Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Novelizations.  (Read 1982 times)

February 27, 2018, 06:40:37 PM

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
Novelizations.
« on: February 27, 2018, 06:40:37 PM »
Recently over discord Hexdous Scar, Mr.Puerto and I got into a argument over the Novelizations of the Star Wars movie. The argument was over whether the Novelizations are canon or not.

According to Mr.Puerto they aren't because Pablo Hidalgo, one of the leads in the story tweeted they were not really canon.
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/389477362104008705/417909179693531146/unknown.png

I argue they are based on the fact that they are design to fix in plot holes, issues, and questions to various things. I also argue Pablo cant dictate canon lore based on a tweet. I also argue that the canon policy said otherwise and that Lore could not be determined based on tweets unless it was from the Offical Star Wars facebook and Twiiter and not the Twitter/Facebook of story group memebers.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Wookieepedia:Canon_policy

We need the lore nutts here to help us out since this arguement had no real ending.
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

February 27, 2018, 08:51:33 PMReply #1

Offline Ordinarygamer96

• Brevet Admiral
  • Approval: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Novelizations.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:51:33 PM »
It is canon because disney has said everything they release now that is book, show, or movie is canon. No argument. He probably just meant the next movie wont acknowledge it outright.

February 28, 2018, 02:46:23 AMReply #2

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2018, 02:46:23 AM »

It has been said that "the novelizations are canon until they contradict with the movies". From that you can argue they are or they aren't canon. The point is, as it has always been, that the film makers don't care of the books, novels,... when they made their movies (hence the old canon rankings which still exist if not by name).

But is that worst than the new policy to retale a story in a story so the first story is half canon ? You know what I mean if you know Star Wars Adventures, some of the Junior Novelizations, All Creatures Great and Small, Phasma novel, The Legends of Luke Skywalker and last but not least, From A Certain Point Of View with no less that 40 stories that contradict between them and can hardly considered canon. So nothing is sure in these stories, if a future inconsistency appears they will be like "hey, you know the story of this book never happened, it's just a in-universe fairy tale". And there's more and more of this half-canon stuff.

February 28, 2018, 06:49:59 PMReply #3

Offline Illidan Stormrage

• Admiral
  • Approval: +17/-10
  • Killing a Emperor doesnt end a Empire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 06:49:59 PM »
But is that worst than the new policy to retale a story in a story so the first story is half canon ? You know what I mean if you know Star Wars Adventures, some of the Junior Novelizations, All Creatures Great and Small, Phasma novel, The Legends of Luke Skywalker and last but not least, From A Certain Point Of View with no less that 40 stories that contradict between them and can hardly considered canon. So nothing is sure in these stories, if a future inconsistency appears they will be like "hey, you know the story of this book never happened, it's just a in-universe fairy tale". And there's more and more of this half-canon stuff.
That's stupid that they will not tell us what is canon and not. Yet somehow forces of Destiny is still canon.

The issue I was truly talking about was TLJ Novelization because its being written by Jason Fry and he is going to give us explanations for things like:
1. The state of the Galaxy
2. Holdo's reason for not telling Holdo the plan
3. various other plotholes.

The debate i had with Mr.Puerto was that whether the new novelizations are canon or not. The issue i had was that he was saying anything stated in those books was Null and Void and arent canon

What this causes now is Muiltple cannonities now
We now have:
Legends
Lego Star Wars(yes it has its on canonity)
Canon
Infinties
Canon non-canon(Certain Point of view, the Novelizations, and comic book adapations)
Legends non canon(Dark Starkiller force unleased shit)

This is simply fucking confusing.
"The Empire did nothing wrong obviously" :)
"Your Memes will make a fine addition to my collection"
"YOU ARE NOT PREPARED!"

March 01, 2018, 02:51:36 AMReply #4

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 02:51:36 AM »
That's stupid that they will not tell us what is canon and not. Yet somehow forces of Destiny is still canon.

Yes it is, way more canon than the things I've mentioned.

The issue i had was that he was saying anything stated in those books was Null and Void and arent canon

As long as they depict exactly the movie they are :angel:
That's probably why the novelization of TLJ is coming that late.

Lego Star Wars(yes it has its on canonity)

In fact, events from the Freemaker Adventures are mentioned in canon sources (Poe Dameron comic books for example). So... ???

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!