Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!

Author Topic: Has Hyperspace Travel ever been put down to specifics?  (Read 2001 times)

January 29, 2018, 01:11:42 PM

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
Has Hyperspace Travel ever been put down to specifics?
« on: January 29, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
I know what/how Hyperspace travel is/works, you get a ship with a hyperdrive and a navicomputer, you calculate your coordinates and boom everything turns into blue and white pretty lines. My question is on the specifics of how fast hyperspace travel is and how long it takes to travel in the sense of averages, and if it's been actually put down to numbers yet.

I'm assuming that they leave hyperspace travel to pure fantasy, as trips can take seconds to days it seems, Yavin IV to Scarif was nothing, but Hoth to Dagobah looked like it took a bit, etc. Let's not bother with Parsecs cause that's a unit of distance. But yeah, has there been much science put behind it at all? Curious is all.
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

January 31, 2018, 02:43:42 AMReply #1

Offline taupin121

• Rear Admiral
  • Approval: +6/-4
  • Solo Command
    • View Profile
Re: Has Hyperspace Travel ever been put down to specifics?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 02:43:42 AM »
everything turns into blue and white pretty lines

To be precise, the ship goes into another dimension.

My question is on the specifics of how fast hyperspace travel is and how long it takes to travel in the sense of averages, and if it's been actually put down to numbers yet.

No, each author chose as it fits the best his story but some sources can quote things possible/impossible, but nobody sorted something out from them.

January 31, 2018, 12:41:00 PMReply #2

Offline Pentastar Enforcer

• Vice Admiral
  • Approval: +8/-2
  • Hi everyone!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 12:41:00 PM »
Well as long as I can go .5 past lightspeed I'll be happy  ;)
The Galactic Empire - The best thing to happen to the galaxy since Midichlorian counts.

February 17, 2018, 02:03:43 PMReply #3

Offline Daanishmalik

• Stormtrooper Captain
  • Approval: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 02:03:43 PM »
Was it ever talked about in the novels of the science behind hyperspace travel

February 18, 2018, 07:36:07 AMReply #4

Offline Pali

• Tester
  • Admiral
  • Approval: +39/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 07:36:07 AM »
Was it ever talked about in the novels of the science behind hyperspace travel

Nope.  In fairness, few sci-fi franchises delve into the depths of their FTL systems, for the simple reason that they are all fantasy: warp drive, hyperdrive, wormhole travel, quantum gates... as far as modern science is concerned, they may as well be alchemy 500 years ago.  Some of the ideas sort of fit into either relativity or quantum mechanics, but for the most part they are simply plot devices, intended to move our protagonists from point A to point B so they can meet the antagonist at point C at the right time.  So far as modern science is concerned, Star Wars hyperdrives are magic.  Warp drives as presented in Star Trek are equally magical, and though the Alcubierre Drive makes a noble attempt at making them simply hypothetical such a drive still is reliant upon the hypothetical discovery of types of matter that may well not exist.  The Expanse's Epstein drive is probably the most realistic "sci-fi engine" in modern sci-fi, but that's because it doesn't allow for FTL travel, it simply allows sublight travel to be done at economically-sustainable acceleration rates via a hyper-efficient ion engine (ion engines are already a real thing, though they are nowhere near Epstein-levels of efficiency).

Star Wars has always been high fantasy in space rather than hard sci-fi.  Expecting it to live up to the demands of hard sci-fi series is a recipe for disappointment IMO.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:37:48 AM by Pali »

Those working on this mod do so in their own free time and for no pay.
Show your support for them by enabling ads on this site!