is like on the street.
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!