Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Interesting freeze ups.  (Read 1576 times)

May 19, 2018, 07:01:00 PM

Offline Onikenshin

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Interesting freeze ups.
« on: May 19, 2018, 07:01:00 PM »
Ah good to be back, nobody remembers me that's okay.

Been a couple of years since I played last and glad to see the newest updates for Ascendancy and ICW. Naturally I installed everything back on

Love the balancing and the new HUD And UI things but I am running into a problem that seem random to me. I have tried playing the smallest GC and the larger ones, two things happen.

When I stack up a unit, sometimes it's a huge stack, sometimes it is three ships that start on the same planet (So sometimes 30 minutes into the game or 3 minutes) or even move a stack the game will freeze and become unresponsive, requiring me to restart my PC to get it off the screen.

Something I also noticed in the longer games it lets me play is when I save (I made the autosave file read only) it will freeze as well, though I read in the forums about that being a known issue that the developer is looking into.

So that's what I am lookin at, I have not yet played Skirmish matches but that is next on my list. I should not have been lazy and tried it before posting here but oh well I guess.

Anyways, hope nobody else is experiencing this. Hope there's something I can do. Great game.

May 28, 2018, 09:06:44 AMReply #1

Offline Corey

• Mod Leader
  • Administrator
  • Emperor
  • Approval: +410/-80
  • Dream Crusher
    • View Profile
Re: Interesting freeze ups.
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2018, 09:06:44 AM »
Unfortunately, I don't know what would be causing the first issue. As for this:

Something I also noticed in the longer games it lets me play is when I save (I made the autosave file read only) it will freeze as well, though I read in the forums about that being a known issue that the developer is looking into.

It's not really classified as an "issue", it's an unfortunate side effect of a necessary change. It's not technically freezing, it just takes a while to save, they had to remove certain caching functions while saving because otherwise, you end up with the issue where when you try to load a save file, it would crash because certain memory pointers were above the 2 GB limit, and in other cases saving large save files would result in the file being corrupted. From what I know, PG is looking into opptions for people to disable autosaves specifically, however you're unlikely to see any change on the amount of time it takes to save in general.
I also have a YouTube channel where I talk about mod development and gaming, do tutorials, and Let's Plays. If you like the content, consider supporting it on Patreon

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!