Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Jedi Academy doesn't want to run on Win7, would appreciate any help.  (Read 2452 times)

May 15, 2018, 07:25:16 AM

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
So I decided to relive the good old days and install Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy. I did, and now it doesn't want to run whatever I do. I googled this issue, and saw that it's pretty common with modern PCs (mine isn't exactly modern, but definitely good enough to run JA), and there are two issues at play here. Firstly, the in-game resolution is outdated, and I read somewhere that you should manually put your PC's resolution in (mine's 1280 x 800). Secondly, the graphics drivers are badly outdated, too. I tried to find right ones online, but so far to no avail, even though I haven't yet spent too much time on this issue, and perhaps I don't quite understand what exactly is required to fix it. If anyone has encountered a similar situation, and knows what to do, I would appreciate greatly any help I can get. Thanks in advance!

If it helps, here's the log that pops up on the screen each time the game crashes out (which happens every time I launch it):
JA: v1.0.1.0 win-x86 Oct 24 2003
Initialising zone memory .....
----- FS_Startup -----
Current search path:
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets3.pk3 (16 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets2.pk3 (62 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets1.pk3 (8320 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData\base\assets0.pk3 (15346 files)
D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData/base

----------------------
23744 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing jaconfig.cfg
Unknown command "vid_restart"
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg
...detecting CPU, found Intel Pentium IV

------- Input Initialization -------
Skipping check for DirectInput
Joystick is not active.
------------------------------------
----- Client Initialization -----
----- Initializing Renderer ----
-------------------------------
----- Client Initialization Complete -----
--- Common Initialization Complete ---
Working directory: D:\Games\Star Wars Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy\GameData
Initializing OpenGL subsystem
...initializing QGL
succeeded
...setting mode -1: 800 600 FS
...using desktop display depth of 32
...calling CDS: ok
...registered window class
...created window@0,0 (800x600)
Initializing OpenGL driver
...getting DC: succeeded
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 8 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 32, 24, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...failed to find an appropriate PIXELFORMAT
...restoring display settings
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (-1)
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
...GLW_ChoosePFD( 16, 16, 0 )
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

July 01, 2018, 10:21:48 AMReply #1

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
Ok, so I've purchased Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy on Steam now (I tried to install a retail version before), and it still doesn't run. Here's the message that pops up:

...WARNING: could not set the given mode (4)
...setting mode 3: 640 480 FS
...using colorsbits of 16
...created window@0,0 (640x480)
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...35 PFDs found
...GLW_ChoosePFD failed
...WARNING: could not set the given mode (3)
...shutting down QGL
...unloading OpenGL DLL
----- CL_Shutdown -----
-----------------------
GLW_StartOpenGL() - could not load OpenGL subsystem

Again, would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

July 18, 2018, 04:24:15 AMReply #2

• Rear Admiral
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
Just purchased myself a new PC, and from now on will be moving onto a string of much newer, possibly better games, so I guess my little problem with JA is no longer an issue. If moderators are reading this, you can delete this whole thread, because it does not have a purpose anymore. Thanks.

July 21, 2018, 08:15:05 PMReply #3

Offline Mitthrawnuruodo

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-0
    • View Profile
I had the same problem, what worked for me was downgrading my graphics card driver.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!