Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Stormtroopers or Army Troopers?  (Read 1928 times)

April 25, 2018, 08:44:16 AM

Offline Magus

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • Ars Magisterii
Stormtroopers or Army Troopers?
« on: April 25, 2018, 08:44:16 AM »
Which do you prefer to build? Why? Under what situations (if any) would you make the opposite decision?

April 25, 2018, 09:25:55 AMReply #1

Offline Zardnaar

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Stormtroopers or Army Troopers?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
Which do you prefer to build? Why? Under what situations (if any) would you make the opposite decision?

I build a bit of both, I quit like army troopers due to 5 units vs 4 initially (2 grab landing zones, 2 on a build pad, 1 heads for sensor array etc). My plans do not generally use a lot of infantry though except perhaps early on and in GCs where you get a lot of them early on. I probably go with stormies more though out of habit if nothing else.

Caamas, here come my 28 stormies and 4 AT-STs because I don't have anything better.

April 25, 2018, 10:25:39 AMReply #2

Offline Grand Admiral Rufaan Tigellinus

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-0
  • One of the 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »
Since I always use 2 or 3 AT-ATs, which deploy Army Troopers as their ability, and because the only use of infantry for me is to capture stuff, I don't build any at all. On some maps where AT-ATs are less useful (Endor, with the ewok swarm, for instance), you do need something else, but as Zardnaar said, you get plenty of stormtroopers in your starting forces (something like 3 platoons on every second planet), which for me is impossible to run out of, since, as I said, I only use them in tactical purposes. As for which of them is actually better in combat, I'd say stormies, but again, Imperials aren't supposed to rely on infantry anyway, with the choice of armor, you really don't need them that much.

Having said that, I'm yet to play as Zsinj or the Pentastar Alignment in 2.2, and they have AT-TEs now instead of AT-ATs, which means no free infantry. So I guess that changes things a bit for these two factions. I'd go for Stormtroopers over Army Troopers then. However, Zsinj has Raptor Troops, and PA has Storm Commandos and stuff, so there are different choices to make. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses, I'd assume.
"To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering" - Friedrich Nietzsche

"Maybe those nihilist philosophers are right; maybe this is all we can expect of the universe, a relentless crushing of life and spirit, because the equilibrium state of the cosmos is death" - Arthur C. Clarke

"We even ignited the first atomic bomb on the day commemorating the transfiguration of Christ, thus unconsciously signaling that we intended likewise to transform the world, not only after the light but after darkness - with a blast that burned several times hotter than the surface of the sun." - Stanislav Grof, "Human Survival and Consciousness Evolution"

April 25, 2018, 02:46:12 PMReply #3

Offline Bucman55

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +4/-0
  • Come on, boss, when have I ever let you down?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 02:46:12 PM »
I prefer to use the Enforcer Troopers (PA's Army Troopers) as defensive units, they have more health than stormies and since they're on defense firing on the move doesn't really matter much.

Having said that, I'm yet to play as Zsinj or the Pentastar Alignment in 2.2, and they have AT-TEs now instead of AT-ATs, which means no free infantry. So I guess that changes things a bit for these two factions. I'd go for Stormtroopers over Army Troopers then. However, Zsinj has Raptor Troops, and PA has Storm Commandos and stuff, so there are different choices to make. All of them have their strengths and weaknesses, I'd assume.

PA does not have Storm Commandos.

April 25, 2018, 05:00:35 PMReply #4

Offline Zardnaar

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2018, 05:00:35 PM »
Infantry is mostly for capturing landing zones or if you';re getting desperate 9they have killed everything else).

I don't use the commando types. They are a cheap and cheerful way of killing turbolaser turrets as the turbolasers inflict sod all damage to them and you can throw waves of them at them. Urrah Stalin wave attacks works and losing 8-10 infantry is about the same price as a tank.

And then you have Wayland which can build all the infantry you need.

They are also useful early on defending planets you can't defend with your fleets. Cheap fortress worlds.

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!